My clams foot came off

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Maxima for a couple if years now and it's been doing great. I noticed a funky white rock behind it(which I never added to tank). Turns out it is his foot. It's all hardened like a rock, and not attached. I removed it and my clam still looks good, but is unstable and doesn't close properly at night now. Will it survive? Has anyone ever seen this?

OP
OP
Shadowspop

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just stood the clam back up and put the foot back under it to prop it up. It was just leaning against my rock.
OI000358.JPG

OI000369.JPG

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam's don't really have a "foot" per se. They hang on with Byssal threads. Basically look like little bits of fishing line comming from the bottom of the clam and going to whatever structure it is hanging on to.
as long as he's open and happy and you didn't rip him off of a rock, i wouldn't worry too much. they can let go and reattach, and even "walk" to a different location.

https://www2.clarku.edu/departments/biology/biol201/2002/LBrentner/byssal_threads.htm

OP
OP
Shadowspop

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam's don't really have a "foot" per se. They hang on with Byssal threads. Basically look like little bits of fishing line comming from the bottom of the clam and going to whatever structure it is hanging on to.
as long as he's open and happy and you didn't rip him off of a rock, i wouldn't worry too much. they can let go and reattach, and even "walk" to a different location.

https://www2.clarku.edu/departments/biology/biol201/2002/LBrentner/byssal_threads.htm
Any idea what that white stone is? For 2 years I've seen that thing under my clam and always thought it was the muscle or foot securing it to the rock. When I first bought the clam, I put it on the rock to make a space for it, and in a matter of seconds, it had already taken hold and would move. For 2 years, it's changed direction and angle, but never moved off that spot.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back