My Electricity Savings going from MH to LED's

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many of the threads on lighting between LED's and MH's. I see allot of comments stating that there is not very much savings in going from MH to LED"s. This is what inspired me to start this article. Just a little back ground. I have been reefing for a long time. When I first started, I was using Power Compacts. Not even sure they even make them any more. LOL. Then I moved to MH's, and there was basically only 6500K bulbs at that time. As they became more popular, more and more MH bulbs came on the market. Me personally I settled in on the Radium bulbs.

As my aquariums got bigger and bigger and started getting around the 200 gallons mark I would always use 3 MH bulbs and 2 SVHO bulb combo. I first started with 3-250MH SE bulbs and 2 SVHO actinic bulbs for pop. With this combo, I didn't need a chiller living in Texas. I could keep the tank cool by putting a fan over the sump when needed. As most of my aquariums were 30" deep, I bumped my MH's from 250watt to 400watt SE bulbs. Once I made this bump, the heat from that fixture was tremendous. I had to add a chiller.

My aquarium is in the living room, so once I added the chiller you would always hear the chiller kicking on and off all day long keeping the aquarium cool. Well it was just a matter of time before the boss put the end to that. It was basically a night mare for me. The chiller would kick on and export hot exhaust into the house. The hot exhaust would cause the AC to kick on to cool the house and cost me more money in electricity. I was having bills around $500 bucks a month. Now when it comes to electricity, the amount you pay per month means nothing. As everyone does not pay the same for their electricity. Its how many Kilowatt hours you consume. This is the only number that matters.

Below I have prepared the total power consumption of my 3-400watt x 2 SVHO bulb (2 -160watt) and 1 chiller combo for my aquarium. I had a total of 1520 watts of lighting over my aquarium. I would run the MH's 8 hours a day and the actinics 12 hours a day. So the actinics would come on 2 hours in the morning before and after the Halides for a 12hour lighting cycle. I dug up an old picture below from about 9 years ago

IMAG0591-2.jpg

Yearly Power Consumption for 3- 400 watt bulbs
400 Watt Ballast
Daily Hour UseKwatt/hr per dayKwatt/hr MonthlyKwatt/hr Yearly
8hr3.712111.361354.88
3 - 400 Watt Ballast4064.64Kwh Yearly
Yearly Power Consumption for Actinics

Actinic Suppliment
12hr4.596137.881677.54
1- 660 Ballast1677.54Kwh Yearly
Yearly Power Consumption for Chiller

Chiller
14hr6.72201.62452.8
1- Chiller2452.8Kwh Yearly
So the yearly consumption of the lights and chiller for what I call "The best lighting setup" form me was 8194.98Kwh for the year. So just to get a figure in front of you. If your electric company charged you 0.12cents kw your yearly cost for the lighting would be $983.40.

I then switched to LED's. Mainly to get rid of the noise in the living room and reduce the electric bill. No more fans on the fixture running that I could hear, and no more chiller kicking on. I first went with three GHL mitras. This is what was recommended by the manufacturer.
IMAG0660-2.jpg

Upon watching the tank over some time, I could see that I needed more light spread. The intensity was nice, but I wasn't getting the spread like I was on the MH's so I bumped it up to 4 fixtures. I stayed with 4 fixtures for many years. I was really happy with the lighting and coral color etc. No issues and no thoughts of going back to MH's.
DSC_1819-1-2.jpg

Moving forward. I upgraded the lighting to 5 fixtures over the aquarium. I purchased the 5th one to try and get more blue in the aquarium to get one of the sps I had to be the same color I saw on the internet. Well this didn't work but the spread was just like butter. It didnt hurt anything.
DSC_3914_1.jpg

So with all the setups above from the 3 to 5 fixtures. I run a 14 hour schedule of lighting. It has dusk to dawn and a peak of several hours of white of around 45%. Everyone's lighting setup is not the same and will vary for each fixture. Following below is the power consumption for the 5 GHL Mitras. I run my mitras in High Ouput Mode. They are rated at 208watts a piece if you run them with all channels at 100%. The only channels I have that ramp to 100% are my blues and UV's. Ramping figures are below.

