My clownfish are compromised because I screwed up!

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started running a 15g AIO and am not off to a good start! I hope my clowns survive!

I ran my aquarium for a week with Caribsea live sand, dry "Life Rock" and added some ceramic media blocks to the back part. I assumed I didn't need to dose bottled bacteria because the live sand already had live bacteria in it. Spoiler: Wrong answer

Brought a water sample to the LFS and all the parameters looked fine. I bought two false perculas and added them to the tank. They were completely fine for a little while.

I started getting a little suspicious when I didn't see any nitrates or nitrites in the water for a week. Also started noticing the fish not looking so good. Rapid breathing, hanging out close to the sand bed and not eating. Also have some kind of extended poop strings which I read was due to stress.

I tested the ammonia and got a 0.5ppm reading. Found the problem. I bought some Prime and Dr Tim's and started dosing both daily. I added more ceramic media blocks and added a small pump near the ceramic to increase water flow over them.

It's been about 4 days now. I'm starting to see ammonia drop down to 0.25ppm and am finally starting to see nitrites (0.5ppm) and nitrates (10ppm). I guess now it's a race between the microbiome and how much longer the clowns can survive.

Personally I don't think they're going to make it and I'll have to go buy another pair after they kick the bucket and the aquarium is done cycling, but part of me is hopeful.

Has anyone else seen clownfish recover from new tank syndrome?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would put a lot of effort into saving the fish you have and then take a big step back and educate yourself on proper fish keeping before proceeding forward. Pretty basic stuff you missed.

I would do a 100% water change, Dump the entire bottle of bacteria into the tank and then dose prime daily. They should be fine. Turn the lights off.

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would put a lot of effort into saving the fish you have and then take a big step back and educate yourself on proper fish keeping before proceeding forward. Pretty basic stuff you missed.

I would do a 100% water change, Dump the entire bottle of bacteria into the tank and then dose prime daily. They should be fine. Turn the lights off.
No argument here. I've been online looking this stuff up constantly for the last four days. I guess the initial sticker shock of the aquarium made me cheap out on the bottled bacteria initially and trust the Live Sand to handle it, but only have myself to blame. Lesson learned. Especially since the Prime costs as much as the Dr. Tim's anyway.

Second lesson learned: Aquarium Psychology is also a thing.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and the reassurance.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'd call it "new tank syndrome".. Tank was being cycled with the clowns. Those clowns could live up to 15 years. Always sad to hear when these things happen.

Hope they don't "kick the bucket" as you said but if they do I agree with previous post. Mistakes happen.. but do lots more research before moving ahead and buying more live creatures. You've found a great resource to start asking questions but lots of information on the forum and online.

Clowns are hardy. There is a chance they make it if you mitigated quick enough. Really hope you've done that water change. Must have reliable test kits also at home.

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'd call it "new tank syndrome".. Tank was being cycled with the clowns. Those clowns could live up to 15 years. Always sad to hear when these things happen.

Hope they don't "kick the bucket" as you said but if they do I agree with previous post. Mistakes happen.. but do lots more research before moving ahead and buying more live creatures. You've found a great resource to start asking questions but lots of information on the forum and online.

Clowns are hardy. There is a chance they make it if you mitigated quick enough. Really hope you've done that water change. Must have reliable test kits also at home.
I have to say, y'all are nice people. I was half expecting to get chewed out for this. Glad I tried here instead of Reddit!

I moved my ATO pump from my RO container to a big container of new saltwater and I've been scooping and pouring about 250mL of aquarium water into the sink every time I walk by it. Been doing that for four days as well. The other commenter suggested a 100% change, so I think I'l try that next.

As for testing, I started out with the quick dip test strips, but I switched to the API Saltwater Master Test Kit when I got suspicious.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, y'all are nice people. I was half expecting to get chewed out for this. Glad I tried here instead of Reddit!

I moved my ATO pump from my RO container to a big container of new saltwater and I've been scooping and pouring about 250mL of aquarium water into the sink every time I walk by it. Been doing that for four days as well. The other commenter suggested a 100% change, so I think I'l try that next.

As for testing, I started out with the quick dip test strips, but I switched to the API Saltwater Master Test Kit when I got suspicious.
It's a community here. You came looking for help and admitted a mistake. Help first, then educate, then you can help the next person one day.

Now for the tank, it sounds like you've got a strategy to getting it back on track. Keep us posted and good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back