my build thread/upgrade thread

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my current tank. i originally wanted bought a 65 gal from petsmart, but with being worried about multiple things, since this was my first SWF tank, i figured i would start small in case i ran into problems, and had to move from apartment to a new home, so i decided to go with a 20 gal long tank. the stand came with my 65 gal, but works well for this tank. for a filter, i have a canister filter below the tank.
20210903_191441.jpg

now that i feel more comfortable, and wanted to dive into having more corals, i have decided to setup the 65 gal tank that i bought originally. problem was, the stand that you see above, was the stand that came with the tank, so in order for me to upgrade, i had to make a new stand. i finally got around to finishing it. nearly anyway. i ran out of stain and cant find the same stuff, so you will have to excuse the front part that is not stained yet. shortly, i am going to add a shelf inside of the stand as well, for the mess of different foods/additives as seen above. also, i wanted to make something that would allow me to store the skimmer and filter setup that i am also making.

20210903_191455.jpg

20210903_191505.jpg

as you can see, i havent dont any plumbing yet, but now that i have it setup, i can start measuring and purchasing the fixtures and whatnot, probably this weekend.

now that i have this done, i can start the plumbing and the sump work. also, i am starting to do my rockwork. i havent put anythign together quite yet, as i am going to do an NSA setup. still coming up with design ideas for it at the moment.

more to come

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically finished with the sump. Need to pickup more fikter socks and mechanical media, but most of it is ready. Just need to get some plexi to drill out to use as the filter sock holder, and that will complete this. From right to left, there is the dual chamber inlet which exits to the skimmer, which then goes to the left, under the glass to the refugium, where I will also keep stone and whatnot. To the left, it pours over into other filtration such as a filter pad or other media like carbon, if needed. They finally, into the return
20211007_101958.jpg
20211007_101914.jpg

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Got everything completed, build wise. Added water. No leaks. Just tweaking things for flow rate and whatnot. Right now the setup is silent, but I need to increase the flow back into the tank to maximize gph filtration. Also need to mount the controllers.
20211023_203259.jpg

20211023_203348.jpg

20211023_203410.jpg

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of yesterday, looks like my cycle finished on my upgraded tank. I decided to wait until ammonia was obviously at zero, but made sure to wait for nitrite to be absolute zero as well. What was odd is that just 2 days before, ammonia was at .5 and nitrie was at1, so I didn't expect it to be ready that soon after since it seemed like it was taking its sweet time.
Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I bought a couple chromis as test subjects so that i didn't risk any of my tenured fish. They survived and are doing well, so I bought a couple clowns to help keep the cycle going. Everything is going good with the. I will start moving my fish over slowly week by week. Obviously I'm fighting the ugly stage right now,but once I get my diamond goby over, that will help with the sand
20211120_175648.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back