My First Reef Tank!

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first reef tank today, I am a total newbie. I have been doing tons of research over the past few weeks, and it has finally all come together. All comments and critisms are welcome and encouraged. I would love to hear from you all.

Fluval Evo 13.5
Carrib Sea Life Rock
Carrib Sea Arag-alive Reef Sand
Stock Pump
Stock Light
MingDak Submersible 8w Royal Blue 460nm / White 7000-7500k LED
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Wavemaker
Accel Aquatics Wide Vortex Flow Accelerator (Instead of the dual duckbills that come with the tank)
Cobalt Aquatics Flat 100w Heater
Cheap airpump with stone (Will run if needed)
inTank Chamber 1 and chamber 2 filter media baskets
Currently the only things in the filtration system are 2 bags of Biohome Ultimate marine media and the 1 bag of ceramic media that came with the tank. I have carbon, filter floss, and chemi pure blue that I am waiting to add until the cycle is complete. I am still unsure when exactly I will add the chemi pure blue, it might just be as needed.

Here are a couple pictures, keep in mind I literally just filled it up a few hours ago. I need to do some more cable management as well. I will also include a screen shot of my 1st test results taken after dosing Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride.

Aquarium Day 1.jpg Aquarium Under Tank.jpg Aquarium First Test.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I love those evos! Looks like your off to a great start. I would probably eliminate the carbon until needed.
Hey there! Nice set up! I’m a first time reefer too. Be careful with chemi-pure blue it sucks all nitrates and phosphates out of the water super fast! Happy reefing!
" I have carbon, filter floss, and chemi pure blue that I am waiting to add until the cycle is complete."
Still havent added them, I am not 100% sure when I will. The only stuff in the filter right now is Bio Media.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" I have carbon, filter floss, and chemi pure blue that I am waiting to add until the cycle is complete."
Still havent added them, I am not 100% sure when I will. The only stuff in the filter right now is Bio Media.
Okay cool good idea! Looks like your on track!

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better picture now that it isn’t cloudy. I turned on the lights just to take the picture, I have been leaving them off to prevent algae.

737384F2-D27E-4528-AFEA-79AF2B432CC2.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,looking good,nice set up!!! :cool:

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I added a Fiji Cube Medium Hang-on Refugium. I painted the sides of the refugium black and modified the lid of the Evo. The lid looks fine as long as you don’t look at it too close. Eventually I’ll probably get a custom ClearView lid.

I am currently redoing the cable management for the entire system. and I have a quarantine tank in the works. I’ll post more pictures when that is complete.

D81BB11C-A4EA-4F62-88A4-F125B1192FAE.jpeg
0B8B2156-6472-4716-8080-4ED72CEB7657.jpeg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I had that tank a few months ago, and it's a very solid tank! I would just advise you go very slow with stocking, and just set yourself up to deal with some "uglies" for the first several months (cyano, hair algae, etc.). Don't even try to treat them, they will go away once your tank ages. But if you're in the market for the protein skimmer that goes in chamber 1, let me know, and I will send to you :) it's pretty finicky, and you'll have to dump the cup every 2 to 3 days, and you can absolutely get away without a protein skimmer, just need to stay up on your bi-weekly 20% water changes, but if you really want one, it's yours!

pharris13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at the fiji cube fuge for my evo. Can I ask why you didn't hang it on the filtration side of the tank?

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at the fiji cube fuge for my evo. Can I ask why you didn't hang it on the filtration side of the tank?
A few reasons. First I have inTank filter media baskets in both chamber 1&2. These would block the intake. Also I upgraded the pump for the Evo and the water level is pretty low back there. Idk how big of a deal it is but I didn’t really want copepods leaving the fuge through the waterfall just to get blended up in the main pump before getting to the tank.

I think the best option to mount it would be on the back (longside) of the tank. The reason I didn’t do that is I don’t have enough space between the tank and the wall, and the Stan is secured to the wall. If I ever get a bigger stand I’ll move it to the back.

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is coming along nicely. There’s some bubble and hair algae but I don’t really mind. It helps keep my animals fed. I had some issues with low PH, Alk, and CA that I have corrected. I am hoping the lepto will start growing faster now. I am also now running a fuge in the bottom of chamber 1.
C6275843-7F55-4CCB-9E63-CAE5D0B2D53D.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • None.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back