My experience with the Icecap CO2 scrubber

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the large CO2 scrubber from Icecap and it wasn’t working at all. I knew it should be, since the PH would drop whenever my wife and kids were here, dramatically, but it just wasn’t working. I finally went to change out the media and start over after adding water and found the problem. There is a tube that feeds from the bottom of the scrubber so the air goes through the media, well that tube had pushed out when I pushed my air line in. I pushed it back in as best I could (it’s a tight fit and the tube is now cracked) and MAN what a difference. Highest peak for PH is now 8.39.

785D8EBF-C78E-48BE-8F8A-DA30648D8CDA.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I've been considering getting this CO2 scrubber. I see that the current range is approximately 8.17-8.39 - what was it before you added the scrubber?

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I've been considering getting this CO2 scrubber. I see that the current range is approximately 8.17-8.39 - what was it before you added the scrubber?
It would drop to 7.6 and barely reach 8. I won’t know for sure how much the effect is until this weekend when we’re all here, but I’ve never had ph this high. I was consistently hitting 8.14 or so when they weren’t here, but will have the numbers for their visit this weekend.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size skimmer is it being used on? I ordered the small and it’s on the IM DC skimmer. I just connected it late last night, haven’t seen any rise yet. How long did it take to see the rise in pH once you got it working?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size skimmer is it being used on? I ordered the small and it’s on the IM DC skimmer. I just connected it late last night, haven’t seen any rise yet. How long did it take to see the rise in pH once you got it working?
You should see CO2 scrubber results by the next day. Are you recirculating the air through the skimmer cup?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I looked into it but have not decided yet. I do here that it does have its benefits.
Definitely look into recirculating air through skimmer cup. CO2 media lasts for months. Very simple to setup.

2B6E4EFA-03FA-48B0-828F-BD421DAB494E.jpeg

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.73, over night was at 7.53. I did some maintenance on my skimmer as it had some obstruction on the inlet of the venturi. Now it is making some nice air/water mixture. Then again, we did have the front door open for a bit. Now that it’s closed I’ll see how much further it will rise.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back