My CadLights 70G ArtisanII

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm an old reefer, I'm learning new information every day. Some through trial and error and much more through questions asked on this forum. Through many years of reading and researching, I've found this forum to be the most constructive and productive of any other site. I hope to share and receive feedback from everyone on the forum. I'm not bashful but at the same time I like to think of myself to be humble. Anyone's feedback is greatly appreciated and welcome.
About me:
I've been in some sort of wet over the last 33 years. I've raised Discus to Perculas. The last 25 years have been saltwater, started off with a 125G FOWLR up to todays 70G mixed reef. I consider myself to be neck deep in the addiction, or as my better half says" My other Wife". lol
My current setup is:
Cad Lights 70G Artisan II w/ a DA RKE Controller w/ NET, dual PB4s and a DP1 for topoff. Aquatic Life XS Series LED fixture and a Quad T5 w/ ATI Blue and Purple+ bulbs. Ecotech MP10WQD 2x for back to front circulation and a XF130 for side to side circulation. A CL (Cads Light) 150G Cone Skimmer w/ delayed timer, 15G baffled sump. A DCT4000 for my return and a DC3000 for my sump manifold that feeds a 5" BRS reactor w/ ROX8 and GFO as needed and circulation for my sump. An A160WE Tuna Sun LED for my sump light. 2x 4" circulation fans in the stand, one pulling and the other pushing air. A Trigger Systems Ruby ATO 10 Gallon. ESHOPPS dual chamber container for Ca and Kh additives w/ a Aqua Medic 2 channel dosser. Skimz BR83 BP reactor. Various Korallen-Zucht and recently AquaForest additives. Reef Crystals salt. BRS 4-stage RODI unit.
My live stock consists of:
Pair of Flame and Rhomboidalis Wrasses, Yellowtail Tamarin wrasse, Mystery Wrasse. Soon to be; Melanurus Wrasse, Yellow Coris wrasse, Royal Grama. Numerous CUC livestock.
Way too many corals to list, I'll let the pictures speak to them.
As you can tell, I decided to go this time with mostly wrasse fish. I just find the activity and colors of them to be very appealing and conversational fish.

The Beginning -
After having a custom built 90G Reef tank, it was difficult to determine the type of tank I wanted. I had to sale the 90G tank due to health and other factors. I searched long and hard for the tank I wanted. I had many factors determining what I could get, space, $$ and livestock wishes. I finally determined that the Cad Lights 70G was what would fit my specifications. I read every bit of information available about the tank and supporting equipment I needed. I knew going in that this was a long lead time process for determining what I needed and how to fit it in my budget constraints. It took me @ 1 year to shop all of the sales I could find to get all of my equipment together. I planned on doing this in a one shot approach so I could engineer it with knowledge of the exact equipment I was going to use. So after a couple of months installing equipment and water tests I had my build completed.
Now for pictures, that I could find:rolleyes:, of my Reef Tank.

The Start-

Temporary Holding Tank. There was a lot of warfare going on in here...
257334-59dbbab0e8968bba0acafcb292cdc2ee.jpg

Cadlights 70g unpacked.

The original sump light was a JBJ 10.0. I replaced with a Kessil Tuna Sun A160WE.

The Cabinet -
Start-

Final arrangement -

Final:rolleyes: aquascape??

After everything that survived the transfer, It's in the tank -

Some progress shots. Sorry for bad phone pics but until next week, it's all I have. My DSLR bit the dust. So far so good. Growth has picked up since stabilizing the tank. Not chasing the numbers, just trying to keep it stable on the primaries and giving a little boost with the additives.

My Rainbow RBTAs. Tried two different vendors to gauge any differences. Not that many.

Looking through the left side of tank

Temp frag rack

My Zoa garden Corner

Symphyllia and Fungia Corner

Some recent shots -

So starts a new journey to places unknown.

More to come. Hope you enjoyed a small portion of my piece of the ocean.

Loripes 1_15_16.jpg

Leftside 1_15_16.jpg

70G_1b.jpg

Anenomes.jpg

BR83.jpg

Ecotechs.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

Temp Tank2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I messed this one up:eek: I'll try to re-post the pictures in the order I plannedo_O

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kicking the tire on my new camera. Not any good yet but will get there.

Myagi Tort.jpg

Blasto2.jpg

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, your tank is looking awesome! I love your choice of having mostly wrasse. They are without a doubt my favorite type of fish. I currently have a McCosker's flasher and plan to get a leopard wrasse once I set my new tank up.

I have the exact same tank/stand/sump and skimmer that you have. I haven't set it up yet because I'm about to move in a couple months so right now it's in the planning stage.

