My current DIY project x3 NEW

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a acrylic shield on there, it will do a better job and keeping the endcaps and ballests cool, at least in theory.

If you can get a hold of one, get a aqua science 22k bulb.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I was thinking Jr. (on the bulb choice and cooling) I had the fixture running for about 2 hours last night before bed, and the spot where the ballasts mount was BARELY even warm to the touch, I think that 48x24 HEAT sink does a great job for the ballast, I am a little concerned for the bulbs though.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is not quite "done" but it is hanging!

421188174_Pr7bq-L.jpg

Full tank shot, including the Sun Lifts.

421189044_LUZM9-L.jpg

421189356_Aynx8-L.jpg

From the left side.

421188428_GTiqk-L.jpg

421188724_9NNMr-L.jpg

Details.

A full tank shot from the other day, actinics only:
421187926_TFsPh-L.jpg

421185405_YAuNj-L.jpg

Trumpets!

This project was a LOT of fun, it took a LOT longer then I thought it would though, and of course it cost more too!

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fixture is dead sexy. Nice job man. Where'd you get the SS sheet at?

cbau45

I like to reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, I had an idea for helping to reduce the amount of lost light from the sides. Why don't you make a metal lip to cover up the plastic rim on the tank, it could just rest on the corners. Not only will it match the canopy but it'll help bring it all together I think. I can show you what I mean when I swing by this weekend.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fixture is dead sexy. Nice job man. Where'd you get the SS sheet at?

Thanks Roshi! It is actually aluminum, alloy 5053, highly corrosion resistant.

that is awesome. what size tank is that? looks like a 75 but I don't know

Thanks! You are close, it is a 90.

Mike, I had an idea for helping to reduce the amount of lost light from the sides. Why don't you make a metal lip to cover up the plastic rim on the tank, it could just rest on the corners. Not only will it match the canopy but it'll help bring it all together I think. I can show you what I mean when I swing by this weekend.

That is a possibility Craig, that or maybe a sheet of black acrylic.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have completed another DIY project, and I am in the midst of another one. First the completed project, this one was VERY quick, and VERY easy, I added a mesh top with the mesh I bought from JimsFlies about a YEAR ago.... :eek:

I plan on adding some fairy wrasses, and wanted to have this in place before I purchased any fish prone to jumping. Here are a couple pictures:

448891523_9iCQv-L-1.jpg

and the return line corner, yes there is a small gap here:

448892421_uuQKZ-L-1.jpg

Okay, that is it for the EASY one. I will post some pictures of my BIG one next. I am going to redo my basement sump! Here is an image of how the sump area looks now:

448896526_sCPYa-L.jpg

And here is the stand that I made for the new system:

448893224_fLoLR-L-1.jpg

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the construction, but it was pretty basic, use a compound mitre saw, and glue and screw all the joints. I did miter the corners of the 2x4's, so each shelf has the corners joined on 45's, with 3 screws and plenty of glue. I also added these to each corner:

448894397_UmzS6-L-1.jpg

Each corner joins to the vertical 2x4 with 4 screws, glue, and then the 45's that have 2 more screws and more glue!

The top will not have a shelf, the 30 gallon tank that is going to sit up there will be used for frags and will rest on the 2x4 frame I created here:

448893841_Fyknc-L-1.jpg

In front of the 30 gallon I have a 6" shelf, and then to the right of the tank, I will have a 12x18 shelf where my monster Ca reactor will sit.

The bottom shelf will hold a 50 breeder, my as yet to be determined new skimmer, my Kalk reactor, and some live rock with Chaeto algae. I left enough room under the bottom shelf to place my 2 rubbermaid trash cans under there as well, but I may keep the existing "can stand" as it makes water changes very easy.

Here are the 2 new sumps, the 30 used to be my sump under the 90 that I have now, and the 50 breeder I bought used from a fellow reefer. (Thanks Chris.)
448895228_GrSJG-L-1.jpg

I am not in a real big hurry to get this set up, but it does give me something to work on over the winter months. The 30 and 50 are going to be drilled, and baffles replaced, so that the flow will start from the 30 on the right, fall to the 50 and enter on the left, then be returned to the tank from the right. I am going to downsize my return pump, to save some wattage, and by raising the sump off the floor I should be able to keep about the same GPH.

