My first reef aquarium. Be honest what do you think?

Dalescarpentry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef aquarium. I had fish only saltwater tanks 20 years ago. Then my daughter came along and we needed the room that the tanks were taking up so I have been out of it for 17 years. I decided to start this one up about 3 months ago and it is coming along great. My tank is 75 gallons and it includes 1 Penguin 400 Bio Wheel 1 280 Penguin Bio Wheel and 1 Penguin 200 Bio Wheel for filtration. I also have a 10 gallon sump that has a Vertex protein skimmer in it. I have an Odyssea T-5 4 bulb lighting system. I have to say I am really enjoying my tank and can't wait to get home from work to sit in front of it and see what new things are happening in my tank. I really like the Zoa's and am getting new baby polyps almost daily. I am going to try to post a video of my aquarium that I shot about an hour ago. Well let me know what you guys think of my new set up. Any advice would be cool since I'm new to reefing. Thanks for looking Dale[video]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1302.photobucket.com%2Falbums %2Fag134%2Fdalescarpentry%2F001_zps883325e8.mp4">[/video]

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to tell you but theres nothing in ur photobucket. Not to the link u posted atleast

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider a few things being this is your first reef tank. The lighting is sufficient but having the glass top will block some of the light from reaching the corals. Watching the fish in the tank I noticed 3 species of clownfish. Mixing clownfish can be difficult at times and that tomato clown looks like he is running the tank. The clownfish might become aggressive and start beating each other up so I would monitor their interactions for aggression. The penguin bio wheel filters are probably not necessary because the live rock is serving as a biological filter. Overtime the penguin filters will probably become nitrate factories and cause more harm than good. What water parameters are you monitoring? How often are you doing water changes?

OP
OP
D

Dalescarpentry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test for nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, ph and calcium weekly and all are good. I change 10 gallons of water every 2 or 3 weeks. I am going to be starting another fish only tank in the near future and am planning on putting the tomato Clown in it. He does chase some of the other fish and wish I had not got him.Although he has gotten a little better and does not chase the other fish as much as he used to. The other 3 clowns get along very well. Thanks Dale

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 125 48.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back