ColorMax Peak Reading
Blue100
RB100
CW23
BW100
TG45
Hred20
SW45
UV100
HV100
Yearly Power consumption for 5 GHL Mitras

GHL MITRAS
14hr1.49444.82545.31
5 - GHL MITRAS2726.55Kwatt/hr Yearly
So to compare apples to apples. For 5 GHL Mitras running the program I have the yearly consumption is 2726.55Kwh. So if your electric company charged you 0.12cents kw your yearly cost for the lighting would be $327.19

MH setup yearly Cost : $983.40
GHL setup yearly Cost: $327.19
This is a savings of $656.21 per year. i have been running them for 7 years. Thats $4593.47. So for me that is a Huge Savings!

The power readings were taken with a Kill-A-Watt Meter. You can get one anywhere. One as simple as below can be had for less than $20. Its an easy way to determine your cost instead of guessing. Since LED"s are not linear in power usage unless you max everything out and turn them on, one of these gadgets below is your best friend. You can record power over time, get instant values etc.
20191013_115427.jpg

The power consumption above does not include the Air Conditioning kicking on more due to exhaust from chiller, but you get an idea of savings. I hope this helps someone whom is wondering what cost of fixtures may cost you. If you dont plan on taking an LED fixture and moving all the sliders to 100%, you may want to do a bit more research on power consumption. If you dont have a chiller in your mix, the power consumption will still be in your favor in most scenarios.

I will be doing the same with my new Orphek light in the future.

Update 10/15/2019
I have been testing the Orphek V4-2 on my display and I'm running a 14 hour lighting schedule. Its the "coral color" pre defined schedule that I have spread the hours out to come on and off around my GHL mitras seamlessly. Heavy clouds is enabled. The power consumption for the lights is as follows:

Orphek v4-2
14hr1.68850.64616.12
4 - Orphek v4-22464.48Kwatt/hr Yearly
If I replace the GHL's with the Orphek v4-2. I would run 4 of them. So if your electric company charged you 0.12cents kw. The yearly cost is below.

Orphek setup yearly cost: $295.74

Last edited by a moderator:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice Article - it would be great if you calculated the cost of the fixtures in the 'total cost' per year.....

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this has been done numerous times since mainstream led's hit the market. I think its way past its prime at this point. Very few even run mh anymore.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, this has been done numerous times since mainstream led's hit the market. I think its way past its prime at this point. Very few even run mh anymore.
There would be plenty that disagree (note - im not one of them)

1. Replacing fans
2.Replacing fixtures every x years at a cost of $700

etc etc

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was shopping for a light fixture, I came across a MH/T5 fixture. Just looking at the weight and size of it alone made it seem too old school. I went with LED/T5 and glad I did. I think it’s almost the norm these days.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was shopping for a light fixture, I came across a MH/T5 fixture. Just looking at the weight and size of it alone made it seem too old school. I went with LED/T5 and glad I did. I think it’s almost the norm these days.
I agree - prepare for battle

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby always was and always will be an expensive hobby, is the few dollars saved really matters on the grand scheme? Donno but if I was in acropora I wouldn’t be thinking twice in witch fixture I would go for.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wrong, I love mine, hard to get the look of halides with anything but halides
I kind of disagree - only because you havent see what you can do with LED's on your tank. You have been programmed to think 'its impossible' - but my guess is 'its not'. You may need more than the 'recommended..... but its possible

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of disagree - only because you havent see what you can do with LED's on your tank. You have been programmed to think 'its impossible' - but my guess is 'its not'. You may need more than the 'recommended..... but its possible
We can agree to disagree, I’ve tried leds more than once and I always go back. And My old 4’ fixture looks about the same as a new 4 bulb t5 fixture with less in the middle

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH setup yearly Cost : $983.40
GHL setup yearly Cost: $327.19
This is a savings of $656.21 per year. i have been running them for 7 years. Thats $4593.47. So for me that is a Huge Savings!

