My first aquascape

MindlessToxin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post here and my first attempt at an aquascape. Just getting into the hobby. I've probably spent over 20 hours watching and listening to reefers on YouTube, mainly BRSTV. I ordered 80 lbs of Shelf LifeRock Dry Live Rock for my 75 gallon tank. I didn't realize they would all be flat bottom pieces so I tried to make the most of of what i got. I'm still waiting on the rest of my gear to come in the mail. What do you guys think?
20231201_124516.jpg
20231201_124528.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks nice but doesn't offer many/any hiding places for fish. You wanna create lots of caves and some places where fish can be completely out of sight. Don't be afraid to go in the garage or outside and break some pieces to make more usable rocks :)
Definitely experiment with different designs. When I did mine, I just started putting rocks together, taking it apart and doing it again until I finally found something that worked!

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a hammer & break a couple of your flats into “feet” and raise some other flats up off the bottom, creating caves. Glue the feet on with superglue and sand. I bought too much shelf rock too. I made a bunch of those and then stacked them. The fish appreciate the hiding spots.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
more caves, for sure. i like how things are stacked (seems very secure and likely wont need glue/epoxy/mortar). but if you plan on having fish, definitely try to incorporate some caves.

OP
OP
MindlessToxin

MindlessToxin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a hammer & break a couple of your flats into “feet” and raise some other flats up off the bottom, creating caves. Glue the feet on with superglue and sand. I bought too much shelf rock too. I made a bunch of those and then stacked them. The fish appreciate the hiding spots.
I like this! I have a couple extra little pieces. I think I will make some feet and bring some of the flats up to make some caves on the sides of the arch. I really didn't wanna mess with the big arch if I didn't have to. It took some time getting all the right pieces to stack like that lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back