OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the presses - breaking news, lol :eek:

Moved a couple of rocks as JoshO suggested and my wife signed off on the layout - I can't believe it ;Nailbiting

20200319_202605.jpg
20200319_202610.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next question - do I cement it top to bottom or vice-versa? Seems easier to go top-to-bottom, as I can lift off one rock, cement it, place it back, wait, then take the bunch off, etc... Right?

JCMelski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an internal overflow tape that out also. I have two in my tank and wish I got a tank with out them. They take up a lot of room.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next question - do I cement it top to bottom or vice-versa? Seems easier to go top-to-bottom, as I can lift off one rock, cement it, place it back, wait, then take the bunch off, etc... Right?
I think top to bottom, move the ones you can and cement, wait for it to cure fully then lift then next layer and so on!

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an internal overflow tape that out also. I have two in my tank and wish I got a tank with out them. They take up a lot of room.
I don't even have a tank yet :) So, I'll cement this all out of the tank (probably in 2-3 large bits) and then put it in.
I think top to bottom, move the ones you can and cement, wait for it to cure fully then lift then next layer and so on!
Yep, otherwise I'm never getting structure back together again, as the last posts have proved ;) Thanks!

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the presses - breaking news, lol :eek:

Moved a couple of rocks as JoshO suggested and my wife signed off on the layout - I can't believe it ;Nailbiting

20200319_202605.jpg
20200319_202610.jpg
Looks good, can you remove the joining bit to create too islands to see what it would look like?

May as well try one more scape while you have time.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, can you remove the joining bit to create too islands to see what it would look like?

May as well try one more scape while you have time.
The bridge is something my wife is set on, so... no ;) she wants it there and I have to give in there. I think it may work well in the future with some small colonies (of something that I don't know yet about) or just for shrimp to hang out on and have a beer or two. Basically the concept is to have an interconnected landscape. But thanks for your input - always happy to hear different ideas!

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even have a tank yet :) So, I'll cement this all out of the tank (probably in 2-3 large bits) and then put it in.

Yep, otherwise I'm never getting structure back together again, as the last posts have proved ;) Thanks!
I'd possibly cement it in a few larger chunks and construct them in the tank, rather than try and go for one big structure, if you ever need to disassemble, move things around etc it gives more flexibility, plus there's less chance of it coming apart when you move it and possibly cracking the glass!
20200319_202610~2.jpg

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd possibly cement it in a few larger chunks and construct them in the tank, rather than try and go for one big structure, if you ever need to disassemble, move things around etc it gives more flexibility, plus there's less chance of it coming apart when you move it and possibly cracking the glass!
20200319_202610~2.jpg
Thank you - that's a great idea! It does make sense and will definitely make it easier to at least put it in. I was thinking of just having the bridge on its own, but having 5 smaller structures is easier to maintain in the long run.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - that's a great idea! It does make sense and will definitely make it easier to at least put it in. I was thinking of just having the bridge on its own, but having 5 smaller structures is easier to maintain in the long run.
The last thing you want is to drop or have one of the larger structures break apart as you are moving them into the tank so hopefully it'll help minimise that risk!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait till you have the tank.
make sure it fits.
if the tank has a center brace that could create problems getting it in the tank.
put it in the tank and than sit where you'll be viewing it to see how it looks.
get the wife's approval.
:cool:

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait till you have the tank.
make sure it fits.
if the tank has a center brace that could create problems getting it in the tank.
put it in the tank and than sit where you'll be viewing it to see how it looks.
get the wife's approval.
:cool:
Ah, got it. Yes, good advice!

I do know exactly what tank I am getting and there is no center brace and this will fit, because I have dimensions on the table :)

The tank will be in this same spot, so I have been looking at this structure from my usual spots (I'll be dining pretty much across the table looking straight into it and looking at the left corner from the couch). It's pretty much spot on where it'll be...

I only have one chance at a wife's approval and it's in writing in WhatsApp too :) so might as well go for it.

OP
OP
dvlpr

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days later and I've got a cemented structure! :)

There were some tweaks along the way, so the final product does not look like the previous one, but I was almost expecting that. I've added another arch and decided to keep the bridge skinny for now. There may be final touches once it goes into the tank, but I'd rather concentrate on other stuff.

Took longer than I expected, but I doubled up on some joints and had to wait for pieces to properly bond before turning them around and applying cement from the other side.

Will introduce coralline algae as soon as I can, so that it covers cement and any other oddly colored bits.

20200324_155026.jpg
20200324_155037.jpg
20200324_155050.jpg
20200324_155209.jpg

... and it comes apart into 6 manageable pieces, that are still heavy enough to be left on their own.

20200324_161642.jpg

Thanks for watching and participating :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back