Wow, much bigger difference than I was expecting. Thank you for detailing this out!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would be plenty that disagree (note - im not one of them)

1. Replacing fans
2.Replacing fixtures every x years at a cost of $700

etc etc

This is absolutely an issue and one that I'm grappling currently with my new tank build, I love the look of halides but so many argue they are expensive to run. However two 250W Hamilton fixtures and ballasts with bulbs run me $800ish (CAD), one single Orphek V4 for me is $1700 (CAD) nvm the fact that Orphek suggest two or even 3 of them for my tank so that's $3400 (2) to light my tank VS $800. And yes you could get into the whole every year I'd be spending $150 on new bulbs but even at that the price difference works out to about 17.25 years worth of bulb replacements. Personally I don't see any LED fixture lasting even half of that time frame...

Anyway I think the savings debate has FAR too many variables to accurately conclude one setup is absolutely easier than the other on your wallet. And as mentioned in the article, it truly is a case by case basis. The average reefer is just going to have to crunch the numbers for themselves and see which lighting solution works best for them and there area.

I will add that this was an excellent write up and certainly something everyone should be looking into when considering a new lighting setup for there aquarium. It's great to see hard numbers on things that are usually so up in the air.

***Edited 19/02/20 to correct math inaccuracies in original post

Last edited:

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely an issue and one that I'm grappling currently with my new tank build, I love the look of halides but so many argue they are expensive to run. However two 250W Hamilton fixtures and ballasts with bulbs run me $800ish, one single Orphek V4 for me is $1700 (CDN) nvm the fact that Orphek suggest two or even 3 of them for my tank so that's $3400 (2) to light my tank VS $800. And yes you could get into the whole every year I'd be spending $200 on new bulbs but even at that the price difference works out to about 7 years worth of bulb replacements. With the current rate certain Orphek LEDs are burning out on there boards I don't see them even lasting 7 years.

Anyway I think the savings debate has FAR too many variables to accurately conclude one setup is absolutely easier than the other on your wallet. And as mentioned in the article, it truly is a case by case basis. The average reefer is just going to have to crunch the numbers for themselves and see which lighting solution works best for them and there area.
This is the best answer I’ve heard about this

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH pretty much nailed it.

There are way too many variables to say one lighting setup is better than another for everybody. I have 3 tanks running. One with MH and Kessils. One with Kessils and another with a cheapo led hood from petco. The tanks with leds only have the heaters on more often than not when the lights are on. Not sure of that offsets the power savings or not to be honest. My tanks are in my basement. It pretty much stays 66-68 degrees down there year round. The added heat from high power lighting isn't really a bad thing for me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@JoshH pretty much nailed it.

There are way too many variables to say one lighting setup is better than another for everybody. I have 3 tanks running. One with MH and Kessils. One with Kessils and another with a cheapo led hood from petco. The tanks with leds only have the heaters on more often than not when the lights are on. Not sure of that offsets the power savings or not to be honest. My tanks are in my basement. It pretty much stays 66-68 degrees down there year round. The added heat from high power lighting isn't really a bad thing for me.

Curious - so you're saying that the light is the same - and the costs are the same (I dont want to put words in your mouth) - but that seems what you're saying. I hear all the time that halides are MUCH MUCH better for corals

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - so you're saying that the light is the same - and the costs are the same (I dont want to put words in your mouth) - but that seems what you're saying. I hear all the time that halides are MUCH MUCH better for corals

Now your putting words in my mouth. I never said halides were much better for coral. Not getting into the light argument because I just don't care what people use.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, much bigger difference than I was expecting. Thank you for detailing this out!

Note that the author stated they lived in Texas, where a tank is more likely to need net cooling than I would in Northeast PA. If you plan on applying the article info to your tank, I'd suggest considering your local climate and home thermostat settings.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now your putting words in my mouth. I never said halides were much better for coral. Not getting into the light argument because I just don't care what people use.
Your absolutely correct my post was a bit obtuse - you said you have 3 tanks and you're using multiple types of lights so - (I thought) - you were of the opinion that the lights were 'basically the same'. My comment related to the fact the I hear from many people ( not necessarily you) - that halides are much better for coral (which to some people might mitigate the potential price savings for electricity). Sorry I wasnt clear

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back