My experience in raising up brine shrimps in NUMBERS

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the brine shrimp project for Banggai Cardinalfish breeding. With enough brine shrimps feeding on live phytoplankton I can raise up Banggais healthily until they start to eat frozen food.
I use two 2.5 gallon plastic jugs with air stones for the brine shrimps and four 64oz mason jars for the live phytoplankton culture. Using live phyto will slow down the water in culture being deteriorated by uneaten food thus causing bacterial bloom to kill of the brines. That being said, I do 100% water change daily to maintain water quality when the brines are small, and once every two days when they get large. Since the container is not big I have no issue doing that and I normally save up water from water change of my reef tank for this,
IMG_0682.jpg

I will start with hatching and separating the shrimps and egg shells, I use this aerated hatching kit for about 36 hr at 74 degrees for best results. The quality of eggs are also important, with one brand everything die off after 3 days post hatching with the method I use to raise them.
IMG_0677.jpg

After that I use the fine screened net on the right to separate shrimps and egg shells from water. I do tap water rinse every time I collected shrimps using net with no problem, the shrimps are getting a slow stream of tap water rinsed everyday without issue.
IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

After that the shrimps and egg shells are collected into a clear plastic container with saltwater, the shells are allowed to float to the top and shrimps attracted to the light can be collect with a turkey baster. At this point I would rather wasting some shrimps rather than collecting dead eggs and shells which will foul the water later
IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

After the young shrimps are in the raising up bucket I started to feed live phyto right away, by multiple times a day to the water is light green and feed again after water cleared
IMG_0708.jpg

With water change daily:
IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

After the shrimps get bigger I use the net with bigger mesh so that I can remove feces and left egg shells
IMG_0715.jpg

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat setup, thanks for sharing! How long does it take to raise them from eggs to the size you feed to your cardinals?

OP
OP
xjiang7

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat setup, thanks for sharing! How long does it take to raise them from eggs to the size you feed to your cardinals?
Thanks! I use the shrimps at all stages especially when the cardinals are newly released, they will enjoy one day old brines. Now the cardinals are bigger I keep two buckets so I can raise up the small shrimps first.
I would say for 2 weeks they will reach a good size to feed bigger juvenile cardinals, around 1-2 inches

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thread. I just got into this and have hatched some brine shrimp but didn’t have much luck growing them. Do they require light at any point?

OP
OP
xjiang7

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thread. I just got into this and have hatched some brine shrimp but didn’t have much luck growing them. Do they require light at any point?
I don’t think so. Bad water quality is often the cause when mine died off. I also have the best culture with the San Francisco Bay brand eggs

ysper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to include links of the nets and filters you are using?

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I was totally interested until you said daily water changes ☹ . Ill have to wait until I retire .

Awesome setup you have over there! Best of luck.

OP
OP
xjiang7

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I was totally interested until you said daily water changes ☹ . Ill have to wait until I retire .

Awesome setup you have over there! Best of luck.
Thank you! yeah it is a lot of work but it is required when the shrimps are like a few days old with some empty shells and dead eggs basically rotting in there. I have a 10 gallon bucket with a small pump and I fill it every time I do WC with waste water. There is little extra cost just a lot of extra labor

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the brine shrimp project for Banggai Cardinalfish breeding. With enough brine shrimps feeding on live phytoplankton I can raise up Banggais healthily until they start to eat frozen food.
I use two 2.5 gallon plastic jugs with air stones for the brine shrimps and four 64oz mason jars for the live phytoplankton culture. Using live phyto will slow down the water in culture being deteriorated by uneaten food thus causing bacterial bloom to kill of the brines. That being said, I do 100% water change daily to maintain water quality when the brines are small, and once every two days when they get large. Since the container is not big I have no issue doing that and I normally save up water from water change of my reef tank for this,
IMG_0682.jpg

I will start with hatching and separating the shrimps and egg shells, I use this aerated hatching kit for about 36 hr at 74 degrees for best results. The quality of eggs are also important, with one brand everything die off after 3 days post hatching with the method I use to raise them.
IMG_0677.jpg

After that I use the fine screened net on the right to separate shrimps and egg shells from water. I do tap water rinse every time I collected shrimps using net with no problem, the shrimps are getting a slow stream of tap water rinsed everyday without issue.
IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

After that the shrimps and egg shells are collected into a clear plastic container with saltwater, the shells are allowed to float to the top and shrimps attracted to the light can be collect with a turkey baster. At this point I would rather wasting some shrimps rather than collecting dead eggs and shells which will foul the water later
IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

After the young shrimps are in the raising up bucket I started to feed live phyto right away, by multiple times a day to the water is light green and feed again after water cleared
IMG_0708.jpg

With water change daily:
IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

After the shrimps get bigger I use the net with bigger mesh so that I can remove feces and left egg shells
IMG_0715.jpg

How are you doing the 100% water change? Do you have some sort of filter or sieve to catch the brine shrimp? Are you doing the 100% change in multiple parts (two 50% water changes).

I'm trying to imagine how you could drain all the water out of the culturing vessel without losing the brine shrimp.

OP
OP
xjiang7

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you doing the 100% water change? Do you have some sort of filter or sieve to catch the brine shrimp? Are you doing the 100% change in multiple parts (two 50% water changes).

I'm trying to imagine how you could drain all the water out of the culturing vessel without losing the brine shrimp.
yeah I use the two nettings (depends on size of shrimps) to catch the shrimps. The container only has~ 1.5 gallons so I can tip it using one hand to pour water out while the other hand using the netting.
Reason for 100% WC is the feces are collected on the bottom (also sticky) so I need to remove the shrimps and give it a light scrap

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back