My Build Thread - 90 gallon

WillPenfold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just actually signed up for R2R.

so this is my third reef tank build. First one was 6 years ago- built a 75 gallon mixed. That lasted 3 years until I moved. Next was my 32 gallon biocube build. That tank lasted just under two years- unfortunately coincided with my wife having a baby so the tank was neglected for good periods of time.

Just before Christmas I decided to start a new tank because I had an old 90 gallon tank sitting in my basement collecting dust. (And my biocube looked like crap) Had a buddy of mine who owns a welding shop put together a bare bones stand for me.
8C0F2013-8AB4-475C-AA18-DF0647269DD8.jpeg

I wanted something that was sturdy but that I could access from all sides. We tested the stand before hand with lots of weight to make sure it could withstand the weight of the tank filled with rocks and water.

9ACA9F85-2CF6-4318-9B0D-800C9C0351B0.jpeg

Built my aquascape out of used rock. Bought it off of a few people who were tearing apart their tanks. Bleached cured the rocks for two weeks and then another week in RODI + Prime.

I’ll admit that I’m not a fan of negative scape aquascaping but I also didn’t want a huge pile of rocks. Ended up making numerous caves in my rock work.

anyways I’m now three weeks in. Dropped biospira in 3 weeks ago and the cycle completed pretty quickly. Was my first time using bottle bacteria.

the tank has Jebao wave makers on it. The protein skimmer is a brand made by my LFS. Decent price and works great.

my sump is a 40 gallon with filter socks, marine pure, protein skimmer and a fuge underneath the filter socks (only place I had room).

There’s a Kessil a160 fuge light to grow macro.

My past two reef tanks I’ve used Kessil A360’s so this time I wanted to try T5s to see if I like them better. Picked up a used TEK light- 6 bulb from another reefer for $150. Was quite happy with that.

lastly, can’t see it because it’s behind the tank but I also plumbed in an Aqua 25 watt UV sterilize.

Anyways that’s about it for my new build.

I look forward to posting more on this forum.

Will

Last edited:

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just actually signed up for R2R.

so this is my third reef tank build. First one was 6 years ago- built a 75 gallon mixed. That lasted 3 years until I moved. Next was my 32 gallon biocube build. That tank lasted just under two years- unfortunately coincided with my wife having a baby so the tank was neglected for good periods of time.

Just before Christmas I decided to start a new tank because I had an old 90 gallon tank sitting in my basement collecting dust. (And my biocube looked like crap) Had a buddy of mine who owns a welding shop put together a bare bones stand for me.
8C0F2013-8AB4-475C-AA18-DF0647269DD8.jpeg

I wanted something that was sturdy but that I could access from all sides. We tested the stand before hand with lots of weight to make sure it could withstand the weight of the tank filled with rocks and water.

9ACA9F85-2CF6-4318-9B0D-800C9C0351B0.jpeg

Built my aquascape out of used rock. Bought it off of a few people who were tearing apart their tanks. Bleached cured the rocks for two weeks and then another week in RODI + Prime.

I’ll admit that I’m not a fan of negative scape aquascaping but I also didn’t want a huge pile of rocks. Ended up making numerous caves in my rock work.

anyways I’m now three weeks in. Dropped biospira in 3 weeks ago and the cycle completed pretty quickly. Was my first time using bottle bacteria.

the tank has Jebao wave makers on it. The protein skimmer is a brand made by my LFS. Decent price and works great.

my sump is a 40 gallon with filter socks, marine pure, protein skimmer and a fuge underneath the filter socks (only place I had room).

There’s a Kessil a160 fuge light to grow macro.

My past two reef tanks I’ve used Kessil A360’s so this time I wanted to try T5s to see if I like them better. Picked up a used TEK light- 6 bulb from another reefer for $150. Was quite happy with that.

lastly, can’t see it because it’s behind the tank but I also plumbed in an Aqua 25 watt UV sterilize.

Anyways that’s about it for my new build.

I look forward to posting more on this forum.

Will
Tank looks sick!!! I love the stand, the metal bars are just 10/10 if I knew how to weld or could do it with little cost I would!! Super clean!!!

OP
OP
WillPenfold

WillPenfold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks sick!!! I love the stand, the metal bars are just 10/10 if I knew how to weld or could do it with little cost I would!! Super clean!!!

Thanks! Yeah I was really happy with the stand. Was equally happy my buddy just charged me for materials and asked for a case of beer as payment.

OP
OP
WillPenfold

WillPenfold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took an updated shot of the tank tonight because I wanted to see what it looked like with the blues on. Will be resisting the urge to keep them on and will be leaving the lights off for at least another month.

1612837272381.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back