My clownfish jumped last night

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was doing some maintenance on the tank and didn't get the cover completely back on the tank. My clownfish managed to jump through on of the holes. Found him dried up on the floor this morning. Really disheartening. I'm very upset over this right now. I had him since 2004. Please cover your tanks people! I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. This new setup has been a struggle since day one. Really thinking about draining it.:(

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear this. But that the clown manage to find its way through a hole because the cover wasn't placed on correctly is more unfortunate luck than anything else.

Please expand as to why this "new setup has been a struggle since day one". Perhaps we can help you so that moving forward, things will improve your experience.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really upset at myself right now. The only reason he's gone is my negligence. If I would have put the small strip of plastic to cover that hole, he'd still be swimming in my tank:(

I guess the best thing to do right now is to get an easier to use cover. Then, a pair of clowns as I never have been able to pair that one up with another clown. I always wanted to see a pair of clowns in my system.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really upset at myself right now. The only reason he's gone is my negligence. If I would have put the small strip of plastic to cover that hole, he'd still be swimming in my tank:(

I guess the best thing to do right now is to get an easier to use cover. Then, a pair of clowns as I never have been able to pair that one up with another clown. I always wanted to see a pair of clowns in my system.

Yeah... but that doesn't answer my question...

What else has been going on that your tank has been a "struggle since day one"?

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear this. But that the clown manage to find its way through a hole because the cover wasn't placed on correctly is more unfortunate luck than anything else.

Please expand as to why this "new setup has been a struggle since day one". Perhaps we can help you so that moving forward, things will improve your experience.

I feel responsible for this, completely my fault. This pretty much ruined my day right when I got up.

I'm facing random rtn on sps frags. They'll look healthy one day and gone the next. I did change my flow in the past 2 weeks. Went from 4 tunze 6015s in a 40 gallon breeder to one Ice cap 3k gyre set at 40% constant speed. I also have an icp test kit(ATI) on the way so I can figure out if it's water chemistry or something else. I'm hoping this is just a string of bad luck and it turns around soon.

Edit: it was equipment failures and fish diseases early on. Now coral health is the main issue.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some very bad luck. They usually aren't jumpers.

Clowns are jumpers. Sometimes solo and especially if there is another clown in the tank. I've gotten lucky on my stock biocube that when mine jumped, he landed in the back chamber. Later I was relaxing looking at the tank and I saw something move past the grate, and there he was... Since then after, performing maintenance, I now count the fish be when I close the lid.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is something was going on to make him jump out. What stresses him out. A new fish picking on him or sick??

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel responsible for this, completely my fault. This pretty much ruined my day right when I got up.

I'm facing random rtn on sps frags. They'll look healthy one day and gone the next. I did change my flow in the past 2 weeks. Went from 4 tunze 6015s in a 40 gallon breeder to one Ice cap 3k gyre set at 40% constant speed. I also have an icp test kit(ATI) on the way so I can figure out if it's water chemistry or something else. I'm hoping this is just a string of bad luck and it turns around soon.

Okay!

Let's start with water chemistry...

Please post your latest readings and not just "within normal ranges" as what's normal depends on what is in the tank.

Also, what lighting?

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is your tank? What are your water parameters?

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I say that is that exactly happened to me. A day following my clown fish jump my other clown stopped eating and come down with what looked like brook. Died a couple days later.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are jumpers. Sometimes solo and especially if there is another clown in the tank. I've gotten lucky on my stock biocube that when mine jumped, he landed in the back chamber. Later I was relaxing looking at the tank and I saw something move past the grate, and there he was... Since then after, performing maintenance, I now count the fish be when I close the lid.

Well maybe I've just been very lucky. :) I have lost a firefish but my clowns never seemed jumpy.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some very bad luck. They usually aren't jumpers.

He would attack snails on the glass that wondered near his sleeping corner. He would try to knock them down with his tail or mouth. I've seen him flop out of the water doing that but never this high. But yeah, they usually don't jump.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay!

Let's start with water chemistry...

Please post your latest readings and not just "within normal ranges" as what's normal depends on what is in the tank.

Also, what lighting?

Alk 8.6 dkh
No3 2.5ppm
Phosphorus 27ppb
Ca 440
Ph 7.8 in am 8.2 by noon.
Mag 1230

This will be my first icp test that I've done. So I'm really looking forward to see how that compares to my hobbyist kits.

I have 2 Kessil 380 tuna blues set at 40% intensity and 50% color supplemented with a 2 bulb t5 retrofit kit. One coral plus and a blue plus bulb. The t5s are on for 11 hrs and kessils are on for 9 hours with no ramp.

I have 14 or so sps frags left. Some do good, some don't. Once I move a frag into the rock work, it seems to take a nose dive. I'm kinda thinking it could be light related. I have a Duncan and hammer coral as well and both are doing fantastic.

Edit: tank is 9 months old and started with rock and sand from marcorocks. I cycled it for 2 and half months before adding any fish or coral.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. I have only been in the hobby for a year and have lost quite a lot of fish due to disease in quarantine. But after I lost my Purple tang in January I have been in a slump. Had him for 6 months and he was my favorite and I killed him due to my own stupidity. I feel the same way when I lose fish, maybe I should just break down the tank. So lately I been focusing on my corals instead and just don't enjoy the fish as much.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can't have a tank without clownfish in it. That's for sure. I'm going to get a hold of booyah from booyah's clowns and pick up a pair, hopefully next weekend. They're only 10 minutes away from me so I should be able to pick them out in person.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back