My first build... vertical!

What color should the back glass be painted?

• Black

• Dark Blue

• Light Blue

• White

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a rough sketch on what we are talking about. Its will also show one of the perks for sump tanks.
The return exit is lower than the overflow. Once the return pump is turned off, water will backflow into the sump (which a check valve will inevitably fail). Water will keep going back into the sump until the siphon breaks. To break this, you need a way for air to enter the tube. There are different ways to do it, but ultimately you need two holes ( incase one gets covered) that will suck air in instead of water. If its above your water line, a lil water will squirt as your pumps are in so position it in a manner that's not distracting. If under water, make sure to clean it from time to time to prevent a clog. I personally have the return ends slight buried under water where my sump can handle some of the water it sucks in before air enters the system. You can calculate how much water will back flow by adding the water that will get sucked in above the return end + the water in the return pipe.

All this eliminates a need for a check valve.
20190211_132419.jpg 20190211_133856.jpg
This should solve the plumbing issue. There are some other great guides if you need more explanation on the web.
That being said, there are other concerns you need to address or be ready to address in the future with a deep tank:
-Cleaning the substrate (long butt stick connected to a cleaner)
-Will the tank glass blow out ( is glass thick enough and seal, this one I cant help with)
-Water flow at the bottom to keep junk suspended and prevent it from being a dead zone. (wave makers and getting access to the bottom)
If I think of anything else, also other members might bring up some good points, we will bring it up. With this hobby, there is no such thing as 100% failsafe, the best we can do is make reduce the chance as much as we can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's back!!!

20190401_181643.jpg
After the mistakes made I decided it was time to re-think filtration and safety. Here are the updated pics. I added two of those stupidly expensive check valves from BRS (cool tho!), an emergency overflow, re-thought plumbing layout, and finally caved and put in a true sump!

Couple of the items in the picture are temporary so give me a chance to tune this baby in first! They include:
Skimmer is just a crappy one laying around j threw in there for visual representation.
The lava rock is from the old tank. I tried to keep the bacteria alive to shorten the cycling time of this new tank. Once I'm established I will slowly replace with good ol live rock.
This area is also set up to have a fuge, but my chaeto didnt survive waiting for the new tank to come online.

20190401_181651.jpg

20190401_181658.jpg

20190401_181710.jpg

20190401_181730.jpg

An area I really need help with is the darn overflow. I need a way to stop fish from getting sucked, but it needs to be aesthetically pleasing, and (here's the tricky part) I'm running a Herbie overflow and need a solution that won't screw up the blissfull silence! Haven't puzzled through this one yet.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's back!!!

20190401_181643.jpg
After the mistakes made I decided it was time to re-think filtration and safety. Here are the updated pics. I added two of those stupidly expensive check valves from BRS (cool tho!), an emergency overflow, re-thought plumbing layout, and finally caved and put in a true sump!

Couple of the items in the picture are temporary so give me a chance to tune this baby in first! They include:
Skimmer is just a crappy one laying around j threw in there for visual representation.
The lava rock is from the old tank. I tried to keep the bacteria alive to shorten the cycling time of this new tank. Once I'm established I will slowly replace with good ol live rock.
This area is also set up to be a fugue, but my chaeto didnt survive waiting for the new tank to come online.

20190401_181651.jpg

20190401_181658.jpg

20190401_181710.jpg

20190401_181730.jpg

An area I really need help with is the darn overflow. I need a way to stop fish from getting sucked, but it needs to be aesthetically pleasing, and (here's the tricky part) I'm running a Herbie overflow and need a solution that won't screw up the silencing affect! Haven't puzzled through this one yet.

It's back!!!

20190401_181643.jpg

This area is also set up to be a fugue, but my chaeto didnt survive waiting for the new tank to come online.

20190401_181651.jpg

20190401_181658.jpg

20190401_181710.jpg

20190401_181730.jpg

An area I really need help with is the darn overflow. I need a way to stop fish from getting sucked, but it needs to be aesthetically pleasing, and (here's the tricky part) I'm running a Herbie overflow and need a solution that won't screw up the silencing affect! Haven't puzzled through this one yet.

Sounds like on Herbie overflow there's no weir?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool! I voted light blue! :p But I would have chosen a gradient from dark blue to light blue!

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a photo of the overlow(s) and give me measurements. I think I might be able to help you out.

:)

20190403_081643.jpg
20190403_081722.jpg

Here's a couple photos of what I'm working with. I wasnt very delicate with the cuts as I knew it would need some sort of cap

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have strainers you can slip into the pvc. Its lack fromBRS but you do need a coupler to attach them. You can try some kind of plastic mesh aswell.

Ah! I see those from BRS. Figures they have 1in and 1.5in.. I ran 1.25 ha. Will figure something out using that and covering in the same material plastic material as everything else.

If anyone else has an idea in the meantime let me know!

Thanks goodair!

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting project! It seems like you're planning to add live corals? Very excited to see how thats going to look :)

Thank you! I wanted something unique.

Yes. Thoughts on what to add? Sticking to softies in the beginning until I understand the tank and lighting a bit better. The depth adds a curious element

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! This is the style I thought you meant! A little slimmer.
Screenshot_20190403-152654_Chrome.jpg
That one is perfect for yours actually! The 1" strainer with a 1"-1.25" reducer should work. Maybe you can rig some material around the male side of the strainer to make it thicker so you can directly attach it to the pvc. Enough to make it snug and not slip off, but not tight enough where you can't remove it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back