My First Attempt at Aquascaping - Feedback Welcome

NickD213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I am relatively new to the saltwater world, but have enjoyed watching videos and learning about aquascaping for a few years now. Some of my favorite videos were put out by the artist James Findley of The Green Machine in the UK.

In learning how to carry over these design elements into a reef tank, I enjoyed the content put out by BRS — I ended up using about 35lbs or so of AR Rocks in my first Aquascaped tank. I highly recommend BRS for dry rock, although I’m tempted to try the live rocks from my LFS on my next tank.

As far as the dry rock goes, I opted to get pre-colored purple rocks for the pop of color. I seeded the tank with coralline algae, but it’s nice to have the purple contrast right away. It does make it a bit more difficult to track the progress of the real algae, however. If I use dry rocks again, I might try the white ones to better track the changes in my tank.

All in all, I’m happy with the looks of my design. Dual power heads on either side of the tank seem to do a good job of keeping everything circulated well and I haven’t noticed any areas where detritus collects. My YWG and pistol shrimp have claimed the cave on the left and it’s fun to watch them move sand around. My basslet likes to play up around the arch which is also pretty neat. My tank is currently a FOWLR, but I intend to add some corals soon. I incorporated a few good shelf spaces into my aquascape that will give them a good place to grow without interfering with each other too much.

I’d be happy to receive feedback on my design and any tips are welcome. I’m not sure when my next tank will come to fruition, but it’s always nice to learn something.

Pics show current state as well as the day I first added the water.

A60F2864-467A-4712-9582-64D304389D17.jpeg
3E6F2CF4-632C-470A-BB36-0CC3D927119C.jpeg

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks cool! I love the opening in the center. You need to find a really cool coral to display in it. Great looking set up!

Don't forget to create your build thread so we can follow your progress! Link in my signature:)

OP
OP
NickD213

NickD213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks cool! I love the opening in the center. You need to find a really cool coral to display in it. Great looking set up!

Don't forget to create your build thread so we can follow your progress! Link in my signature:)
Thank you! I’ll have to look into that.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back