My first "SaltyBae" reef build!

Sneakysnail

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2023
Messages
3
Reaction score
23
Location
Haverhill
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers!

I thought I would share some info on my new reef tank. I have been keeping freshwater fish for over two years (55gal So. American planted high-tech, 9gal planted inhabited by tetras, 5 gal planted neo shrimp tank). I started my first marine aquarium ~3 months ago. I can say without hesitation that I am madly in love with it! Almost makes me think why didn't I jump into saltwater sooner/first! I guess we all have to start somewhere. I am dreaming of the day I setup a 120+ gal reef!

Here is a breakdown of my reef tank so far:

-40gal breeder
-25-30lb live rock
-Fluval 307 (I know, I know...it's not a sump)
-Hydor Nano Skimmer
-Hydor In-line 300W heater
-Red Sea ReefATO+
-Red Sea ReefWave 25
-Aquaillumination Prime 16HD reef (2x)
-Hang-on-back AquaClear 30 refugium with Chaeto)
-Eheim pump for auto water changes

I am going for a LPS/softies dominated reef, with a couple of SPS to try.
CUC: 3 hermit crabs, 2 conch, 3 turbo snails, 5 margarite snails, 4 nessarius snails.
Fish: 1 Hoeven's Wrasse, 1 orange-spotted blenny, 1 yellow watchman goby, 2 clowns, 4 Green Chromis
Inverts: Porcelain crab, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp
Nems: Bubble tip anemone, rock anemone

Water parameters:
pH: 8.2
Alk: 8.7
Salinity: 1.026
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1350
Phosphate: 0.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15-25


Reef On!
 
Following along!
 
Awesome and I second the picture request!

I started my first reef tank about a month and a half ago after getting my start on the freshwater planted side as well. I've got a 75g high-tech and a 20g long low-tech with neo shrimp. There has been a lot of new stuff and concepts to learn but I'm really thankful for my freshwater experience just for being familiar with basic aquarium upkeep and maintenance; it's really eased the transition.

Good luck with your tank, I look forward to following along.
 
The mandatory picture that isn’t mandatory is required at this time. Your parameters are perfect.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new