My Cardinal fish stopped schooling

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else, this seems to be all normal behavior and id also agree that the one in the picture looks like its holding eggs. It sounds like you are doing a great job with your tank. Fish longevity is a good indication of husbandry practices. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else, this seems to be all normal behavior and id also agree that the one in the picture looks like its holding eggs. It sounds like you are doing a great job with your tank. Fish longevity is a good indication of husbandry practices. Keep up the great work.
Thank you

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be honest here and admit that I cannot take credit for their long lives. I’ve only owned them for 4 months : ) my tank is 5 months old. These fish went in with my 1st livestock load a week after I put in the cleanup crew.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a fun thread : ) I thought I’d do a lil update : )

All five of my Cardinal Fish came to feed today and... all of my fish have been hanging out in an “abnormal” place in my tank. ...kind of close to where the one that wasn’t eating was hiding.

Are they eating babies I can’t see? Would they be too small to see?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The babies are visible enough to see and they're not microscopic just really tiny versions of the adults, that being said your other fish will eat the babies or the babies may get taken by your filtration. The male won't eat while he has the babies not sure if that was mentioned or not so make sure after the babies are gone to feed him good

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The babies are visible enough to see and they're not microscopic just really tiny versions of the adults, that being said your other fish will eat the babies or the babies may get taken by your filtration. The male won't eat while he has the babies not sure if that was mentioned or not so make sure after the babies are gone to feed him good
I hadn’t thought about ensuring he was specifically well fed tonight. He did come out to eat. What I did notice in the behavior of the other fish was kind of cool... they left him alone... to eat. He was moving kinna slow compared to his well fed rivals right? I think he had enough. If I see him out tonight, I’ll try and get him some direct food

Thanks!

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish longevity is definitely a top priority for me! I want every single one of my fish to live out their full natural lifespans! :) With regards to PJ Cardinals, I’m surprised how they can live for over a decade. Pleasantly surprised.
Are you still researching that tank just start the dang thing. The most progress is learned through mistakes. But yes a lot of research up front helps but sometimes too much research can hurt the tank. The best thing to do is start the tank.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still researching that tank just start the dang thing. The most progress is learned through mistakes. But yes a lot of research up front helps but sometimes too much research can hurt the tank. The best thing to do is start the tank.
^this!!!

Lol... read my signature line

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, okay... I just saw one... get eaten ..nature at its finest! Lord knows there have been a few times when I wanted to eat my young! Lol

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting because pyjama cardinals don't hold their young for as long as bangaii's, so they are less developed when they pop out making them harder to raise. I think they hold them for about a week but if it's the first couple of batches the male has mouth brooded, they are sometimes eaten before that period.
I've bred plenty of bangaii's but never really thought about these. They would make a fun project though.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back