My Dinos Just Disappeared?

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a massive outbreak of SCA, which I confirmed on the "Are you tired of battling" thread a few weeks ago. Before confirmation I had decided to add a refugium to my tank. I also adjusted lighting schedule in my display based on advice in dino sticky threads as well. Threw in a ball of chaeto, jar of pods, and dosed ~20-30 mL of phyto every day for about two weeks. Chaeto decided to start dying and nuked my tanked with nitrates and phosphates, and now my sand is completely clean of everything (had some cyano as well). Did I just get really lucky?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The addition of nutrients I’m sure had a positive impact on your Dino problem. I’d say attention to husbandry and consistency helped.

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The addition of nutrients I’m sure had a positive impact on your Dino problem. I’d say attention to husbandry and consistency helped.
It just seems unbelievably fortunate I didn't have to deal with this prolonged battle with UV, dosing nutrients, etc.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems unbelievably fortunate I didn't have to deal with this prolonged battle with UV, dosing nutrients, etc.
Nutrients bottoming out is most likely why Dino’s reared their pesky little heads. Monitor levels and maintain. Most like, including myself, for NO3 between 5-15ppm and P04 between .05-.1ppm. That keeps Dino’s at bay.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a massive outbreak of SCA, which I confirmed on the "Are you tired of battling" thread a few weeks ago. Before confirmation I had decided to add a refugium to my tank. I also adjusted lighting schedule in my display based on advice in dino sticky threads as well. Threw in a ball of chaeto, jar of pods, and dosed ~20-30 mL of phyto every day for about two weeks. Chaeto decided to start dying and nuked my tanked with nitrates and phosphates, and now my sand is completely clean of everything (had some cyano as well). Did I just get really lucky?
Perfect.
Did the same.
Same results.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I speculate the high nutrients triggered some other type of algae or bacteria in the sand to outcompete the dinos. Restricting the dino light source weakens them too and pods helped also. This is just my guess though.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you put the bacteria (bottle, live rock) and dose the nitrates - dinos will disappear, it's just question of time.

I stoped using UV, it doesn't correct the imbalance and the dinos will be back.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When we see zero readings, automatically we assume this is the cause but by the time you see zero numbers, its because the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more.
Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and tank is already doomed.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back