And Here We Go!

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build thread since having discovered Reef2Reef! I currently have a Nuvo 20 that I have had for about 3 years and has transformed over from a few different tanks I have had throughout the years. I had up to 3 tanks in my college dorm room and always swore to myself whenever I made it into a permanent house with a good job, I'd jump into a bigger tank! Well today is the day.... I found my dream tank, an Innovative Marine 100 ext. and I decided having been in my house for 8 months and having the "big boy" job, as well as convincing the girlfriend that a big tank was not only cool but a necessity, I would take the plunge. I contacted the guy who luckily only lives 15 mins from my house and went to look at the tank and it's absolutely pristine. He's on Reef2Reef too so Mike, if you see this, thanks so much for your help in the transfer! I'll update this with pictures of the transfer and the final product but needless to say it's going to be one late night for me!

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was a loooong night and a heck of a lot of work but the new tank is up! The only mishap we had was forgetting to take off that black plexiglass sheet that sits between the tank and stand before driving it home so a quick run to Home Depot for new plexiglass and it’s like it never happened! All the new fish and old fish seem to get along well so far. The tank is still clearing up but I may go get a filter sock to clear it up better than the floss I have in now. All in all it took 6 and a half hours from start to finish but it was totally worth it. Also don’t mind the mismatched lights, a new 32HD is in the works to match the other one.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days in and everything is getting along well! Our dog Bandit is loving being able to look up and see fish easier. I thought about it and I'm not really sure which costs me more money... him or the tank! I figured I'd put together an equipment list since I finally have everything mostly together.

Tank:
-Innovative Marine 100 ext w/ white APS Stand

Sump:
-Luna Arc-4418

Lights:
-1 Hydra 26HD (temporary)
-1 Prime 16HD (temporary)

Skimmer:
-Curve 5 Elite

Heater:
-2 300w eheim jager heaters (one as backup)

Flow:
-2 jebao SCP-120s

Return:
-Jebao DC (I will upgrade this very soon as it's pretty loud but it moves water for the time being)

Controller:
-Neptune Apex A3

Attachments

• Bandit and Fish Tank.JPG
    Bandit and Fish Tank.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like it’s been forever but it’s really only been about three weeks. LOTS of updates for the tank so here we go!

I ordered a five light on Amazon that came recommended so to put it up I jerry rigged a Prime 16 light mount to hang it over the fuge and it worked super well
1709071434697.jpeg

Then, a few days later I got a call from my girlfriend saying there was a “weird noise” coming from the tank… well it was alarms. So I rushed home, checked my ups and realized it had died. Now I know that they aren’t super useful for longer than a few minutes but I like having one incase of a hurricane because they will take the dirty generator electricity and clean it up. We also very rarely get outages due to buried power lines aside from the occasional flicker which it can more than handle. So I got a bigger one to replace it.
1709071933219.jpeg

After this I continued testing my water and realized my alk was falling and I didn’t like that. I did some research and realized that All For Reef would be a good solution allowing me to not have to do as many water changes. I found a Dos being sold new in box, still shrink wrapped and decided to go for it. So I got a dosing container, mounted the Dos and the shelf for the container on the side of my controller cabinet. I started dosing and my alkalinity has slowly risen from 6.4 to 7.7 over the course of two ish weeks and my goal is 8.5 before I level it off to maintain that number.
1709072280500.jpeg

Last major update was the cabinet I got to store all the stuff and supplies for the tank. I had stuff everywhere, in the fridge, garage, kitchen drawers, and pantry so I decided it was time to consolidate. I had about 13” to work with and I found an Ike’s cabinet that was a foot wide. Next was figuring out how I was supposed to keep an ATO reservoir since I was covering the space with a cabinet. So I drilled some holes and plumbed a hose into the bucket. Then ran the hose through to the bottom shelf so all I need to do is hook up a pump and it’ll pump water into the ATO reservoir. To monitor the water level I have an optical sensor to shut off the ATO if it gets critically low and a liquid level sensor to measure overall volume left.
1709072794899.jpeg

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!
Separate control cabinet is cool to keep sump area allot cleaner, and side cabinet is a must. Setting up a new system myself and wife said she didn't want to see all my fish tank stuff so I had to hide it somewhere. Got a smaller matching cabinet to go along side the DT. Now might bookending with a tall cabinet like you did.

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!
Separate control cabinet is cool to keep sump area allot cleaner, and side cabinet is a must. Setting up a new system myself and wife said she didn't want to see all my fish tank stuff so I had to hide it somewhere. Got a smaller matching cabinet to go along side the DT. Now might bookending with a tall cabinet like you did.
Thanks! I didn't necessarily like how close it was to the glass, but the reality was I couldn't see anything out of that side anyways just due to it only being far enough from the wall for me to shimmy in to manage plumbing stuff if needed. To clean it I'm going to pick up a cheap razor scrapper and just use that whenever it gets bad enough. My controller cabinet doesn't match because I had the Nuvo 20 with black stand which it matched so my girlfriend has been bugging me to get a white one to match it so that's up next!

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some new stuff for the tank today! I really need to get better at pics but here they are!
1709513390657.jpeg

Derasa clam with a bright blue rim around it (much like blue maxima coloring) ft. my Sailfin Tang
1709513475254.jpeg

Long Polyp Toadstool
1709513513088.jpeg

Pink Cadillac
1709513550520.jpeg

1709513598922.jpeg

Large Grafted Monti. This thing is SO bright. It has bright yellow polyps, predominantly green and all the under growth of the main shelf is red.
1709513697556.jpeg

Super bad pic but it’s a Brain Freeze Monti

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I picked up quite a few corals since the last update. I met a local guy who has seemingly every single type of torch and hammer and he has been amazing to buy from. Great prices and even healthier corals! I got this two head dragon soul torch, and the left one is one that I had never heard of and even called TSA to get more information on, but it's called the TSA Holy Moly Gold Torch. The colors on it are absolutely mind blowing in person. It has so much green and gold in it. All these pics were taken right after lights came on so they are all a bit closed up and some were just added last night so that's why they're looking shrunken, but I couldn't wait to share.
1710253782212.png

He sold me this super awesome Holy Grail Hammer too. I was having trouble grasping the difference between that and a normal gold hammer and well.... I'd say the pics speak for themselves. The left is the HG and the right is a normal gold hammer.
1710254041711.png

I also picked up this blue tipped hammer to round out the garden.
1710254251284.png

And lastly, a full shot of the hammer and torch section!
1710254368397.png

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I updated this. I have added a LOT of corals since the last update! My girlfriend also picked out a Helfrichi Firefish to add (hes peeking out in the corner of the pic). I warned her he would probably hide a lot due to their timid nature and all my fish being very active. To my surprise, he's been out constantly, every day!
Tank update.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back