My First Reef - Lifegard 10gal AIO

1 Salty Nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! This is my first reef tank and first build thread and I'm excited to document my journey.

I've had freshwater tanks for a while, but I've always wanted to do saltwater for a couple of years now. And then, my husband got me the tank and light for my birthday in March! I'm starting a little bit late here as I first put up the tank on March 31st, so it's been up and running for about a little over a month, but I'll give you the run down.

The Build - Current Status

IMG_2468.jpg

(photo taken 5/9/2023)
Start Date: March 31, 2023

Equipment:
  • Tank - Lifegard Aquatics 10 gallon AIO
  • Light - Fluval Marine 3.0 Nano, 20W
  • Pump - stock pump (Quiet One)
  • Heater - Eheim 50W
  • Powerheads - TBD
  • ATO - TBD
  • Skimmer - TBD

Filtration Media:
  • First chamber - heater
  • Second chamber, from top to bottom - small filter sponge, activated carbon in a small bag, filter floss
  • Third chamber, from top to bottom - bio bricks, coarse sponge

March 31, 2023 - The Setup​

I first got the tank and light on March 22 (my birthday!). I knew it was better for beginners to get bigger tanks, but...oh well, I was up for the challenge. So I quickly set off to researching and visiting my lfs to browse. Once I had everything I needed - rocks, sand, water, heater - I put everything together on March 31.

I started with dry rock, live sand, some filtration media (coarse sponge, fine sponge, filter floss, charcoal, and bio bricks), the stock return pump, and the Eheim 50W glass heater. To kick off the cycle, I added MicroBacter Start XLM and Dr. Tims ammonia up to 1.5ppm. Lights were off at this point.

IMG_2222.jpg

April 22 - First Fish!​

By April 22, the nitrogen cycle was complete and all ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were all reading 0ppm. Need ammonia to keep the new bacteria fed, after all. So I set out to get my first saltwater fish - a pair of bullethole clownfish. And I gotta say - I am in LOVE! They are so cute! Truly a rush of dopamine. My cat, Osiris, was also very interested.

IMG_2272.jpg IMG_2274.jpg
Note: I use an app on my iPhone called Aquarium Log to keep track of parameters and any changes I make to the tank. I'm using an API Master Test Kit so it's not as accurate...but still, I can add a graph here of what the numbers looked like over time if anyone is interested in seeing that? Perhaps I will later.

April 29 - The Ugly Phase Begins​

After getting the clowns, I turned the lights on. On April 29, I started to see the first signs of brown diatoms. Sometimes at night, I could hear the fish splashing around, so I did some research and built a mesh lid. I got the Neat Aquatics rimless screentop frame corners and a feeding portal off BRS, some clear screen off Amazon, a everything else at Home Depot. How do you like my handiwork?

IMG_2386.jpg IMG_2469.jpg

May 3 - Diatoms!​

Took this picture with the light off because it was easier to see. Looking pretty yucky now. I'm guessing it's all diatoms. I remember looking at diatom fossils in my paleontology class...they have neat little skeletons. Fun fact: most of the Earth's atmospheric oxygen comes from these guys. Ahem, anyway.

IMG_2443.jpg

May 9 - Cleared Up​

And they're gone! That was faster than I thought it would be. What's next? Cyanobacteria? Or does this conclude the "ugly phase"? Guess I'll wait and see!

Clownfish are still doing great. I feed them mysis shrimp and occasionally flakes when I'm feeling lazy. The larger one bullies the smaller one at meal time and tries to keep him away from the food, so now I have to feed on two sides of the tank.

I've also noticed a thin colorless "film" on top of the water. Kinda slimy if you touch it. I'm guessing this is protein. Looks like protein from freshwater. I've just skimmed the water myself with a small measuring cup then replaced the lost saltwater. Bit of an impromptu water change, I guess. It works for now. The tank has an overflow in the back (left side), but I guess it's not working that well. Maybe I need to adjust something and/or maybe a skimmer would help...and a powerhead would help break the surface tension. Definitely about time I get a powerhead to prepare for corals.