Oh, both tanks will be sitting on 1/2" foam as well, just in case those 2x4's aren't as straight as they look.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I cleaned up my mess in the basement, and I UNBURIED the treadmill! :D

I also added some feet to the bottom of the stand, actually 8, 2 per leg, and they are the twist foot type that will allow me to level the stand no matter how wopped the basement floor is. I will definitely have to use some foam though, as there are gaps between both tanks, and the shelves they are sitting on. :mad:

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, very nice job on the lights. cant wait for the next project :)

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Very Nice! You know what would go good with that light?
A matching stand LOL!

Oh and Junior is right the Aqua Science Bulbs are my favorite especially the 22k!

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like everything about your setup. I even like that sump setup. I just don't have a room I could set one up like that in even in the new house. That is a sweet tank and the light system looks awesome.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats exactly what i said...lets see a aluminum facia for the thing!

I have something in the works for that too... but in a 48x24 footprint, just in case.... ;)

I like everything about your setup. I even like that sump setup. I just don't have a room I could set one up like that in even in the new house. That is a sweet tank and the light system looks awesome.

Thank you.

Question, how did you power the fans?

I used the IceCap wall wart... I wanted it to be in the canopy too, but it was just to big. The fans come on and off with the actinics. (They are on the same timer.)

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am horrible when it comes to Electrical. I know the fans I have are AC not DC so I was thinking of getting acheap Computer Power Supply to run them.

Could you show pictures of the way you hooked everything up with an explanation PLEASE? :tongue:

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, time for the next installment of my DIY ventures! I built a new sump! Here are some before, during and after pics:

Before:
473999063_da5uA-L-1.jpg

New system starting to take shape:
473998195_HUXbT-L-1.jpg

My new return pump, a Velocity T4 from FateX8:
474000854_Szdzz-L-1.jpg

Hey, where'd my stuff go?
474004785_RJ3gy-L-1.jpg

End of day one:
474003921_K6vvC-L-1.jpg

At this point I had removed my old MR2 skimmer, the old return pump went onto the MR2 and I took apart the 40HDx that I was using and cleaned it up. I had no skimmer, but the water was flowing and the ATO was working, but that was it! (Heaters are in of course!)

Day 2! A local from another board came over to pick up the MR2 skimmer that I sold him, with the Blueline 55 pump. And then I was able to get the NEW skimmer and Ca reactor installed... Sounds like a short easy hook up right. Well.... not quite.

I placed my UV in the place where the Ca reactor was supposed to go:
475058253_pK3WN-L.jpg

Yes, that is BETWEEN the floor joists. My Ca reactor is just over 24" tall, and holds 50 POUNDS of media. The reactor was supposed to set next to the 30 gallon tank, with the top between the joists, but that thing is just to BIG and HEAVY to put that high off the ground, so it ended up on the floor. Here:

474379523_tXAUB-L.jpg

Check this out:
474377991_fDcVT-L.jpg

You can see my NEW skimmer in there! I picked up a "used" MSX 2S skimmer from another local. This thing ROCKS! 2 Sicce 2500 pumps, (pinwheels) and a 13" base Cone skimmer. I made an eggcrate shelf for now, but I am going to replace that with some of Jr's scrap acrylic as soon as I get some free time to get down to his place!

Here are some better skimmer pics:
474381261_Bwwxd-L.jpg

475058520_FHrDW-L.jpg

Tiny Bubbles!
475058348_49NRi-L.jpg

As it sits:
474384232_nPEJq-L.jpg

I still need to work out the Salt bucket that is on the stand, I wanted it to be below the stand next to the fresh bucket, but the Ca Reactor is now in the way. I am sure I will come up with something. ;)

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does! The skimmer actually pulled about an INCH of tea colored skimmate in the first hour it was on. I emptied the cup before I went to bed, just because I didn't want a mess.

I have to go check it again today, this morning there was about another inch.

TM01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set up! Having everything located in one spot with access to everything sure is nice.

Back