My christmas Wrasse

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is a sad day today, but not completely sad.

I noticed my Christmas wrasse (Halichoeres ornatissumus) was found laying sideways on top of the sand this am. When I went to fish it out, it swam away but looks really rough.

Background. I have had this wrasse over 5 years and it is well over 5 inches and has been wonderful. Very beautiful and fun to watch. It has had a deformity of its mouth since I got it. Growing worse as it aged. I am actually surprised it made it 5 years with the deformity, but it has been active until the last few days.

I have a feeling I will be seeing its last swim soon. Who knows, maybe it will make it another year. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is a sad day today, but not completely sad.

I noticed my Christmas wrasse (Halichoeres ornatissumus) was found laying sideways on top of the sand this am. When I went to fish it out, it swam away but looks really rough.

Background. I have had this wrasse over 5 years and it is well over 5 inches and has been wonderful. Very beautiful and fun to watch. It has had a deformity of its mouth since I got it. Growing worse as it aged. I am actually surprised it made it 5 years with the deformity, but it has been active until the last few days.

I have a feeling I will be seeing its last swim soon. Who knows, maybe it will make it another year. :)
That really is impressive! You have done great to keep a fish with a mouth deformity alive that long. Hopefully he will hang in there for you!

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His deformity has made him unable to eat his normal diet of flatworms which is sad for him and my system, but he has done great on frozen and fresh foods.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are really picking on her, so I think she will not last long. Here is some pics of that deformity. Poor baby. I wish I had another tank for her, but my others have breeding clowns and that would not be good.
wrasse mouth.jpg
wrasse mouth 3.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, great job on keeping him going this long! I'm sorry he's having trouble :/

It might be too little to late, but my rhomboid was having trouble eating due to swelling- it couldn't eat blackworms either. But, I did have luck with nutrimar ova, they are tiny and kind of soft so easy to eat. If you happen to have some, it might be worth a try.

Hope he pulls through!

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By some miracle, I saw her swimming today after two days of no show. She went and hid earlier than her usual bedtime, but hey, what a trooper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back