IMG_2468.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
OP
OP
1 Salty Nerd

1 Salty Nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update! - First Coral​

I was at Aquashella Dallas this weekend and got some coral to add to the tank. Got 4 zoanthids and 1 rhodactis mushroom. All added on Saturday, May 20th. I dipped them all in coralRx then rinsed in tank water and glued them in. I neglected to drip acclimate them...or acclimate at all, really. Oops.

Two days later, one of the zoas hasn't opened yet and a couple of them are mostly open, but not fully opened yet. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all at 0 ppm. Salinity is 0.025. Temperature is right at 80.3F according to my digital kitchen thermometer (the glass one in there appears to not be accurate and is reading 76F). The pH is at a stable 7.8. Haven't tested calcium or phosphates as I haven't purchased a kit yet.

Money happens to be my limiting factor here. Going to order a cheap powerhead for now and see how that goes - the Hydor Koralia Nano 240 gph. When I have more money, I'd like to get the Nero 3, but alas. But I'm thinking the coral need more flow? I'm worried about the one zoa that hasn't opened but maybe it'll be fine. It's a beautiful yellow color.

Anyway, here's the pictures!
PS. I also ordered a cool lens for my iPhone to take photos! You can see a feather duster worm in one of them too.

IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2577 - Copy.jpg
IMG_2576.jpg
IMG_2612.jpg
IMG_2613.jpg
IMG_2581.jpg

OP
OP
1 Salty Nerd

1 Salty Nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I forgot to mention...gosh, this was a week or so ago. I found a solution for the protein film that I had on top of the water. I had too much filter media in the first chamber. I took that out, put the heater in the first chamber and put filter floss, activated carbon, and a small fine sponge in the second chamber. Basically swapped those two chambers. Now the overflow works properly and I don't have any yucky film on the water!

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start. The zoas might not be opening because of an aptasia. I believe I see it on the second picture (side view) there might be more on other plugs.

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like to have a goby and pistol shrimp pair, and probably a snail or two. I think that might be about all that can go in there.
I also have a nano tank (15 gal) and I love goby and shrimp combos! I would also recommend looking into something that would eat aiptasia, like a peppermint shrimp

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update! - First Coral​

I was at Aquashella Dallas this weekend and got some coral to add to the tank. Got 4 zoanthids and 1 rhodactis mushroom. All added on Saturday, May 20th. I dipped them all in coralRx then rinsed in tank water and glued them in. I neglected to drip acclimate them...or acclimate at all, really. Oops.

Two days later, one of the zoas hasn't opened yet and a couple of them are mostly open, but not fully opened yet. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all at 0 ppm. Salinity is 0.025. Temperature is right at 80.3F according to my digital kitchen thermometer (the glass one in there appears to not be accurate and is reading 76F). The pH is at a stable 7.8. Haven't tested calcium or phosphates as I haven't purchased a kit yet.

Money happens to be my limiting factor here. Going to order a cheap powerhead for now and see how that goes - the Hydor Koralia Nano 240 gph. When I have more money, I'd like to get the Nero 3, but alas. But I'm thinking the coral need more flow? I'm worried about the one zoa that hasn't opened but maybe it'll be fine. It's a beautiful yellow color.

Anyway, here's the pictures!
PS. I also ordered a cool lens for my iPhone to take photos! You can see a feather duster worm in one of them too.

IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2577 - Copy.jpg
IMG_2576.jpg
IMG_2612.jpg
IMG_2613.jpg
IMG_2581.jpg
Great looking corals!

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry about not acclimating, it’s really not important for corals. Go watch a YouTube of someone like FragboxTV unboxing. They pull a bag of cold corals from the shipping box, cut it open and drop corals in their tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back