OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pieces not staying together? Or not sure where they go?
A bit of both - I had the perfect layout, but the same pieces don't seem to fall into the same spots, causing the whole layout to be different (can't make caves, overhangs, etc...). It's a bit frustrating, but I'll dedicate a bit more time tomorrow. And I still don't have my tank - so much fun even before that, lol :D

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of both - I had the perfect layout, but the same pieces don't seem to fall into the same spots, causing the whole layout to be different (can't make caves, overhangs, etc...). It's a bit frustrating, but I'll dedicate a bit more time tomorrow. And I still don't have my tank - so much fun even before that, lol :D
You've got plenty of time to get it all sorted, might even find something else you enjoy more!

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right - I started from scratch and came up with something that I like even more now :) This adds a tunnel, as I always wanted, and has a higher bridge that seems a bit more natural... Will have lunch and look at it some more and start cementing.

IMG-20200317-WA0002.jpeg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other half pretty much wants nothing to do with mine, isn't even bothered about how it looks...mainly because she didn't want it in the first place haha. So my major battle is over for now I think...until I want a bigger tank that is
just remember... always easier to get forgiveness than permission.
:cool:

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you have. I would add/make room for a small separate rock if you are considering GSP or pulsing xenia.
Thanks! I had to look those up and yes, one or both of them is something I'd love to have - I saw them at my LFS, but didn't bother to ask yet :D

I can make the most right rock in the small island separate a bit and move it to the front. I'm also planning on adding a small rock on the very left, close to the top, otherwise it looks very thin, but I ran out of rocks and my LFS is closed today.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I had to look those up and yes, one or both of them is something I'd love to have - I saw them at my LFS, but didn't bother to ask yet :D

I can make the most right rock in the small island separate a bit and move it to the front. I'm also planning on adding a small rock on the very left, close to the top, otherwise it looks very thin, but I ran out of rocks and my LFS is closed today.
there are corals that you don't attach to a rock, that sit on the sand bed. also clams.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bridges are cool, but it’s really nice to be able to take them apart and move the rock if you need to. If you cement the bridge you will likely have to break it to move the rocks, or come up with a design that comes apart

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are corals that you don't attach to a rock, that sit on the sand bed. also clams.
Got it! I'll keep that extra rock as a spare then and just leave sand there till I make a decision on what I'm actually planting.
Bridges are cool, but it’s really nice to be able to take them apart and move the rock if you need to. If you cement the bridge you will likely have to break it to move the rocks, or come up with a design that comes apart
Good point. I'm hoping I won't need to move anything, but who knows. My plan is to cement both islands, so that they're completely stable and then cement the bridge on its own and see if it would be stable enough on its own. If not, then I'll have to cement it in, but if it's ok, then I can keep it without fixing it in place. At the moment the whole structure is balanced on its own and I'll try to cement it the same way.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of advice i was given, so many of us use the length of the tank for design and not use the depth. IF you can try creating depth as that adds more dimension to the aquarium.
That's good advice. I may be able to move the right island to the front a bit more, to not have them on a straight line. Once they're whole, it'll be easier to play with, as at the moment it can all fall apart at the slightest touch :)

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good advice. I may be able to move the right island to the front a bit more, to not have them on a straight line. Once they're whole, it'll be easier to play with, as at the moment it can all fall apart at the slightest touch :)
Yeah every beautiful reef i have saw always has layers from front to back given the aquarium depth.
"Sunny's Reef"
1584412409649.png

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, with all the replies I'm getting here I'm procrastinating :D
hahaha
ok, Sdot gives a great suggestion.
envision this. go higher on the left. don't bridge to the other.
rotate the the bridge and continue it down to the sand bed.
add a second "no longer a bridge" next to it so its like a wishbone, sorta.
gives a lot of surface area for corals and swim room over and under.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I know what you mean... I'll play around with it some more :) I have a couple of days before the tank gets here, so might as well invest time in this. Will be back soon with photos.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is beginning to look like a dinosaur skeleton :D I'm liking it - bringing the bridge forward does open up lots of possibilities, thanks!

What do you think? I'd put a couple very small rocks to make some of the smaller gaps (especially the one at the very top where the rock is barely touching) seem more solid and naturally flowing, but overall?

20200317_140949.jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back