OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Setup! Are you running XR15 Pro or Blue?
Thanks! Those are Blue. I'm still tinkering with the templates - tried them all, but they are all really... blue... :) Will probably adjust for a bit more white during dinner time just for visual purposes. Wife's not too keen on too much blue. Can't win 'em all, can you...

I saw you were looking for outlet options like a DJ power bar.

I used the Kasa WiFi power strip and love it because I can turn things on and off with my phone. And when I turn my return pumps and power heads off for feeding coral can set everything to turn back on with a timer (prevents me from forgetting to turn back on).

I don’t think the larger 5 plug is available over there, but I see the 3 outlet one on Amazon.AU
Thanks! I'll take a look at that. Although now I'm re-thinking the whole dry cabinet layout, seeing I don't need that much shelf space as I thought I would. I've drawn up a rough picture, inspired by some of the cool layouts on this forum and will try to work on it during the next few days. Basically something modular, easy to take out when needed and hiding wires out of place. I'll take a look at those strips.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Kasa WiFi power strip and love it because I can turn things on and off with my phone. And when I turn my return pumps and power heads off for feeding coral can set everything to turn back on with a timer (prevents me from forgetting to turn back on).
They look same/similar to what I have now - https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-5-outlet-smart-powerboard-with-grid-connect_p0074830 - also WiFi, but the control app for the ones I have is a nightmare to use (buttons too small, slow to load). So I'm thinking of ditching WiFi altogether and going back to the hardware switches. After all, it shouldn't be often I'd need to use them. Again, not sure yet - just thinking out loud.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, not a day without doing something :)

Most of the fish jump. Not sure why - my floors are not as clean as inside the tank, but they probably don't know that and want to try and see for themselves. Plus there's an interesting creature with a tail that says woof-woof running around, which will probably help them back into the tank once they had a run around... Anyway, not sure what fish think, but it became obvious that I cannot start stocking till I have a lid.

Looking at ordering a proper, nicely made lid from either ClearView or ReefTops. In the meantime, spent an hour cutting up some wire mesh and padding it so it doesn't scratch the glass. It's not a pretty sight, but nothing is jumping through that!

20200502_160210.jpg

I don't actually plan to use the autofeeder, until I go on a business trip or a holiday (and who knows now when that's going to happen), but I picked it up today, so I could lay out the custom lid's specs.

20200502_160235.jpg

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Those are Blue. I'm still tinkering with the templates - tried them all, but they are all really... blue... :) Will probably adjust for a bit more white during dinner time just for visual purposes. Wife's not too keen on too much blue. Can't win 'em all, can you...

Thanks! I'll take a look at that. Although now I'm re-thinking the whole dry cabinet layout, seeing I don't need that much shelf space as I thought I would. I've drawn up a rough picture, inspired by some of the cool layouts on this forum and will try to work on it during the next few days. Basically something modular, easy to take out when needed and hiding wires out of place. I'll take a look at those strips.
I’m undecided on blue or pro, leaning towards blue for now. I’m doing 3 XR15 on my reefer 500 to come. Are 2 XR15 suffice for the 525?

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m undecided on blue or pro, leaning towards blue for now. I’m doing 3 XR15 on my reefer 500 to come. Are 2 XR15 suffice for the 525?
I'm far from being an expert on this, but the 2 that I have provide a lot of coverage, even running at 40-50%. I haven't actually tried them at a 100% - not sure if they're meant to be cranked up to be there. What my LFS owner said - if I go into SPS, I'll want a 3rd one, but if I stick with LPS, 2 will be enough. I'd start with 2 - you can always get a 3rd one in. It's still cheaper than 2 XR30s.

My wife hates the blue hue, BTW, but it's better for coral growth than the pro spectrum, from what I understand. I'll probably add more white during dinner time, but otherwise blue is good, I reckon. It does make taking photos impossible though :)

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from being an expert on this, but the 2 that I have provide a lot of coverage, even running at 40-50%. I haven't actually tried them at a 100% - not sure if they're meant to be cranked up to be there. What my LFS owner said - if I go into SPS, I'll want a 3rd one, but if I stick with LPS, 2 will be enough. I'd start with 2 - you can always get a 3rd one in. It's still cheaper than 2 XR30s.

My wife hates the blue hue, BTW, but it's better for coral growth than the pro spectrum, from what I understand. I'll probably add more white during dinner time, but otherwise blue is good, I reckon. It does make taking photos impossible though :)
Let’s see how white they can be when you’re at it. I read the G5’s AB+ aren’t as blue compared with the G3 or G4 in AB+.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple of days with fish has brought in some confidence that things are running and a visit to my LFS was inevitable :)

I wasn't actually planning on getting anything, but rather checking up on my stocking list and his orders, but alas, couldn't resist. The tang was on my list anyway and it was the last one in store, so why not...

