My Cube LED lights took a hit - what to do?

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cube tank is lit with a Rapid LED DIY kit. It was put together with the help of a friend about 6 years ago. I've never had a problem with it, until 2 days ago. When the storms went through, we took a short power hit (lights dimmed for a couple of seconds). Now the LED is not functioning fully. (Everything is on a surge control power strip, so not sure why this would have happened).

A few details about the LED. It was a standard DIY kit from Rapid LED. It has 3 drivers. One driver controls the Blues, a 2nd driver controls the whites and a few blues. The 3rd driver controls a Red, Green, and a few ultraviolet LEDs. The LED's driven by the 2nd and 3rd drivers appear to be functioning just fine. Its the blue LEDs driven by the 1st driver. The LEDs are on, but at a very low level - I'll guess 20% at most. (That's what I have the whites turned down to so that its not a totally yellow look). Also the last blue LED in the link is not firing at all.

Do I just toss and get a new fixture (something I had been contemplating - but having to make a quick decision on a new fixture is not very appealing to me)? Is there any easy way to confirm if its just a driver that needs replaced? Anyone have any meanwell drivers sitting around gathering dust??

Thoughts????

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy a black box led that will have one power cord , or a reefbreeders (essentially same ) . If money isnt an issue you can even go to name brand . You've got your use out of it anyways

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you put a volt meter to the blue string ?! Maybe check all the connections on the leds and make sure nothing is loose. I wouldn't toss it honestly. It can be fixed.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LEDs are on, but at a very low level - I'll guess 20% at most. (That's what I have the whites turned down to so that its not a totally yellow look). Also the last blue LED in the link is not firing at all.

Low voltage out of the driver.. Replace driver..
Swap drivers to check..

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the drivers is an ELN-60-48D and the other is an ELN-60-27D. I've got to do more looking to find out which driver the blue LED's are on. I'm guessing its the ELN-60-48D. Since they are not the same driver, can I switch them to perform a test?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue (mostly) and white channel should be the same w/ same # of diodes.
both are voltage and current adj..

Small one (27) "should" be the red,green,violet channel..

Please look and let me know.
not used to these old school drivers.. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 48D driver has the 12 blue LEDs. The 27D has the 7 white LEDs. The 3rd driver - a 0-10v dimable Nano Driver has the 8 LEDS - red, green, violet....

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the 10V dimming (D version, 10v analog) of the ELN's?

Without knowing more and the fact you have, what 3 different drivers can't recommend a swap atm.
Not sure if drivers current output is adjusted..

So really a direct replacement is called for BUT you still don't know what the amp output of the driver was set for
48 = 1.3A out as bought usually
other is 2.3A.. really high for 7 white LED stars..BUT anyways prob not enough voltage out for 12 blue diodes.

So no, see know way of swapping drivers here..

Got a 48V DC power supply laying around?

Pretty sure it's the driver though. Some AC/DC things hate brownouts more than surges..

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Yes they are dimming versions. A friend helped put this together. I know he did a bunch of tweeking and adjusting - so I have no idea about the amp output. So all in all, its getting to deep for my knowledge level - and I think its best to get a new fixture. This is not something I want to deal with. Thanks for you input!!!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back