My first reef tank! Pics and questions

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I came across the opportunity this past summer to get my hands on an established 30gal reef tank. I got this tank from a trusted friend who actually owns his own aquarium company so I know that the tank comes from a good home and comes with top quality equipment. I found this site a few months prior to getting the tank so I spent about 2-3 months just reading all sorts of posts on here not even knowing where to begin to start in order to learn how to keep a tank. In mid August 2019 I got the tank transferred to my house and my buddy set it all up. He has been a great help and while I know I could text him everyday with questions and to discuss things I find myself spending an hour or two a day on this site just reading posts and everyone's comments in order to teach myself. Lately I find that any question I have I'll just type it into google along with the phrase "reef2reef" so the search results will bring me here.

I'd like to share my journey with this new tank and post my pictures and questions. This is my first time every posting (blogging?) so go easy on me and any advice would be welcome. Here it goes!

Here is a current picture of my 30 gallon setup

IMG_1820.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.48.53 PM.png

And here is what came with the tank

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.48.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.48.40 PM.png

I have since added 2 hammer corals. The first was smaller one that did great then shriveled and died after 3weeks. I then got another hammer that is doing great. I also got a Xenia that is also doing very well. Fish wise I added a yellow tang and feel as though I'm currently maxed on fish. I'm content with what I have and it looks great!

Below is my lighting schedule. I have it start to ramp up at 1pm then on from 2-9pm with ramp down from 9pm-10pm. The second picture is what the intensities are set to between 2 and 9pm.
IMG_1827-1.jpeg
IMG_1826-1.jpeg

My typical Apex readings. I took that screenshot at 11am. From what I've learned on here there are normal fluctuations in the levels depending on the time of day. This picture is 2 hours before the lights turn on.

IMG_1816.jpeg

Water parameters, tested at LFS (local fish store? once again I'm new to all of this and I gather that is what LFS stands for lol).

Salt 1.024
pH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 360
Alk (dKH) 9
Magnesium 1140

I started 15mL Kents Tech M Magnesium twice a day for 12 days per the LFS and then will have my water re-tested in hopes of raising my Magnesium. I do have a dosing system and Aquaforest components 1,2,3 but have not yet begun to use them. Waiting on some 1:1 instruction how to set all this up.

From my months of following this site I've learned that when people post their tanks or post questions they don't supply all the information needed by you guys the experts so I want to attempt to post everything anyone would want to know if they would be so inclined to help answer any questions I may have. Some other important information about my tank:

I have it out of direct sunlight
I complete a weekly 1-1.5gallon water change 1x/wk and usually another half gallon 1-2x during the week
I feed the fish once a day 1-2 small pinches of Reef Nutrition TDO Chromo boost
Hang about a dollar size worth of green seaweed of a clip that is consumed in about 1.5-2 days. Usually hang this 2x/wk
I just started with reef roids and mycin shrimp 2x/wk
I cleaned protein skimmer cup 3-4x/wk
RODI water in ATO
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
I keep a small journal of weekly levels, maintenance, costs, and just my general observations to keep track of my tank's history

I do have some questions about reefing and my tank in general but honestly wanted to just make my first post about my tank and to share it with you guys. Also wanted to make sure I was able to format and get it posted correctly. Let me know what you think, would appreciate any feedback. I hope I can get around to posting some questions about my tank in the next few days. Happy reefing to all!

IMG_1820.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. Once you get mag and calcium up, I would look at getting a reading of nitrate and phosphates as you really dont want them at 0 you could do with some, as that helps keep corals alive/ more colourful and healthier looking. Dont be afraid to feed your tank. I am having to dose phosphates daily to try and get a reading as I lost sps, and colour out of my lps due to only feeding little amounts.
I even threw my skimmer away and stopped doing frequent water changes.
I would suggest you dont need to do water changes for now and get your levels where they need to be, as you are only diluting the levels you have. Also get yourself some test kits so you can get to know your tank better and know when you need to do a water change, and not just do 1 because you have done 1 a week ago.

Teri NewbieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You have a really nice set up. Love the AI lights... They will grow anything that you want them to grow. Good luck, and let us know if you need any help! There's a large group of very knowledgeable people ready to help out art a moment's notice!

OP
OP
JonChicago

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. Once you get mag and calcium up, I would look at getting a reading of nitrate and phosphates as you really dont want them at 0 you could do with some, as that helps keep corals alive/ more colourful and healthier looking. Dont be afraid to feed your tank. I am having to dose phosphates daily to try and get a reading as I lost sps, and colour out of my lps due to only feeding little amounts.
I even threw my skimmer away and stopped doing frequent water changes.
I would suggest you dont need to do water changes for now and get your levels where they need to be, as you are only diluting the levels you have. Also get yourself some test kits so you can get to know your tank better and know when you need to do a water change, and not just do 1 because you have done 1 a week ago.

Thanks for the reply. I had some test kits but didn't trust my results as I had to watch youtube to figure out what to do. I did get the same results the LFS did so that was a good start

OP
OP
JonChicago

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You have a really nice set up. Love the AI lights... They will grow anything that you want them to grow. Good luck, and let us know if you need any help! There's a large group of very knowledgeable people ready to help out art a moment's notice!
Thanks so much! I've been impressed how helpful everyone seems on here and wanted to join to learn as much as I can.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sweet deal!
Great detail, good plan.

Given what you have invested, I'd def spend the bucks on a full suite of test kits you like. LFS testing is a great backup, but it's your hands on the wheel. Also agree with getting some nitrate and phosphate, but that's probably not urgent.

You have a lot of sources of information btwn R2R, the guy who sold you the tank, the LFS, youtube, etc... Try to keep it simple and stay as consistent as you can.

Beautiful tank. You fast forwarded near a year on your reefing journey with those sweet rocks!

OP
OP
JonChicago

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sweet deal!
Great detail, good plan.

Given what you have invested, I'd def spend the bucks on a full suite of test kits you like. LFS testing is a great backup, but it's your hands on the wheel. Also agree with getting some nitrate and phosphate, but that's probably not urgent.

You have a lot of sources of information btwn R2R, the guy who sold you the tank, the LFS, youtube, etc... Try to keep it simple and stay as consistent as you can.

Beautiful tank. You fast forwarded near a year on your reefing journey with those sweet rocks!

Thanks for for your input. I agree I want to buy a new set of test kits. Outta the 4 or 5 I had I know one was expired.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS just did a series of videos on test kits.
IMHO, they were very objective and didn't push the priciest options. Just watching the series fixed issues I was having with how I was performing a couple of my tests.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Nice looking tank...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back