My clownfish laid eggs??

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey team I have a 120 gallon Reef tank with soft corals, 2 clowns, foxface, hippo blue tang, Midas blenny, chromis and 4 peppermint shrimp. Oh and a snail.

The clownfish pair are 5-6 years old in my tank (purchased when babies, tank bred). I just noticed the clown wouldn’t let any of the fish eat the Nori off the clip. And then I had a look at a rock and there are eggs on it?! The small male clown keeps rubbing them. They look like air bubbles but they don’t move when rubbed on.
What do I do? I assume they’ll just die or hatch and get eaten?

i do have an empty quarantine tank which just finished cycling and it’s been sitting empty for a month because my new fish i bought died. But there’s cupramine in that tank so I need to go buy SeaChem cuprisorb. Can I do anything about these?

F4BFB796-1ED1-40C8-B596-57DA703294D8.jpeg 36D0283F-FECF-46F7-80EE-31B969289697.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey team I have a 120 gallon Reef tank with soft corals, 2 clowns, foxface, hippo blue tang, Midas blenny, chromis and 4 peppermint shrimp. Oh and a snail.

The clownfish pair are 5-6 years old in my tank (purchased when babies, tank bred). I just noticed the clown wouldn’t let any of the fish eat the Nori off the clip. And then I had a look at a rock and there are eggs on it?! The small male clown keeps rubbing them. They look like air bubbles but they don’t move when rubbed on.
What do I do? I assume they’ll just die or hatch and get eaten?

i do have an empty quarantine tank which just finished cycling and it’s been sitting empty for a month because my new fish i bought died. But there’s cupramine in that tank so I need to go buy SeaChem cuprisorb. Can I do anything about these?

F4BFB796-1ED1-40C8-B596-57DA703294D8.jpeg 36D0283F-FECF-46F7-80EE-31B969289697.jpeg
Pics are fuzzy to tell but having breeder pairs, my eggs are yellow/orange in color

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those are eggs, they turn silvery like that when they are about to hatch. When they are first laid they are orange/pink/yellow depending on type of clown, diet, etc. Congrats!

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lay quite regularly but trying to grow them on is hit and miss at best. It also requires a fair bit of planning so is almost guaranteed to fail if you start now!
There are a few threads on here about it with a couple of recommended books if you want to try. Get everything set up and wait for the next batch, it won't be long.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back