First time aquascaping

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I expected... my wife came home and this whole design was blown to bits :( She's an architect/building designer and sometimes it's just so bloody hard... argh! Going back to my LFS tomorrow for more rocks, as her idea is clearly going to need another 20 kgs. Will update later... On the bright side - if she signs off on it, she can't blame me for the bad layout later ;) (but she will still try probably)
Oh, god. Never marry an artist.:eek:
I guess that advice is coming a little late.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so another 10kg of rocks and a couple of branches made my wife a bit happier with the overall design :) The bridge in between will have some more small bits of rock on it once we cement the major parts together. I tried to keep a couple of caves in there and some overhangs for fish to hide in if they need to.

20200314_114819.jpg
20200314_114827.jpg
20200314_114835.jpg
20200314_114846.jpg

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I expected... my wife came home and this whole design was blown to bits :( She's an architect/building designer and sometimes it's just so bloody hard... argh! Going back to my LFS tomorrow for more rocks, as her idea is clearly going to need another 20 kgs. Will update later... On the bright side - if she signs off on it, she can't blame me for the bad layout later ;) (but she will still try probably)
Something similar happened to me! I spent a couple of hours working on the ‘scape and one “don’t you think that’s too much rock” comment sent me back to the drawing board. Good luck!!

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more small bits on the bridge to bring it close to the final layout...

Now the trick is to mark it somehow to put it back together after I take it apart. Thinking of using a marker to draw lines in the back. Is that what you usually do?

20200314_121928.jpg
20200314_121935.jpg
20200314_121944.jpg
20200314_121950.jpg

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I did love the 2 island design I have to say!
As for marking it, maybe mark the individual pieces by editing a photo, a bit like when people edit their photos to show PAR readings and then use sticky labels on each part as you disassemble

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I did love the 2 island design I have to say!
As for marking it, maybe mark the individual pieces by editing a photo, a bit like when people edit their photos to show PAR readings and then use sticky labels on each part as you disassemble
Thanks! I'll give into this so she feels happy :) and there is more rock now, so more space for bacteria and corals. I've marked the rocks with rubber bands and washed them now - will be cementing tomorrow. Updating the build thread too. So much fun and I don't even have the tank yet, lol :)

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good way of doing it, hadn't thought of that before! Make sure you're happy too, I'd leave them set for a few days without cementing to make sure you're both happy!
I had mine set up for 2 weeks and managed to change it 3 times

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good way of doing it, hadn't thought of that before! Make sure you're happy too, I'd leave them set for a few days without cementing to make sure you're both happy!
I had mine set up for 2 weeks and managed to change it 3 times
I took it apart already :) soaked them in water for a bit, hosed off bits and pieces and now they're drying up. I'm not really all that fussy about the actual scape, as I know I'll be looking at the livestock and corals in the end and the rocks will look a bit different anyway. If the wife is happy, that's one less thing for me to worry about and I can move on to other stuff - you know, pick your battles sort of thing ;)

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it apart already :) soaked them in water for a bit, hosed off bits and pieces and now they're drying up. I'm not really all that fussy about the actual scape, as I know I'll be looking at the livestock and corals in the end and the rocks will look a bit different anyway. If the wife is happy, that's one less thing for me to worry about and I can move on to other stuff - you know, pick your battles sort of thing ;)
My other half pretty much wants nothing to do with mine, isn't even bothered about how it looks...mainly because she didn't want it in the first place haha. So my major battle is over for now I think...until I want a bigger tank that is

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other half pretty much wants nothing to do with mine, isn't even bothered about how it looks...mainly because she didn't want it in the first place haha. So my major battle is over for now I think...until I want a bigger tank that is
That's how it was with my FW tank actually - I got it in, we had many discussions about scaping (I had rocks and plants - it's in my avatar) and at first she would argue and we'd move things around, but then she mostly gave up and in the end I just moved and replaced stuff and she just looked at the fish :) This tank is different, because I won't be able to replace or move the structure that's in it, but I think we'll make it work. I can also claim the sump as my totally own private space :)

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more small bits on the bridge to bring it close to the final layout...

Now the trick is to mark it somehow to put it back together after I take it apart. Thinking of using a marker to draw lines in the back. Is that what you usually do?

20200314_121928.jpg
20200314_121935.jpg
20200314_121944.jpg
20200314_121950.jpg
OK. Bridge effect is always popular (with people and critters). I can feel whatcha got goin' there.

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the first post and thought "a bridge would look awesome on these" only to get to the end and see a bridge! i love it haha. Wish i woulda made one before finalizing my layout.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Bridge effect is always popular (with people and critters). I can feel whatcha got goin' there.
Thanks! Yep, I would love to see some shrimp hang out on it (or under?)!

I saw the first post and thought "a bridge would look awesome on these" only to get to the end and see a bridge! i love it haha. Wish i woulda made one before finalizing my layout.
Looks like it was a good decision to listen to my wife (but don't tell her that) :D

I like bridges too

755BCC8F-F2E1-4D8F-AD95-FC57A175DBFD.jpeg
Looks good and really clean!

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"No, Honey. It's just that as you get older things look bigger. That's the same tank that's always been there."

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back