My boss has ordered an ORA Acro from Algaebarn. I want your thoughts on how to acclimate it to the tank...

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess he was drinking a bit while looking at stuff on his phone and ordered a few items. One of them being an Acro. He got this one...

It is being shipped in and should be here tomorrow. Would you drip it after heat acclimation? Time etc? I am going to bring my salt refracterthingy to check salinity of their tank water vs. ours. I'm not sure what Ora recommends...

Tank is 90 gallons. (See pic down below)

20220705_160148.jpg

I appreciate any advice you give me.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
this is just me, but i would still temp acclimate the bag and dip. i don't even drip acclimate corals anymore, just temp acclimate, and dip, then swap out the frag plugs for a new one(if able), then put on the frag rack.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess he was drinking a bit while looking at stuff on his phone and ordered a few items. One of them being an Acro. He got this one...

It is being shipped in and should be here tomorrow. Would you drip it after heat acclimation? Time etc? I am going to bring my salt refracterthingy to check salinity of their tank water vs. ours. I'm not sure what Ora recommends...

Tank is 90 gallons. (See pic down below)

20220705_160148.jpg

I appreciate any advice you give me.
+1
Temp acclimate, dip in coral cleaner, swap out the plug or magnifying glass over the whole thing and in it goes.
I assume it's going as high up as possible.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Temp acclimate, dip in coral cleaner, swap out the plug or magnifying glass over the whole thing and in it goes.
I assume it's going as high up as possible.

I didn't know he was getting this so he kind of threw me. The best possible spot for me to pick is on the left side above the Green star polyp. That is going to give it the best height+light coverage. So it is fairly high up. Those rocks way in the back are too shaded.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is just me, but i would still temp acclimate the bag and dip. i don't even drip acclimate corals anymore, just temp acclimate, and dip, then swap out the frag plugs for a new one(if able), then put on the frag rack.
+1

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro.jpg

The best picture I can get. (Curved glass) They put it on one of those annoying black spikey frag pieces. I know it is hack but we found a hole to stick in. I know people cut their acros at the base and glue them in place but I'm not comfortable doing that. Given the reputation this coral has I felt not ticking it off to give it a good start in the tank was best.

Again I didn't know he ordered this. So this is a big shocker for me in the tank. I dose Calc and Alk during the week (cause it is a work tank). We will see what happens! Thanks for the help guys.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't drip acclimate coral anymore personally, I just dip & add straight to a frag rack that is low in the tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back