My Clownfish Are Broken

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these two clownfish, a lightening and a monster Goldflake Maroon, in a reef with a gigantea carpet and a BTA for a long while. I’m an experienced Reefer and have had clowns that ignored Anemone for many many months, but this is a sexually mature female and it’s never taken this long. I’ve even tried the seemingly ridiculous task of taping a photo on the tank. I’ve tried illuminating the BTA at night in otherwise darkness. I’m considering duct taping her to the Anemone, but that seems extreme [emoji6]
5d7fd8b660314c219b28325b5419acb5.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try introducing a much smaller clown and that may incate the hosting instinct.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a little story from my friend tank.
He saw a huge anemone hosting a clownfish so he bought both of them for his tank, the anemone doing great in his tank BUT the clownfish never go near his OLD Anemone buddy for many months until my friend got ticked and sold the clownfish, he got another pair a of clown fish and the new pair just dive in the anemone almost instantly as soon as they in his tank. So clownfish is a clownfish and they do silly thing that you never know or seen before!

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, glad it worked out for you! Im trying to get a pair of clowns and an anemone to host right now.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you should worry for your BTA, the general rule the Anemone needed 3 times bigger than the clownfish.
If your clownfish too excite with the BTA it might stress the BTA out or kill it outright.

Ah well... too late now. The odds on finding a BTA three times the size of that clown is nill. In all my time keeping these animals, I’ve never had that issue.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg no wonder it didn't host the BTA for so long, that thing is tiny compared to the clown. Kind of hilarious... clown in a clown car type of deal.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg no wonder it didn't host the BTA for so long, that thing is tiny compared to the clown. Kind of hilarious... clown in a clown car type of deal.

LOL well said! She’s just a big boned girl. She’s a monster Maroon for sure. I’ve kept an eye out for a huge Anemone, but they’re hard to find in her size for any kinda reasonable price.

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Live Aquarian has a deal in the divers den section . I have seen some good sized ones on there in the WYSIWYG anywhere from 40-60 bucks believe it or not just look out for the sales

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Live Aquarian has a deal in the divers den section . I have seen some good sized ones on there in the WYSIWYG anywhere from 40-60 bucks believe it or not just look out for the sales

I’ve actually kept an eye out. She’s a solid 5-6in and I’ve not seen a correspondingly large enough BTA at any price point ☹️

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer where are you located whats the local LFS market like

There’s only one LSF called Reef Life Aquariums. The owner is keeping an eye out for me and I keep an eye out online. The BTA in that video is considered a “medium”. If it’s a medium than the one I require a XXXXL.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s only one LSF called Reef Life Aquariums. The owner is keeping an eye out for me and I keep an eye out online. The BTA in that video is considered a “medium”. If it’s a medium than the one I require a XXXXL.
hahaha very funny :)
In our LFS there is a hugemongus BTA when it's open fully its took 50% space on their 24x24 display tank and it's for sale...Nobody want to buy it for past year LOL and it's keep making babies BTA :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back