You can see him in the pic just under the yellow tang

IMG_20180228_110501.jpg

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are jumpers. Sometimes solo and especially if there is another clown in the tank. I've gotten lucky on my stock biocube that when mine jumped, he landed in the back chamber. Later I was relaxing looking at the tank and I saw something move past the grate, and there he was... Since then after, performing maintenance, I now count the fish be when I close the lid.
I tend to leave my biocube slightly open about two inches to let circulated fan air keep temp regulated . Didn't know clowns where jumper

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you lost , but thank you for sharing this thread considering your circumstances. I just learned some more about clowns from your situation. Don't give up on the tank.

lcatoni1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks I've gone through that in the past and learned my lesson. I lost 1 pintail wrasse and a blue dot jawfish. I now have a cover I made and look great on the tank. But even then I almost lost my linnardi wrasse 2 weeks ago. I have a small hole for my auto feeder and he jumped through the hole and was laying on the net when I got home. My heart sunk as you can imagine $750 down the drain. I grabbed him all mad and I noticed he opened his mouth. I put him in the tank and started to move him in my tank back and forth after a minute or so he started to move in my hand till I let him go. Finally after 2 days he came out to eat I thought he was dead.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree some fish tend to jump more than others but any of them can get startled and the end result is the same.

Glad that worked out with your Wrasse!

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you lost , but thank you for sharing this thread considering your circumstances. I just learned some more about clowns from your situation. Don't give up on the tank.

After a coupe days of consideration, there is no way I can give up now. Been doing this for too long. Just sucks not having the clownfish around anymore. You kind of fall into a routine when you have a fish for that long. I still look at his empty corner he used to sleep in.

That said. I am going to pick up a pair of clowns on Friday from Booyahs Clowns. Really looking forward to meeting Mitch and see what he has available. Looking at the Blackhawk onyx clowns. Not sure yet though. I setup the qt last night. I'll post a pic of the little guys when I get them:)

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my blue spot jawfish this way. :( Yes I have a cover. A glass one, easy to use. He had to have jumped when I turned my back to get food. Our new puppy found him the next day. Now I am very careful to keep my eye on all the fish while I feed. There are two very young clowns in that tank now. Thanks for the warning.

Sorry for the loss of your little friend. :( Lots of luck moving forward with a new pair. :p

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post am update. Got my new pair of clowns yesterday. Really happy with them so far. Went to Booyah's Clowns and picked out a pair from Mitch. Really cool setup Mitch has going on and I highly recommend him for clown fish. Here's the best picks I could muster up so far...
20180427_150036.jpg
20180427_150042.jpg
20180428_091644.jpg
20180428_091649.jpg
20180428_091805.jpg

Edit:
One is an Addisons quest onyx and the other is a Picasso. Mitch's Blackhawk Picassos are simply stunning! A little pricy for what I had to spend. Really makes me want to setup another tank just for a pair of those or a pair of his buckshot clowns as those are also very nice! It wa soooo cool to his all his mated pairs. Really appreciate all the knowledge he shared while I was at his house as well!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very nice. They look really small. Which means you get to watch them grow. ;Joyful. Might be the woman in me but I love getting babies. ;Shamefullyembarrased .Great choices!

Shelley

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is about an inch. Just a bit below that maybe. The other is about 3/4 of an inch. About the same size as the one I lost was when I first got her. Really looking forward to getting them through qt and in my display:)

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in the display that will eat them I hope? I have a juvenile pair in my large tank right now also. Both about 1.5 inches. Good thing my over flow is covered or they would go down it. Forgot how the juveniles especially like to hang out at the top of the tank. You will enjoy watching when one matures into a female later on. The excitement is wonderful. ;Cold

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in the display that will eat them I hope? I have a juvenile pair in my large tank right now also. Both about 1.5 inches. Good thing my over flow is covered or they would go down it. Forgot how the juveniles especially like to hang out at the top of the tank. You will enjoy watching when one matures into a female later on. The excitement is wonderful. ;Cold

Thanks for the reminder! It's been a long time since I've had such small clowns. Nothing in there that will eat them. I am nervous about the 2 chromis I have in there though. I'm afraid they'll bully them to an extent. I may try to pull the chromis out and put those into the qt when it's time. Really open to suggestions on this.

The other concern is the amoun of flow I have in my dt. It is sps dominanate and therefore has lots of flow.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about some type of hang in the tank container. One of those that let them get used to seeing each other but not touch? After quarantine of course. ;)

Shelley

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish glad to see your staying in the game. Considering your last clown mostly likely ran the tank , I would monitor the feeding behavior of the chromis. If in doubt move them out( or at least to qt)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back