My First Build. 200 gal. Acrylic tank. Here we go.

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted pictures of some of my rock. Can someone help me identify some of it?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture 2 and 3 look like rough limestone. Picture 4 is holey rock. Just limestone that was pulled out of an old aquifer. It is not very porous. I used to use it for african cichild tanks. Pic 5 is just regular old fossilized coral. The thing is that the fossilized coral is so compressed together you don't see individual coral skeletons. Pic 7 looks like rough limestone. The rough limestone, depending where it was mined, may not be very porous. Doesn't mean you can't use it, but you won't get good bacterial colonization. All in all, looks like good rock to start a tank with.

I agree with what others posted about the unknown corals. The thing about free coral, it's free because no one else wants it. The number one reason no one wants it is typically invasive nature. I recommend isolating those corals until you can tell what they are, but even isolating them wont stop them from taking over your tank if you leave them in too long.

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture 2 and 3 look like rough limestone. Picture 4 is holey rock. Just limestone that was pulled out of an old aquifer. It is not very porous. I used to use it for african cichild tanks. Pic 5 is just regular old fossilized coral. The thing is that the fossilized coral is so compressed together you don't see individual coral skeletons. Pic 7 looks like rough limestone. The rough limestone, depending where it was mined, may not be very porous. Doesn't mean you can't use it, but you won't get good bacterial colonization. All in all, looks like good rock to start a tank with.

I agree with what others posted about the unknown corals. The thing about free coral, it's free because no one else wants it. The number one reason no one wants it is typically invasive nature. I recommend isolating those corals until you can tell what they are, but even isolating them wont stop them from taking over your tank if you leave them in too long.

Thank you for helping.

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little coral are surviving.

E6B3040B-1859-45E1-AB00-BA99FBA8E5AF.jpeg

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During my flow test I think I have decided that the two 1" lines struggle to keep up with one pump at full speed and I want to run two pumps at a much slower speed. But do want to have flow when needed.
My tank is drilled for two 1" siphons and two 3/4" returns. it does not have any other over flows. Not really any room to drill more holes in the bottom of the overflow boxes.
What it I turned the two 3/4 lines into second siphon lines and drilled holes in the back at the top of the tank? I was thinking four return lines to spread it out across the tank. It is 220 gallon.
Any advise on this?

14e004e1-2d4c-45fc-9f6b-ea66cf0b4390-jpeg.874827

OP
OP
P

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost filled. ran for about 18 hours. Shut it off this morning about 2 inches from the top. Will finish filling after work tonight......

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back