My eternal curse - bryopsis; treating WITHOUT fluconazole?

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I don't know what ancient Lovecraftian evil I angered (hi Cthulu), but I seem to be cursed with eternally returning bryopsis in my 90 gallon SPS dominant tank.

I've treated the tank twice with fluconazole, and the same thing happened each time - all visible bryopsis dies off, and most of my acropora RTN/STN, despite obsessively close monitoring of no3/po4/alk. And within a month or so, the bryopsis returns.

My second treatment concluded a few weeks ago, and the tank looked amazing. Yesterday, I noticed a few tiny fronds poking their vile little heads up out of the rock work.

I would really, really like to stave this off before it becomes a problem, and I'd like to do so without murdering my acro population. So, there's zero way I am going to use fluconazole again. FYI, I've tried both Reef Flux, and Flux RX, with the same results.

Has anybody in here ever managed to keep this devil algae at bay WITHOUT fluconazole? If so, please let me know how!

-Mike

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I don't know what ancient Lovecraftian evil I angered (hi Cthulu), but I seem to be cursed with eternally returning bryopsis in my 90 gallon SPS dominant tank.

I've treated the tank twice with fluconazole, and the same thing happened each time - all visible bryopsis dies off, and most of my acropora RTN/STN, despite obsessively close monitoring of no3/po4/alk. And within a month or so, the bryopsis returns.

My second treatment concluded a few weeks ago, and the tank looked amazing. Yesterday, I noticed a few tiny fronds poking their vile little heads up out of the rock work.

I would really, really like to stave this off before it becomes a problem, and I'd like to do so without murdering my acro population. So, there's zero way I am going to use fluconazole again. FYI, I've tried both Reef Flux, and Flux RX, with the same results.

Has anybody in here ever managed to keep this devil algae at bay WITHOUT fluconazole? If so, please let me know how!

-Mike

Foxface. My tank was overrun while running fallow. enter mr Fox...

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the looks of foxfaces, but are there any that don't get too big for a four foot 90?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the looks of foxfaces, but are there any that don't get too big for a four foot 90?

One spot foxface would be ok in a 90.

Some urchins will also mow it, maybe first give it a try.

Obviously as always there are no guarantees but the first thing mine did was to eat it.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three tuxedos in there already. I'll do research on the foxfaces. Thanks!

Tuxedos prefer coralline algae. Pincushion is a safer bet but no guarantees.

Email John at Reefcleaners and ask what he’d recommend.

I don’t like using chemicals for algae tbh so you’ll just have to figure out your cleanup crew long term.

Hydrogen peroxide might work in some cases but I’ve found it’s not as effective as some of the smaller algae. 1-5ml/10gal twice a day, it takes a while. You can also try burning it directly with a syringe.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pointers; this is why I love this forum so much. I reallllly don't like treating with chemicals either. In my experience they usually do what they claim to, but there is always some horrible consequence attached.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an army of urchins. I mean like 25-30 of them. Pincushions are best for soft algae, IMO. Reeftopia has the best one, IMO. Larger, more colorful and are VERY hardy. They are like $7 in bulk. Once they do the job, you will have to give most of them away, but that will be a happy day.

They won't do well with super-elevated N and P, but if your Tuxes are doing well, then these will too.

Just a few urchins won't do anything.. they will just browse the easy stuff. You need a whole bunch to get to the salad bar and the less tasty stuff further down the buffet after the prime rib is all gone.

If you pluck as much as you can, this helps too.

I did have a Magnificent Foxface that crushed it... and then a few others that did not. Hit or miss, I am afraid.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people used to use Tech M. No idea if this still works... but Google might be your friend. It seemed to be pretty safe, IIRC.
Years ago I used tech M successfully. No ill effects and I still have one bottle around just in case. I saw the bryopsis literally melt away

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people used to use Tech M. No idea if this still works... but Google might be your friend. It seemed to be pretty safe, IIRC.

From what I recall, Kent changed the formula on Tech M a few years ago, shortly before Fluco's effect on bryopsis was discovered. Consensus at the time seemed to be that it wasn't the magnesium itself that killed bryopsis, but one of the other ingredients in Tech M that was bad for the devil's weed. When the formula changed, whatever was killed bryopsis was removed and it didn't work any longer.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finishing my first real battle with bryopsis.
Tech M didn't work, neither did the Brightwell Hydrat-M that claims to have the old Tech-M formula. (Earlier research points to a high level of lithium that was an impurity in the Tech-M- there's an old thread from 2017-2018 on it in here).
I used Reef Flux and as soon as it turned white/grey, my Foxface, Tomini Tang and Tuxedo all went to work. Red Leg hermits got in on it quite a bit, too, cleaning up the stuff deep in the cracks.

reaper0268

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reeflux on two separate tanks. No issues. If you have macro algae it will kill it. Just be sure to subtract sand and rocks so you don't overdose. I used seven pills on a 90. I followed up with normal water change schedule and added another pill to make up for what was lost. I had to treat for a month before eradicated.

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the op. I’m with you. I used prazipro for flukes in one tank and chemiclean in another for cyano. Both supposed to be extremely safe. Well they destroyed my corals. I’m looking at all my acros after the prazipro and they are all Stn and a couple already dead and I finished treatment 3 weeks ago. Never again with the chemical. Oh yeh and I think I’m getting bryopsis in a tank right now!!!

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m battling it right now. I have a bottle of Flux Rx but debating on using it. My magnificent fox doesn’t touch it. I haven’t seen my Halloween urchin do anything either.

For the heck of it, I had a frag covered along its base and remembered reading about peroxide, I took the frag and putin a small container and poured some peroxide along its base, not even 1/8 cup. Put back in the tank and was worried about the coral being out of water too long. Watched the briopsis start bubbling and my yellow coris pecking at it. Today the frag looks great.

Not sure what todo with the frags that are glued down. Maybe try squirting a couple every day or so with a syringe? Not sure how much peroxide I can put in the tank at a time without causing an issue.

Dipped a trochus that had a big tuft on its shell. Not sure if it survived the dip. When I put back in the tank, got a nassarius feeding frenzy and even the conchs. Looked like they were after the algae and dead bristle worm. Watching to see if trochus starts to emerge.

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a scribbled rabbitfish they are great eaters of strange algae that nothing else seems to like. Mine ate bryopsis when my tank had it. Cool fish too!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back