My experience acclimating Dalmation Mollies to a reef tank.

Ocellaris40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My desire for mollies was multi-fold. 1. I needed a voracious algae eaters - which I read on R2R that they love filementous algae - great, because after 6 months of running, I finally got the ugly stage. 2. friendly, community fish who wouldn't be bullies. I picked up 5 (1 male, 4 female) from a local petsmart - after explaining how to sex them to the petsmart employee, who advised she had no idea.

I read numerous forum posts and watched youtube videos, and virtually all stated that they had mortalities. One key commonality between all, is that everyone seemed to go pretty quickly in their acclimation (inside of a single day), and in my opinion it was primarily stress that killed them in these circumstances. I had some human error, but shockingly, still did not result in any fatalities, at least so far.

The setup: 20G Long tank filled with a mixture of tap and RODI water, air stone, heater, PVC pipes for hide in, and filter with no media. Just prior to fish i added a bottle of bacteria (Tetra was the brand, and only one available at LFS) and I bought 5 dalmation mollies (3.99 ea.) which were also suggested as being some of the hardier ones.

Day 1-2: temperature acclimate mollies and let them chill. They were very skiddish at first, which prompted me to just feed and let chill.
Day 3: Remove ~2 gallons, add~2 gallon bucket with salt content of ~1.070 with extrememly slow drip
Day 4: remove ~2 gallons, repeat - add prime + ~2 gallons hypersaline salt
Day 5: remove ~2 gallons repeat - add prime + ~2 gallons hypersaline salt
Day 6: remove ~5 gallons add water with salt content of ~1.040
Day 7: add ~2 gallons of normal saline ( 1.025) saltwater

Remove fish, drip acclimate over ~1 hour, removing 1/2 bucket contents half way through.

One snafu I had, when i was removing water somewhere between day 4-5, I accidentally sucked up one of the mollies, and hadn't seen her - because I was dosing prime, i was reusing water as i moved towards adding lower salt-content water, and dumped the bucket from that water "change" into another bucket that contained the extremely high salt content water. Noticing after probably around 20 minutes, i scooped her up with my hands and ran her back to the tank and dropped her in. within about 20 minutes she began behaving normally again, - i dosed Metro worried she had salt burns and might run the risk of infection.

The above figures are rough estimates - but i would check salinity daily, and only went up by about 0.005 per day when adding salt to slow the acclimation process. Anyway, thought I'd add this experience to the anecdotal data out there. I'll update if I have any additional snafu's, or if all is good I'll also relay.

They're now in a 40g breeder w/ 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, and 1 neon blue goby.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Sometimes mollies can be less than friendly, even though they are usually considered community fish. Have you noticed any fin nipping or chasing issues with these acclimated fish?

OP
OP
O

Ocellaris40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Sometimes mollies can be less than friendly, even though they are usually considered community fish. Have you noticed any fin nipping or chasing issues with these acclimated fish?
Hard to say so far- not really ,but they've only been in a few hours. There was a brief moment two females chased each other - and in fact I thought it was one of them dying, but it turns out it was chasing. Currently, I'm watching them as I type, the females are all schooling. Unlike when i first added them to the 20g tank where they didn't eat immediately. once i added them into the DT they went right for the algae. I'll keep updating here.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say so far- not really ,but they've only been in a few hours. There was a brief moment two females chased each other - and in fact I thought it was one of them dying, but it turns out it was chasing. Currently, I'm watching them as I type, the females are all schooling. Unlike when i first added them to the 20g tank where they didn't eat immediately. once i added them into the DT they went right for the algae. I'll keep updating here.
Any pictures of them in the tank. Do they look out of place? Thinking of doing this woth black mollies.

OP
OP
O

Ocellaris40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pictures of them in the tank. Do they look out of place? Thinking of doing this woth black mollies.
I think they add a unique element!

Attachments

• PXL_20230829_233441124.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230829_233441124.MP.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
O

Ocellaris40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: we're knocking on almost 2 weeks into this - and I'm happy to report 0 mortalities, and everyone is thriving, my algae is more in control. I'll update again when I am overwhelmed by their fry.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: we're knocking on almost 2 weeks into this - and I'm happy to report 0 mortalities, and everyone is thriving, my algae is more in control. I'll update again when I am overwhelmed by their fry.
They eat GHA?? I might do this then.

I am guessing since they are kept in fresh that there is no risk of transferring parasites? Or should I also QT them?

OP
OP
O

Ocellaris40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat GHA?? I might do this then.

I am guessing since they are kept in fresh that there is no risk of transferring parasites? Or should I also QT them?
I don't want to oversell how much algae they've eaten - but yes there does seem to be a reduction in it. Based on humblefish and other's posting/videos, there's no need to quarantine freshwater mollies when converting to salt. I did not.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honesy I've had better luck fast acclimating mollies. I have had 0 losses just doing a 15 min temp cloat and then just adding tank water ever 10 of 15 min till the bag is full then putting them in. I had 50% losses doing slow acclimation. Right now I've got one in my wife's biocube and a breeding pair in a 10 gallon that have started popping out fry. Both work, whatever process works for you. But on the plus side, acclimating from freshwater ensures no diseases carry over.

OP
OP
O

Ocellaris40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had a few rounds of Fry - most must get eaten by other tank mates before they take the plunge down to the sump, where i have found them. Still no adult losses!

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did about a 6 hour drip with mine only lost 2 out of 5 and I'm pretty sure my puffer was the reason they died because what little was left of them on my powerhead something ate most of it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back