dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll use this thread to keep notes for my future self and maybe somebody will find something useful in here as well.

A short intro - I only got into this hobby (aquariums in general that is) around September 2018 and bought my first large (240L) tank December that same year. Spent a few frustrating months getting things to click together by research, trial and error and spending every weekend at my LFS and my patience and persistence did pay off in the end - the ecosystem I built stabilized and fish started to grow and everything seemed to tick along quite well with quite minimal maintenance. Then, for some unknown reason, I wandered into the marine section at my LFS and realized that marine is what I actually want. I'm a terrible gardener in real life and keeping a planted aquarium is probably twice as hard as keeping a veggie patch :) I do mow my lawn pretty well though, so not all is lost. Anyway, reef gardening seems to be a whole different world and I prefer purple to green any day. Plus all the interesting invertebrates and of course amazing fish.

Now, just today I sold my FW tank pictured below and it should be picked up tomorrow. Thus my marine journey can now start. I simply do not have enough space to run both and that was a condition from my wife, that I only keep one. Hard to argue...

20200215_164457.jpg

First order of business was to choose a marine tank and I've read a million posts here and reviews and rants and comparisons and have carefully studied all relevant manufacturer's sites. I also contacted a few manufacturers to both gauge response time and friendliness and happy to say that all I spoke to passed this test with flying colors :)

My FW tank was a 4 footer and it felt just a little bit small as it sits against a 7 foot wall span. So I was choosing between a 4 and a 5 foot, since a 6 footer would be too heavy and of course also would require more equipment, adding both to the initial investment and ongoing maintenance costs.

There was quite a bit of choice and it took me well over 3 weeks to make the final decision. I was choosing between Red Sea, Waterbox, CADE, EvolutionAqua and Aquarium Systems. I've looked at all those tanks and all of them have pros and cons, as you know.

To have an open mind, I decided to leave tank cost out of the equation at first, so that I could concentrate on the actual hardware, rather than worry if it's too expensive or not. The exact models I compared (and built a spreadsheet about) were: RS 350, RS XL 425, RS XL 525, WB 130.4, WB 170.4/5, CADE S2-1200, CADE S2-1500, EA ReefPro 1200, EA ReefPro 1500, AS 570 (L'Aquarium).

I liked the dual return nozzles and the glass weir on the Waterbox; I liked the integrated ATO and glass cabinet as well as the dual intakes on the CADE. The EvolutionAqua didn't jump out at me as good at anything in particular, so I wasn't sure what's better compared to others and crossed it off my list; AquariumSystems has the same cabinet as CADE and overall looked rather well; Red Sea is a well-known (well, not to me) brand with a long history of high quality tanks. So, overall, any of the tanks seemed good at first and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make a choice.

Then I spent some more time thinking and researching and started to build a list of "cons" for each. These are my personal gripes with every system and they in no way reflect the overall quality of the tanks, but these are somethings that I'll know will bug me and seeing how hard it is to transfer one tank to another, I'd rather not go through that process, at least in the foreseeable future (whatever that may be).

So, for me the issues came to - AquariumSystems does not have a dry cabinet in their 5 footer and I cannot imagine putting electrical equipment such as a UPS next to a sump; CADE was too wide at 70cms and was the most expensive on my list; Waterbox was second most expensive (pricier than a Red Sea) and does not have a gravity-fed ATO, thus requiring an additional pump, and it's also a tad wider, while my preference was for a longer, but narrower tank.

So, after all of that the choice became quite obvious and I've placed an order for a Red Sea XL 525 (black cabinet). Their new cabinets are marine-grade plywood, so same as Waterbox and they also have gravity-fed ATO in their sumps now (similar to CADE) and the Red Sea came out cheaper than a similar sized Waterbox.

Hoping to get my tank within the next 2-3 weeks and in the mean time I'll start building an equipment and stock list and maybe start playing around with life rock (I have a design in my head, but it's a whole different question whether I'll be able to put it down in rock).

Sorry for the very long post, I'm sure subsequent posts will be shorter (and hopefully with lots of photos).

The next post will be about reinforcing my floor, so that it can actually hold the tank, as I'm confident it would fall through if I tried to put it there now. It should happen mid next week.

Thanks for reading and cheers :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef,nice intro,looking forward to seeing,should start a build thread get a badge easy to follow happy reefing

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi welcome to the reef,nice intro,looking forward to seeing,should start a build thread get a badge easy to follow happy reefing
Thanks! I thought this was how you start a build thread? ;) I'll need to re-check the instructions - badges are fun!
This sounds like a great build and keep the picture coming

The FW tank looked very nice
Thanks and will do! Yeah, if I could keep the FW, I'd do that, but I need an extra room in the house and that's a bit tricky...
Welcome to R2R

Sincerely Lasse
Cheers!
Hi from UK and welcome to r2r, you will enjoy your time here.
Looking forward to see how it all develops.
Thanks! So much information to take in, but having the tank delivery so far out and then the cycle, gives you time to plan and execute more-or-less leisurely. The marine prices are a killer though ;) but when I see the livestock at my LFS, it's all worth it (if I can keep it alive)...

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case someone needs this in the future - the dry weight of the 525 XL is approximately 303kg. Adding a full tank and ATO brings the total system weight to around 850-860kg (including equipment in the sump).

