My DIY Tumbling Algae Reactor

Whoookid201

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2021
Messages
52
Reaction score
68
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
Parts List:
  • Marine Sources KMR Fluidized Filter System - 110
  • 12V Led Plant Grow Light Full Spectrum Phyto Lamp- 3M Length - 4 Red, 1 Blue.
  • 12V Power Supply
  • 8" Concrete Form Tube
  • Mylar Film
Cost me around $130 not counting the pump, which I had laying around, and I also recieved some cashback on the reactor.

I plan on removing the LED strip from the reactor and attaching a longer strip to the inside of tube to make a light sheath, which should provide better coveage and make harvesting/cleanup easier.

I used carboad instead of a PVC tube due to limited cabinet space and the size of the reactor. I had to remove a section from the perimeter then tape it backed together to get the right diameter. It works for now.

I started with a softball sized ball of chaeto and harvested the pictured amount after 23 days. 20251109_132521.jpg 20251109_132536.jpg 20251109_133525.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20251109_132420.mp4
    43.1 MB
Great idea
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 18.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new