My First Reef Tank

AndynotDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! This is my 2nd go at my first reef tank. Working with a 50gal corner tank. It was a gift from a friend that was running it as freshwater with a hang on filter. I had two other freshwater tanks and decided it’s time to finally try saltwater.

I didn’t have the nerve to drill the out of fear that I’d mess up, so I ran a diy siphon overflow to a sump tank. Things were going well, until they weren’t. Went through algae outbreaks, and made all the newbie mistakes. Then it up being like clockwork that I would lose siphon every two months. I’d then empty the tank to access all the plumbing just to be sure it was still just a siphon issue. I should’ve fixed the problem with an air pump, but I didn’t want to run one more piece of gear. Did I mention I’m reefin on a budget? Lol.

After a while I lost my motivation and the tank sat there with only power heads keeping the water moving. Cut the lights off to let the algae die, and didnt turn them back on. Eventually any coral in there died, and I lost the couple fish I had (horrible person, I know). There it sat being a representation of my failure for a few months.

Finally, I decided it’s time to regroup, and revamp this system. To my surprise I still had a couple snails and a few hermit crabs in there! Made a diy above tank sump, redid the scape (a couple times), and let it run. 6 months later and here we are! Stocked with some fish, inverts, rbta, and I’m officially addicted to corals!

This has been a 2+ year process. I’m still a newbie learning more everyday and enjoying it. Here are some pictures showing my 2nd go at this. Appreciate any and all feedback, or pointers, and look forward to learning more through this forum.

IMG_0697.jpeg IMG_1806.jpeg IMG_1809.jpeg IMG_1871.jpeg IMG_1881.jpeg IMG_1932.jpeg IMG_1976.jpeg IMG_2121.jpeg

OP
OP
AndynotDrew

AndynotDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the coral addiction is in full effect lol. I’ve moved around and added a bunch.

Here’s the current stock list and updated pic.

Fish
Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
Caramel Clown
Snow Storm Clown
Striped Damsel
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow watchman Goby

Inverts
Pistol Shrimp
Nassarius Snails
Hermit Crabs
Sand Sifting Starfish
Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone

Corals
Neon Green Leather Toadstool
Umbrella Leather
Green Nephthea
Green Star Polyps
Orange Montipora Setosa
Yellow/Green Acan
Red Montipora Cap
Electric Daisy Stylocoeniella
Mystic Sunset Montipora
Rasta Zoanthids
Blue Tortosa (Cali Tort)
Sd Rainbow Millipora (fury acropora)
Ponape Birds of Paradise (seriatopora)
Battle Corals Miss Scarlet (acropora)
Yuma Mushroom
Jawbreaker Mushroom
Blue Hammer
Rose Hammer
Ultra Green Hammer
Montipora Digitata
Green Finger Leather
Duncans
Purple/Orange Acans
Pink Chalice
Cloves

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 38

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back