My First Reef Tank! 75 gal Build

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those are right, lol. Again the colors are very hard to determine. Digital checker will be ordered next week!!

Sorry I just saw your post. Do you have any lights running at night? Possibly a fuge light? Or do you dose alkalinity at night by any chance? Or even kalkwasser? Without any of those I am baffled that your pH would go up at night.

Regardless, 7.6-7.8 is not a terrible range. A little higher of a range won't hurt though. Many ways you can accomplish that (kalk, fresh air, CO2 scrubber etc.) It all comes down to how things look in the tank, rather than chasing specific numbers. If things looks good, I'd leave it be.

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to share my new tank inhabitants!! I bought a frogspawn yesterday and then we had an ETRC meeting today and I now have a few new corals thanks to some awesome members!
My first frogspawn.jpg

New coral.jpg

No idea!.jpg
Monti digitala.jpg
monti cap.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've come a long way since my last visit! The tank looks great and congrats on the corals!
Thank you! I just pray that I can keep it looking good, lol. I'm dreading coming home one day and finding something disastrous going on. Especially in these first months where I still don't know hardly anything about keeping things stable.;Nailbiting

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this blueberry gorgonian Thursday but I will have to wait until I know more before attempting to keep them!! But it's gorgeous and I would love to have one.
Blueberry gorgonia that I want !!.jpg
Were the polyps white, or brown? If they are white, it is most likely non-photosynthetic - filter feeder. Very difficult to keep alive long term. Brown polyps and it is most likely photosynthetic and much easier to keep.

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the polyps white, or brown? If they are white, it is most likely non-photosynthetic - filter feeder. Very difficult to keep alive long term. Brown polyps and it is most likely photosynthetic and much easier to keep.
I don't remember, I'll have to go back to the store and look more closely. The "tree" part of the colony was brown and the "blueberries" were a whiteish blue under regular light. It was beautiful! And the staff at the LFS told me it was definitely not for beginners so I'm just dreaming for now, lol.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember, I'll have to go back to the store and look more closely. The "tree" part of the colony was brown and the "blueberries" were a whiteish blue under regular light. It was beautiful! And the staff at the LFS told me it was definitely not for beginners so I'm just dreaming for now, lol.
Probably best to enjoy looking at that one at the LFS.

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I discovered that my tank is humongous-cat proof today. I was spot feeding the corals and concentrating on avoiding clown bites when suddenly my daughter's very large cat lept up, clinging with both front paws to the top edge of the tank, lower legs scrabbling to get hold on the glass, frantically trying to get his large butt up and nose into the tank.

It was a big fail on his part, lol. I had to rescue him from sudden death. For some reason he wasn't grateful. But the tank didn't turn over and the rim around the top didn't break or anything.
I may have yelled a little when it startled me.

Wish I had a video...;Cat;Woot;Joyful

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the extreme pleasure of visiting not one but two great reef enthusiasts And their stores in the past two days!

@JKS Aquatics
First I went to JKS Aquatics on S Peters and had an excellent experience. They were very, very helpful, knowledgeable and I came away with some beautiful corals, a watchman goby and his little shrimp buddy. Unfortunately, I don't have pics of them because they both disappeared under a rock as soon as I put them in the tank, lol. I had a small problem when I discovered the scraper I bought there was broken so I called back. They were very gracious with the return and exchanged a similar product with no hassle ( they didn't have any more of the original)!

@parroki
Then I got to visit Kinny and his family at Parrott Aquatics off of Cedar Bluff. Omgosh! What beautiful tanks, livestock, and corals! His wife has a seahorse tank in her kitchen and in the main area they have beautiful blue-spotted sting rays, "walking" sharks, and a huge, beautiful red crab, among many other nice specimens. I brought home some very nice corals and equipment at a great price! Pics below [emoji6]
97f92d9072411f1893d394ee5005bf4e.jpg

Green Paly

8ae8b5f4e1cd195f2ade3fb58b6a1ed7.jpg

Red Mushrooms

6ec05d35a604f37bc1500d9cb9a9d524.jpg

Kenya Trees

7c4f774a531d007196979eac8a125e90.jpg

Kinny's Beautiful, huge red crab! His shell was as big around as a dinner plate!

1a519a697632df939a9c4f57187f82d3.jpg

The stingray and shark tank at Parrott Aquatics! I got to watch Kinny's wife feed them. It was awesome!!

9bbe23b9dce7925b4ff2c27e03b88b55.jpg

Sea Serpent from JKS Aquatics!

326b6ae1f17c6f4b733a3b78f88e68a5.jpg

This will be a Duncan once it opens up, lol!

bfdee5ffb5be50f174af634a04f6318a.jpg

My first GSP. Hopefully, I've isolated it far enough from other structures that it won't take over the tank! I know they are "weeds" but I love how they look ;)

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you happen to want/ need any pods? My order from algae barn came today and I don't need all of this. I know we live close.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have more than enough to share!

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coming along nicely and glad to see it. Im here local as well if I can ever be of help and you ever need anything. keep moving forward and doing well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back