my clown is doing something weird

Leemus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just got done cycling my tank about a week ago and I got clowns and today I noticed that my clown looks like it’s breathing heavy. has its mouth open and it’s opening and closing it a little bit. I just wanted to know if if this is clowns being clowns or should I be worried? my levels are ammonia-0 nitite 0.50 nitate- 15

Attachments

• IMG_1884.mov
    6.3 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post the video using a YouTube link and also extend to 20-30 seconds please?

@vetteguy53081

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell, but clowns are not great swimmers. It seems to be struggling, but I can't tell if it's because there is something wrong or it has no place to get away from the flow. It looks tired like we would if we spent all day running. Do you have a place for it to rest away from the flow?

OP
OP
L

Leemus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell, but clowns are not great swimmers. It seems to be struggling, but I can't tell if it's because there is something wrong or it has no place to get away from the flow. It looks tired like we would if we spent all day running. Do you have a place for it to rest away from the flow?
I do I have rocks in the middle of my tank and in the middle of it there’s no flow. Do you think I might have too much flow?

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has a place to get out of the flow and chooses not to, your flow is probably fine.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to check your Salinity? If it's one of the ones that you fill with water and a plastic arm floats to give you the value it could be off by a significant amount. A single air bubble can make a big difference. If it is, take a water sample to your lfs and have them run a test on it.

OP
OP
L

Leemus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to check your Salinity? If it's one of the ones that you fill with water and a plastic arm floats to give you the value it could be off by a significant amount. A single air bubble can make a big difference. If it is, take a water sample to your lfs and have them run a test on it.
im using a refractometer

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, your parameters are not gonna stress it that much (if at all). Salinity is good. I mean, there are a lot of other things it can be, but it may be as simple new environment syndrome. That being said, I'm still (re)learning this gig. I REALLY wish I could fast forward a few years.....Wait. No. I'm 60. Bad idea.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something else going on here. Wait for some of the more knowledgeable medics to weigh in. The jaw shouldn't be locked open like that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something else going on here. Wait for some of the more knowledgeable medics to weigh in. The jaw shouldn't be locked open like that.
I agree, this is NOT a water quality issue. The mouth looks damaged to me. The video just isn’t clear enough to say for sure.

Is the fish able to eat? I’m guessing not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I hope this works

Looking on a large screen, the mouth open may be due to excess mucus and the wobbly swimming behavior a sign of brook but unconfirmed. Often you can offer temporary relief with a freshwater dip but it will cause stress which the fish is already enduring

OP
OP
L

Leemus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, this is NOT a water quality issue. The mouth looks damaged to me. The video just isn’t clear enough to say for sure.

Is the fish able to eat? I’m guessing not.
i do see it eat just not like the other clown.

s0sALtY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get a breeder net box turn the flow down a little and jst keep an eye on him for a few days. could b getting picked on by the other clown.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back