My First Reef Tank From Start To Now

Fishy Art

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched for several months before embarking on building my reef tank. Although I maintained a freshwater tank for years, maintaining a reef tank is proving to be a lot more challenging. That said, I love it.

Although my tank is only seven months old now, I have come to realize my mistakes and what I would now do differently inspite of all the research I did.

My lessons learned:
1. This is an expensive hobby. The initial investment in equipment is a lot regardless of what size tank you start with and the ongoing supplies add up. So be sure you can afford it before you jump in.
2. It is true; start with the biggest tank you have space for and what you can afford.
3. I have HOB equipment because a sump seemed complicated; I would go with a sump now.
4. Alternative to go with an "All In One" instead of doing your own. I could not afford the Red Sea AIO and thought I could replicate it for less with HOB. In the end I did not save that much after piecing all the components together.
5. Think about what livestock you want; fish only or fish and coral. Initially I thought I wanted only fish then realized that the tank did not look right and felt like it was missing something. Corals are what peaked my interest to begin in the first place so I began adding corals.
6. Have patience and take it slow... I overstocked with fish too soon and ended up donating some to my LFS; money wasted.
7. Do not over feed fish. This has caused me to get a serious issues with cyano bacteria, diatoms and strong fishy odor.
Too late to change the tank and equipment now but I have taken steps to fix the bacteria and diatoms issues. It is a slow process but it is working with regular water changes, snails and syphoning. I am not one to use chemicals if it can be avoided.
The photos show the progression of the build.

I recently began adding corals; Softies and LPS. My rock scape has undergone several transitions since the beginning.

65 gallon Aquarium Masters rimless Edge tank, AquaMaxx protein skimmer, Seachem 75 filter, CPR refugium, BRS titanium heaters (2), MP 40 powerhead, Maxspect Razor Edge 200 watt LED fixture, BRS 5 stage RODI.

fullsizeoutput_35b9.jpeg IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3220.JPG fullsizeoutput_3670.jpeg fullsizeoutput_368e.jpeg IMG_1173.JPG fullsizeoutput_397f.jpeg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back