Green leather - I found a spot for it, but need to go back and grab some glue tomorrow...
20200506_114506.jpg

This guy settled in well and is always happy to pose for a photo now... Maybe it's a girl? ;)
20200506_115527.jpg

A blue tang was on my wish list and he was the last in the store. He's really small (4-5 cms), but of course my daughter called it Dory straight away. He (she?) is really shy, so it'll take some time - I could only take 3-4 photos during the whole day.
20200506_151446.jpg

The Blenny thinks he owns the tank, I reckon. Looking down at the newcomer...
20200506_155037.jpg

A FTS - not much to see, just for history... The Blenny is in the middle (his head is sticking out where the branches meet) - watching left and right. This is one of his favorite spots.
20200506_192312.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update... Dory, I mean the blue tang, has settled in and is eating now. Blenny is still the boss and clowns are trying to figure out who's gonna be boss (the lady), I reckon, but they are the friendliest and swim up to look up directly at me when I try and hover over the tank.

Moved the green leather onto a ledge, but it's still not opening up.

Got 3 helios, which settled in well.

Also got a goni, but struggling a bit with it. It opened up a bit, then closed down, then I moved it and we repeat again. Turned down my flow to the 2nd position on the MP40s. Waiting...

Today in the morning got a whole lot of brown patches on the sand, so the ugly stage is starting. Probably no more photos for a while :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugly stage is in full swing now.

The blue tang got a few scales damaged - the LFS looked at it and said it's most likely physical damage from him sleeping inside the small crevices. Watching him like a hawk to make sure it's not a parasite or anything else.

Got 3 zoas and a free Stomatella snail on one of the frags :)

20200510_153151.jpg

20200510_153213.jpg

20200510_153228.jpg

He's overlooking his new garden:
20200510_163021.jpg

Overall, getting to know my tank better and better and waiting to buy a few bits to re-do my dry cabinet.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted in a while - been stocking up a little bit in the mean time, and just waiting for the tank to stabilize further.

Started dosing NoPoX and KH (just by hand at the moment - will get a doser later).

Not a single water change so far, which I'm happy about. Everything is naturally refreshed through evaporation and auto top-up (6-7 litres per day). Need to get into the habit of cleaning the sump, but not entirely sure how to approach it yet.

Got most of the remaining bits for the dry cabinet, but now don't have the time to organize it properly. Will get to it once school's open up again and I don't have to homeschool my daughter :)

My current stock list:

- Black Percula x2
- Lawnmower Blenny
- Blue Tang
- Banggai Cardinal x4
- Bicolor Blenny
- Flame Hawkfish

- Cerith, Nassarius, Stomatella snails
- Peppermint Shrimp x3
- Sand Sifting Startfish

- Catalaphyllia
- Green Leather
- Goni
- Helios x1.5 (1.5 were eaten by the shrimp...)
- Zoas x3
- Purple Mat x2
- Hammers x3
- Duncans x2

And of course some photos in no particular order...

20200525_135642.jpg
20200529_130735.jpg
20200529_161112.jpg
20200521_175217.jpg
20200522_115136.jpg
20200522_131458.jpg
20200523_132059.jpg
20200523_132123.jpg
20200523_132129.jpg
20200523_132139.jpg
20200523_132150.jpg
20200523_132200.jpg
20200523_132206.jpg
20200523_132300.jpg
20200523_132409.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still here :)

Today my custom lid from ReefTops arrived and it fits very well. The whole process took less than 4 weeks, which is really good considering it's shipped from UK to AU during these troubling times.

20200615_155716.jpg
20200615_155734.jpg

Still going through the ugly stage a bit, but hopefully will soon have it under control.

One of the Bangaii Cardinals I got previously turned out to be a real bully and he killed 4 other cardinals I got him in pairs to try and diffuse the situation. After he's done all that, he either committed suicide or picked on the wrong target, because he died a few days later.

On the same day (night) he passed away, I got myself a lipstick (naso) tang, but he's bigger than everyone else by probably two-fold. Maybe the cardinal tried to bully him too, but lost. Anyway, the tang is happy, doesn't seem to bother other fish (including the small blue tang I have there) and is munching on seaweed. I'm hoping he'll help with cleaning up algae too.

Also got 2 scollis for my birthday as a surprise present from my wife (she went to my LFS without me knowing and they picked them out, since he knows my tank).

Overall things are going well and looking forward to when the ugliness goes away and corals start to grow.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you need a chiller?
No, not in Melbourne :)
Nice Lid! I'm still on the waitng list for Clearview lid.
Thanks! ClearView was the second choice I explored, but they were a bit more expensive and their wait times are a lot longer too. Being in AU, I'm far away from both companies, so no particular preference in terms of country of origin.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back