This is the layout of the sump, to plan what can go where before the tank arrives.

image002.png

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the FW tank was picked up a couple of hours ago, so all systems are "go ahead" now (although I did place the order for the RS before anyway, so there's no turning back). The tape measure is the 150cm of the RS525.

20200305_210109.jpg

Looking forward to getting some life rock and starting to put it together while I'm waiting to reinforce the floors and the actual tank.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post will be about equipment and I'll edit it as I get more stuff over the next couple of weeks.

(updated April 22nd 2020)

Tank: Red Sea 525XL (black)
Skimmer: Nyos Quantum 160
Flow: VorTech MP40 (x2)
Sump pump: Tunze Silence 1073.050 (swapped from 1073.060 to reduce noise)
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Heater: Eheim thermocontrol 200
Lights: Radion G5 XR15 Blue (x2)
Doser: TBA
Power: Eaton 5S 1600, VorTech Battery Backup
Aquascape: Real Reef Rock (circa 30kg), Aquaforest Stone Fix
Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (20 kg)

Last edited:
OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One step closer - floors reinforced (doubled some joists and bearings and placed new joists where the front feet should go roughly). Reinforcement material - hardwood F17.

Sorry for the mess in the images, but I need to build proper shelving and bring back all the stuff that was stored here. I moved it all out of the way to clear space for this job.

20200312_131508.jpg

20200312_131457.jpg

20200312_131443.jpg

20200312_131426.jpg

Can't wait :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the last two days aquascaping and with trial and error and input from the community here (and overwhelming input from my wife), I think the final layout will be more-or-less like this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/first-time-aquascaping.699425/post-7205787

I put small rubber bands on most rocks before taking it apart and lots of photos and even a video, so hopefully I'll be able to re-assemble this closely once the rocks dry up and are ready to be cemented. I'll be using Aquaforest Stone Fix.

The plan is to cement both bases and the bridge first (so I'll end up with 3 large pieces) and then do final position adjustments and cement them together in the tank. Otherwise I'm afraid to break something if I try to place the whole megastructure at once :)

Drying up:
20200314_171014.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good I like the reinforcement
Thanks! I'll probably run down a couple of string with weights, then put the cabinet plus tank (300kg) and see if they move. Then start filling and check every once in a while to see if there's movement. I'm a bit worried, but if all goes well, I won't have to put another prop there, but if I do - there's space for it.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a night person... Who else would start cementing at half past nine in the evening? Oh well :)

The Aquaforest Stone Fix is not like regular cement that I used for posts, etc... there seems to be a point at which it instantly becomes really hard (and then unusable), so I'm still experimenting and trying to keep to recommended proportions, but so far so good - haven't wasted any and fixed the two heaviest stones that hold the left island together. It does really set within 15-20 minutes, as I tried to pull them apart and they are set.

I clean out the tray (should've used something more sturdy than a cheap plastic, as I'm afraid to break it when mixing) between each small batch - I mix up 125g of cement and roughly 60-80g of water. I think there must be a better way to do this, but it's too late today.

I'll definitely need more stone fix, so back to LFS in the morning.

20200320_220441.jpg
20200320_220456.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is definitely about cultivating patience :)

My tank has now been delayed by over 2 weeks from the initial planned date (due to increased demand on the suppliers, reduced number of staff all over, etc...) and it has been 4 weeks since my FW tank moved out. This did allow me to plan out the equipment cabinet a bit better (e.g. went with WiFi switches instead of a dj power strip, which is close to impossible to find in Australia anyway, at least for any reasonable amount of money).

The current delivery date is set for tomorrow, so fingers crossed...

In the meantime, I've collected all the equipment I'll need to get things going. The only thing missing at the moment is the Vortech backup battery, as these seem to be out of stock everywhere here.

20200331_082607.jpg

And yes, I will not be using RODI water - it'll be straight from the tap (just dechlorinated and salted up of course). That's what my LFS does and he's been doing so for the last 30 years and works fine for him. Our water quality is considered really good down here (definitely one of the best in Australia - I can easily taste the difference when going to other states).

Anyway, hopefully cabinet and tank shots will be coming soon :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news came at around 11am today - the tank finally arrived to my LFS and I dropped everything and went over there to pick up the cabinet and sump.

Perfect fit:
20200401_113228.jpg

DT will be delivered by the LFS owner once I'm ready:
20200401_113246.jpg

Stand assembled and centered! Took around 2.5 hours - and Red Sea was thoughtful enough to provide a few spare bits and pieces.
IMG-20200401-WA0008.jpeg

Once the tank was on the stand, it took me around 30 minutes to get it leveled - the multitude of adjustable feet made for an interesting challenge till I got the hang of it. It's good that there are so many though, as it helps spread the weight.

Washed 25 kgs of sand and finally put my aquascaping where it belongs! I may need a bit more sand - it's around 2cms all around at the moment.
20200401_211412.jpg

20200401_213049.jpg

20200401_213101.jpg

Placed the skimmer, return pump and heater (it's horizontal on the bottom behind the skimmer) and then spent about an hour sticking the 5 meters of LED lights in there (they can go any color, so I'm still experimenting with what works best).

In the equipment section, I'll wait till I have everything and then start organizing. The powerboards are WiFi operated (one is connected to the UPS with battery backup while the other is without battery backup) - I plan to stick them to the back wall probably.
20200401_230614.jpg

20200401_230642.jpg

Today I spent 12 hours non-stop on this. Feel exhausted, but excited!

Tomorrow the water goes in and the fun continues!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back