My first GFO Reactor

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just set up my first GFO reactor I put in 10 TBS of GFO (I have a 55 gallon tank). My phosphate was a 4.0 ppm this morning before I set it up. I am aiming for about .05 ppm. I was wondering how often I need to change the GFO and if anyone has any tips to help make sure I don't do anything wrong that would mess up my tank. :)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just set up my first GFO reactor I put in 10 TBS of GFO (I have a 55 gallon tank). My phosphate was a 4.0 ppm this morning before I set it up. I am aiming for about .05 ppm. I was wondering how often I need to change the GFO and if anyone has any tips to help make sure I don't do anything wrong that would mess up my tank. :)
Assuming the PO4 level is not too low now, the plan would be to replenish as needed, either when the PO4 concentration stopped declining or starts to increase. How much you recharge depends on what 10 tablespoons did for your system. If 10 tbs brought it down 1 ppm, use 10 again. if it brought it down more, start charging less on the next charge.

Shaummy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also test the outflow of your reactor and if it's testing at/above/close to your tank, then the media is exhausted. If your tank is where you want it at that point, you may not need to replace the media and manage phosphate additions from there. If you still need reduction, you can gauge the amount it dropped by the amount you used and adjust from there.

Back