My 110gal tall tank

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, Im opening this thread to log all the journey with this new project.
After 10 years out of hobbie I decided that it was time to get my hands wet again. I started to llok locally for a used tank in order to start easy on the wallet. I found with an old friend a new custom made aquarium. A customer of him ordered and cancel the order once built, s he was trying to get back his investment and offer me a good deal. Here it is place in the right middle of home:

IMG_0891.JPG

Tank is 60" long, 28" deep (From top to bottom) and 16" wide (fron to back). Yes, I would prefer to be 24" wide but... thats what it is.
No sump for this one. On right side you could see a black box. Thats an intank overflow filter box. Some filter flos, carbon and return pump will make the trick. I have algo enough space for heater (If ever needed) and some HOB things like an skimmer or fuge, not sure yet.

5 bags of caribsea fiji pink, 40lb of live rock, 40 lb of dry rock, and lots of good vibes for the initial setup.

As this is a budget setup, return pump will be a Rio 8HF, in near future Im planning to upgrade it with a DC pump and keep that Rio to help during water changes, or for a future chiller.

Lighting will be a complex theme.
I want a reef tank, but dont have money to fancy lighting so, my plan is to buy something modular like Kessil or Ai. After cycling I can afford one module just to have some light and start adding fish to display. And after some time would be adding more modules to complete lighting.
For example with Ai maybe a Prime HD at center to start and in future add another prime module and finally a hydra module. HYdra would me placed at center, where I plan to locate more demanding corals, and primes at sides, with less demanding corals.

Some dry rock shots before brake them into smaller pieces:

c4134d11-0d40-4065-8006-ac77c63878a8.jpg

Will keep posting soon.... this weekend Im planning to complete all setup and beguin cycling. Raw shrimp.

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been a long weekend, fortunately!
If you want to know about my aptasia fight please see this:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/water-infested.664034/

So, after cleaning all and kill my live rock I started to take some shots on possible aquascapes

8580A2DE-F010-44BF-AD3A-028EE07589DE.jpeg

and finally goes like this:

64FC4AA1-4914-46F8-89BF-C1F86E4D61AB.jpeg

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After filling all water in and run the filter for first time I noticed a very low flow.
Pump is a Rio 8hf for aprox 550gpm. I was pumping water from containers up to display tank with no problems, but running it in the filter was very poor in flow.
:rolleyes:
I added a piece of piping to run into opposite side the return flow, to create a flow from side to side, return to filter overflow. BUT I used a 1/2” piping and that was a huge restriction to flow!! Pump outlet is 3/4”
So... setting up adventure has not finished. I will have to re do piping now in 3/4”.
Mean while a 3/4” hose will help to start filtering and test everything else.
Water is still too cloudy....
6AFCC657-AB49-4E51-8770-F39ABA0E012D.jpeg

and rock too low. I need to look for taller structures.
What do you think?

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holiday here in Mexico, so obviously reef time!! :cool:
Water is now much clear, I would say at 90% clear.
I was working on some rock glueing to change a little the view. Here are some nice structures.
E9CFCD70-3FFB-4CC4-8B66-B878FC587D88.jpeg

I know they are not big deal, but my first time besides just putting rock over rock.
Here final view... what do you think?
5BA803B9-F8F2-4417-9A85-C13B31D43654.jpeg

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not planning to star cycling until rockscape is at 100%.
From the tank Im helping my friend to set up, Im sure he ordered too much rock so maybe some will end in my tank ;)

Until then, I will get water flow fixed and water level fine tuned.
As this tank is new and filter is DIY a lot of things came up.
For example, There was a lot of water noise from a cascade at pump compartment and a lot of bubbles also. I adjusted water level and noise is almost gone and air bubbles disapear.

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 110 gallon tall tank too. I have to dive into the tank to get something. Wish i was taller
That has been a hole new challenge! Its very difficult to work at that height. I need a ladder to work in it.
Today I drop a small rock and it went to the bottom and its still there, I cant reach it yet. LOL

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update with christmas decoration

CF04BCC5-352C-4FC2-8E2D-E7E597FB0249.jpeg

Everything looks good and according to plans.
I should receive next week a box with Caribsea live rock and will try to cover the filter box with a tall structure there.
During December Im planning to setup a QT tank in order to get my first two fishes in January.
I guess two clowns will be first inhabitants.

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like heater helped to grow some more bacteria and cycle is almost done. Yesterday I made a test and things are at this point:

Amonia 0
Nitrites 1ppm
Nitrates 20ppm

Water is crystal clear and cycling shrimp is still there.

This is the time when I want to see something floating, swimming or some life but there is nothing... just water, rocks and sand.
Fortunately all aptasia was erased from live rock I used, as well as all living form. More rock is coming this week so I plan to complete aquascape soon.
Lighting is also on the way. I bought a Chinese black box on discount these days. I think it will be enough for first months with only fish and will see in future if just complement it or change with something better and use that black box for any future project.

I've been watching that filter box and there are some mods that I want to do. Return pipe is now a hose (you can see it in pics), that needs to be changed for something permanent and more easy to handle. And also don't like overflow as is. I mean, filter works fine and has plenty of room for many things (even a fuge for chaeto), but needs some improvements.

ATO is a must! I've been adding manually almost 1/2 gal of RO water daily. I have a JBJ Ato unit from my former tank, will be looking to set it up soon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back