My DIY auto water changer without apex

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal for building a diy auto water changer was to help keep my tank alive while on a long vacation with my reefkeeper controller and not upgrading to an apex. Info on this was fairly tough to find so I wanted to share in case anyone else was thinking of doing something like this.
I found a couple of extra power bars online for my RKL and bought a Tunze 3155 ato and a brs 50 ml per minute dosing pump. I added the dosing pump to outlet 4, my Tunze 3155 ato in outlet 2 with the pump placed in clean saltwater and another ato in outlet 3 with the pump in RO water. I set channel 2 and 4 to turn on for a couple of hours while channel 3 turns off for the exact same time. The dosing pump removes water from the tank and drains to an empty bucket. Clean saltwater is added back in to the tank by the Tunze at a gradual pace. My ato in fresh water turns off to make sure my salinity stays accurate. The dosing pump is an easy way to gradually pump water out while not back siphoning when off. I think I might eventually add a salinity probe for some redundancy and possibly a float switch in the clean saltwater to ensure the system turns off if my saltwater runs too low.

FYI, I have a small tank so 2 and a half hours works for me. If I had a bigger tank I think I would increase how many days a weak I would have this operate. Currently I run this at night because the pump is fairly loud and I want to test this before I leave for a vacation.

OP
OP
D

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pics but they are pretty boring. I am only using 5 gallon buckets at the moment because I only have a 24 gallon nano. I know this seems like a lot of gear for such a small water change but I am going to get larger containers later and eventually I will upgrade my tank and I would like a system that I can grow with. For the tubing going in to the back of the tank, I used an elbow connector to help it stay in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 66

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back