My Clarity Plus Fish only Tank

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 40 year old tank, still going. Omg, the changes to filtration, plumbing equipment over the years. Sump and filter box were done by me years ago cutting and gluing acrylic sheets. Also electrical panel, all done by me long ago. Heres the equipment
Wet dry trickle filter with bio balls
Euroreef protein skimmer
Ecotech dc pump
Reef octopus dc pump attached to a large computer battery in case of power outage
Penguin chiller and titanium heater attached to a Ranco controller
Korallin sulphur denitrator
Media reactor filled with aragonite
Ozone generator Ozotech
Ph controller with dosing pump for kalkwasser
Orp controller for the ozone
Conductivity controller to let me know if the automatic top off water system is malfunctioning.
Myspool water detector to send texts to my phone in the event of a leak.

The tank is in 2nd floor living room. When we renovated, we added several 2 x 12s to that room for the weight. There is plumbing between 2nd floor and the basement. Drain goes to house plumbing and water vat in basement is used for mixing fresh saltwater and is pumped to 2nd floor with an old Little Giant pump. There are numerous float switches that control water levels in sump and turn things off if water levels go high from a blockage.
It's not perfect but this all started long ago and at the time it was state of the art lol.

20230924_062046.jpg 20230924_062042.jpg 20230924_062031.jpg 20230924_062027.jpg 20230924_062020.jpg 20230924_062002.jpg

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need to get some more fish now, I was back and forth to Florida during the pandemic and my children didn't do alot to care for this, lost alot of fish

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is some wild diy board you have going on there, very impressive indeed! :) :star-struck:

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CasperOe,
Thanks, I am an electrical technician so it's not that big of a deal. Has all kinds of relays inside that work with the float switches

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CasperOe,
Thanks, I am an electrical technician so it's not that big of a deal. Has all kinds of relays inside that work with the float switches
Ah ;) Nah for you it's bread and butter really then! Looks great though, well done!

What fish are going in?

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question,
Don't have anything in mind yet. I guess whatever looks healthy when I go to the store. I just went through the quarantine tank. Protein skimmer had a broken impeller and it had sat empty for a long while. Im feeding a few frozen cubes every few days to make sure it's active biologically before I bring any fish home. I always quarantine for 3 weeks with copper

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back