I am considering buying two MP10w's but I noticed this tank's thickness is above their recommendation. Does it feel like you have a firm magnetic connection on yours? My concern was that the external part might get bumped into and disconnect easily.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your updates! I am definitely going to steal your exhaust fan idea... that seems like a great way to keep your sump humidity down.

Keep us updated as you progress, good luck!

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. Following along. We both use crazy amounts of flow. I have an MP10 and MP40 on the tank.

Looking forward to seeing more images.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, your tank is looking awesome! I love your choice of having mostly wrasse. They are without a doubt my favorite type of fish. I currently have a McCosker's flasher and plan to get a leopard wrasse once I set my new tank up.

I have the exact same tank/stand/sump and skimmer that you have. I haven't set it up yet because I'm about to move in a couple months so right now it's in the planning stage.

I am considering buying two MP10w's but I noticed this tank's thickness is above their recommendation. Does it feel like you have a firm magnetic connection on yours? My concern was that the external part might get bumped into and disconnect easily.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your updates! I am definitely going to steal your exhaust fan idea... that seems like a great way to keep your sump humidity down.

Keep us updated as you progress, good luck!
I've had to place tie wrap mounts near the motor to secure in place. Since I did that I've had no issues with the mag connection between the motor and wetside. Look forward to seeing your setup when you get it going. I love mine and so far no issues. Check out Coralvue for plumbing parts. They carry the metric pieces and I used the gate valve they have for my sump feed. Very reasonable prices. The stock return pump from CL is not very good, so I went with a DCT4000 for mine and could not be happier. Let me know if I can help in anyway, not an expert but I have years of learning from mistakes:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx everyone. Still learning to shoot with this new DSLR. It's SOOO different that my previous one. Got some tubes today, so I hope to play with them soon.
Thx gain for all the kind words

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to place tie wrap mounts near the motor to secure in place. Since I did that I've had no issues with the mag connection between the motor and wetside. Look forward to seeing your setup when you get it going. I love mine and so far no issues. Check out Coralvue for plumbing parts. They carry the metric pieces and I used the gate valve they have for my sump feed. Very reasonable prices. The stock return pump from CL is not very good, so I went with a DCT4000 for mine and could not be happier. Let me know if I can help in anyway, not an expert but I have years of learning from mistakes:)
Do you think there is any way you could post a picture of how you have your MP10s rigged with the tie wrap mount? I am having a hard time picturing it. or just email me a pic at dturner7 at gmail dot com.

I think I am going to stick with the standard plumbing out of laziness. Your plumbing definitely looks awesome though. In regard to the return, I have a higher GPH version of the stock pump ready to hook up. I believe it's closer to 750gph while the original one is closer to 500... I'm thinking it should suffice.

Thanks for replying with answers to my question. I will send you a link to my build once I get everything set up in the next couple months.

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have missed the tank update when I just replied. Those are some beautiful wrasse! You must have a good grip on how to use that camera because we all know how hard wrasse are to photograph and those came out great. Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new shots of the tank. Just pulled out the phone for these so they're not great. Lawnmower Blenny and Flame Tang are helping me clear out the algae. Starting to setup frag tank to clear out the dt some.

Red Dragon 3_17_16.jpg

Rightside frag Rack2.jpg

Rightside Frag Rack 3_17_16.jpg

Granulosa 3_17_16.jpg

Purple Milli 3_17_16.jpg

Leftside Frag Rack 3_17_16.jpg

Rightside 3_17_16.jpg

Loripes 3_17_16.jpg

FTS 3_17_16.jpg

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That tank is awesomely packed. Do you mind if I ask what you dose and the daily ML? I am dosing around 25ML and its close to empty. Not sure why its using so much.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have a set amount per day, I just experimented with my dosing pump until I got the levels I wanted. I use 2L of Alk and Ca @ every week. I usually bump it up a little when I add more livestock. I hope to have my frag tank setup soon to remove all of the frags I have in my DT.
If you have coralline algae growing, that will use up allot of Alk and Ca.
Thx for the compliment!

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of Alk/Ca! That's at least 8 times what I do...

Its motivating to see what you've done with the rockwork too. I am actually taking all my rock out this weekend to capture my fish, but plan on setting it up with a couple of shelves like you have. Create some better elevations and nice dark areas for NPS.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a lot of hungry corals:) It's just what works for my tank. I don't run full strength either, I use a 50/50 mix from my dossers. At full strength is was too easy for levels to climb or dive too quickly. It's a little different but it's worked for me over the last 10 years.
My fairy wrasses love the over hangs, I put a couple of 4" 1.5" pvc tubes in there as well for sleeping areas. My Regal stays under the center over hang most of the time, still a little shy.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good man!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 76.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back