My blue tang is dying or just sleeping???? Ahhh!!!!

Rossio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Ive just brought a blue tang to my tank and everything was just great!!! She was dancing, explring ... She seemed to by really happy... I went out and when I came back aI found her lying in the aragonitr, likr dying!!! Mu husband got shocked too and moved it snd she was like sleepy or dying (light of the tank were already off) and ... Ahhh now we are reading they do that!!!! Ahhh now I dont know if we are just frecking out or its normal... Please help!!! Tks!!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

TonsOfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they do that a lot. As long as it looks like it is still breathing, and eventually gets up of course lol, should be fine. It's like playing opossum.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my dime sized baby blue tang... He "hides" like this and sometimes rests like this... Totally normal... and funny!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365330795.322818.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365330850.890987.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomterreefic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo Tangs often like to lie down to rest. I met several people that ran out to buy "Dori" after "Finding Nemo" and then came into the store upset thinking their fish was dieing because it was simply resting.

Here's a good read from www.wetwebmedia.com on common behavior of these fish.

Biology/Other

A quick note here concerning this species propensity for lying on its side, and sidewise "glancing" against the systems substrate. This sort of behavior is natural and to be expected. Do be on the look out for external parasitic problems should yours seem to "scratch too much", and if need be, move the item your tang seems "stuck in" rather than attempt extricating it.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

cbb_70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this ALL the time when resting or scared... very common behavior. Blue tangs are also very big wimps and will always be the first to hide.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually trained mine a bit. He'll hide. I find him. He gets a pellet. They can be ravenous eaters and will do anything for a pellet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went to work sad because I thought mine had died, I was calling my sister to get it out for me because I was late and she called saying everything swimming around, it has to be the
It's annoying thing my fish does

OP
OP
Rossio

Rossio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!! Thank you guys!!!! I was also kinda sad! I had read about blue tangs but it was still a surprise to see it! Well I'll keep looking very well... Now I'm happy!

Thom24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad for this forum, thanks! I purchased one last night, woke up and he was lying on the bottom of my qt! but he’s fine. Maybe since I have him with a flame angel... 20 gal with 2 hiding pvc’s and the flame has already named hers lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back