OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous one was a bit too heavy and I forgot one important thing - width measurement :) I was pushing it almost right to the glass, which is not great. So, this is a reworked version... The very right piece can be easily freestanding.

This is hard work ;Nailbiting:D

20200317_152033.jpg

20200317_150413.jpg

Last edited:

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right - I started from scratch and came up with something that I like even more now :) This adds a tunnel, as I always wanted, and has a higher bridge that seems a bit more natural... Will have lunch and look at it some more and start cementing.

IMG-20200317-WA0002.jpeg
Absolutely love that!

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes you have got the scape better now than your first attempt the rock on the right was better than the left. You do have to play around a bit and try to visualise how it’s going to look with the corals You are hoping to get. Maybe if you have an iPad or laptop you can take a photo of you rock scape load it in a photo editor probably ones that are free, add cropped photos of the corals you like, actually theses days you can outline them before you cropping them and place them on your scape to see an overall picture of what it might look like, just a thought.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes you have got the scape better now than your first attempt the rock on the right was better than the left. You do have to play around a bit and try to visualise how it’s going to look with the corals You are hoping to get. Maybe if you have an iPad or laptop you can take a photo of you rock scape load it in a photo editor probably ones that are free, add cropped photos of the corals you like, actually theses days you can outline them before you cropping them and place them on your scape to see an overall picture of what it might look like, just a thought.
Yep... Looks like I'm starting from scratch tomorrow, as my wife doesn't like what I've done and while it may only take a couple more days for me to push whatever design through (I've bombarded her with photos and videos of the rockwork while she was in the office and I think if I do that long enough, she'll just give in) I can also feel that the design is not great, going by the replies here and my gut feel. Thanks for the input! I only have one chance to get this right, as I don't want to re-assemble the rocks for the next few years... Will keep tweaking and will be back with photos later (night time in AU).

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm starting to go in circles... This rock re-arranging game is fun, but I need it to stop somewhere, otherwise I'll spend another week doing this ;Nailbiting :D

Latest attempt. Wife says she'll re-do it tonight :rolleyes:

20200318_124624.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fun...watching! Wish I had done this...

I'm a fan of Post #61
Thank you for the vote of confidence! I'm hoping that in posting so much here, someone may see some ideas they can use for inspiration... If you think I'm posting too many pics, just let me know ;)

New design concept, while waiting for my wife to come home and critique everything :)

This one is all about free flow in and around - the photos don't really show it, but it's all very airy.

20200318_150039.jpg
20200318_150046.jpg
20200318_150055.jpg

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on size of tank...think I read every post, may have missed it!

...never mind - looking at your build thread now!

kgs, litres?... I need to go back to grammar school...and leave R2R after a few cocktails! :(

Last edited:

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm starting to go in circles... This rock re-arranging game is fun, but I need it to stop somewhere, otherwise I'll spend another week doing this ;Nailbiting :D

Latest attempt. Wife says she'll re-do it tonight :rolleyes:

20200318_124624.jpg
I think my favourite was the first one you did after you got more rock! Otherwise the design I've replied to is good, maybe a tiny bit more height on the right!

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my favourite was the first one you did after you got more rock! Otherwise the design I've replied to is good, maybe a tiny bit more height on the right!
Thanks! That one lacked caves proper caves and tunnels, but it was simpler. I'm still not done yet - a few more days till the tank gets here, as it was delayed a bit, so I can (and will) have a few more tries.

I think that's the biggest problem actually - if the tank was here, we'd spend a night, get everything more-or-less in place and then I'd move on to other problems and the scape would be overgrown and overrun by creatures I should be concentrating on.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That one lacked caves proper caves and tunnels, but it was simpler. I'm still not done yet - a few more days till the tank gets here, as it was delayed a bit, so I can (and will) have a few more tries.

I think that's the biggest problem actually - if the tank was here, we'd spend a night, get everything more-or-less in place and then I'd move on to other problems and the scape would be overgrown and overrun by creatures I should be concentrating on.
Have you got a QT up and running?

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a QT up and running?
No, at least not yet. I've got a couple small (30 litres) FW tanks leftover from my daughter's attempt at this hobby, so I can use those if I need to. I plan to buy all of my livestock from my LFS though, so he'll be doing most of QT work, since I can see what he has and for how long :)

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, at least not yet. I've got a couple small (30 litres) FW tanks leftover from my daughter's attempt at this hobby, so I can use those if I need to. I plan to buy all of my livestock from my LFS though, so he'll be doing most of QT work, since I can see what he has and for how long :)
Does he actually quarantine and treat new arrivals or are you planning on observing them in his tanks for a period of time?

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he actually quarantine and treat new arrivals or are you planning on observing them in his tanks for a period of time?
I haven't asked him about his QT procedures yet, as I was planning to do that once I'm ready to put together my initial stocking list (after my tank arrives and is cycling). He's been running that shop in the same spot for the last 30 years, and I visit him every week or fortnight, so I do observe the fish there regularly :)

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should rename this thread to "a scape a day" ;)

Anyway, here's one more take. My wife actually said that it's better than what I've done before, which is surprising (or she is finally ready to give up). I'm trying to go all around the tank here (I mean back and forth, not just one long line) with lots of flat surfaces and nooks and tunnels.

20200319_133119.jpg
20200319_133219.jpg
20200319_140336.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 84 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back