OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been about a week and a half since I have added my first two blue green chromis to the qt tank and they have been doing well. A little bit of trial and error on what foods they are willing to accept, my local place feeds their fish spectrum pellets which I had some of these at home. When offered the fish did not show much interest in these or the formula 2 pellets that I have. I did however earlier in the week pick up some raw shrimp and scallops from the grocery store. After deciding that trying to cut up each piece of shrimp to a size that would fit into their mouth was going to be a bit of a pain I decided to place the shrimp into my blender. Bit of trial and error but now have something that seems to work. When I place the shrimp in they all go crazy over it, and have finally started to relate my presence of being around their tank as the promise of food to be coming shortly.

Last Friday I had picked up one more green blue chromis to add to the other two that I had picked up the week previous. I had set up a drip acclimation for the fish and added him to the tank. When first added the fish seemed fine was swimming around the tank with the other two and not hiding. No aggression was noted among any of the fish. Saturday before I was getting ready to leave for work I saw the orginial two swimming around the tank but was not seeing the third. I found him laying on his side under one of the pieces of pvc that was put in the tank for hidey spots. When I got home he was dead. All the parameters where spot on no detectable ammonia or nitrites and the ammonia alert badge haning on the tank was not picking anything up either. I called the store the next day and talked to the manager about what had happened. I was informed that they had no guarentee on their saltwater fish and even though I took the correct steps and it was probably the fish they would do nothing. A bit disappointing considering that locally they are the only place that carries saltwater fish and the next nearest places are about 40 miles away. I decided to give them one more chance and picked up another blue green chromis yesterday.

This time I shortened my acclimation process, made sure to find out what the specific gravity of their water in their system. Which I found to be where I am keeping mine at 1.025. Added the new fish in and again was swimming around with the others. Today 24 hours later and things are looking good. Everyone is swimming around happily and eating well. Hopefully things keep going well this time around. Later this week will give the scallops a try and see how well those are recieved.

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking build! Sorry to hear about the dead chromi. Have you ever considered ordering fish online? You have a lot more options and there are a couple extremely reputable vendors out there.

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking build! Sorry to hear about the dead chromi. Have you ever considered ordering fish online? You have a lot more options and there are a couple extremely reputable vendors out there.

Thank you Billy

Yes I have thought about ordering fish online, and some of them I am thinking about doing so. Definitly will be ordering my corals online once I have the lighting to support. I did end up getting another chromis from the same place and this one has been doing well swimming around with the other two.

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is about time to do an update to this thread. About middle of the month my cycle finally finished and I ordered my cuc from reefcleaners. I ordered an assortment of snails and ended up finding two hermit crabs that decided to come along for the ride with my ceriths. I added my chromis over to the display tank and they have been enjoying having the extra swimming room. I also had a diatom bloom that has finally cleared up.

About a week ago I added my second set of fish a pair of Clarkii Clowns who have been doing well and started not being so skittish when I go up to the tank. So far none of my fish are interested in eating pellet food, although they do go crazy over the homemade fish food that I made for them. I am planning on adding another fish or two around the middle of June, will need to decide what I am going to go with next.

I am in the process of working on making a screen top for my tank, right now I am at a stand still waiting for my dremel type tool to come in that I ordered last week. Once that comes in if the idea that I am going to try works I will do a diy thread on the project. Otherwise it will be back to the drawing board. Some of the equipment that I am planning on adding in the next few months is an ato. I have been researching different units and am thinking about either the ato from avast marine or the tunze. The price of the tunze to me is a little high, but I do like the fact that the pump is included and that from what I have seen is seems to have a slim profile. The price of the avast marine uint is nice although I would need to add a pump to it.

I am also still trying to decide what I want to do with my lighting, I keep bouncing back and forth between LED's and doing a t5 fixture. The LED's I find to be desirable for several reasons, not having to spend money on bulbs every year, the lower cost of running them and the fact that they don't give off much heat. So more research to be done and I have been keeping my eye on the different fixtures that have been coming out. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will have my lighting upgraded and will be able to start keeping corals.

The final piece of equipment that I am researching is looking for a hob refugium. One of the fish that I am wanting to keep is a Mandarian Dragonet, which means I need to get my pod population going along with having a place for my pods to be able to reproduce without being eaten first. Right now I have some chaeto that I am keeping in a breeders net hanging in the back of my tank. I wasn't sure if it was getting enough light from the t8 fixture so I am using a goose neck desk lamp with a cf bulb to provide additional light. I have also added in the last month about a 1000 pods to my system and plan on adding some more again soon to prepare my tank for a Mandarian.

Okay enough of my rambling for now here are a few pictures a current fts and a picture of one of my chromis and another of one of the clowns.

2012May28_1685edited.jpg

2012May28_1691edited.jpg

2012May28_1694edited.jpg

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barb, You are doing a great job. It's going to look really great once you have it running for a while and get to add some corals and more fish. Nice work.

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barb, You are doing a great job. It's going to look really great once you have it running for a while and get to add some corals and more fish. Nice work.

Thank you Greg, if all goes to plan I will be able to start adding my first corals by the end of the summer. Need to get the lighting upgraded first which I am thinking is going to be LED's. Had thought about T5's but I like the low energy and the low heat output of the LED's, along with not having to replace bulbs every year.

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you don't mind me sharing this YouTube video on your build thread but is was so inspiring for me I am now rethinking my aquarium. Maybe it will give you some ideas as well. This is just beautiful.
110g reef tank video - YouTube

I had a very costly and bad experience with my venture into LED lighting and it's going to take me a while to get over being gun shy. I was told they would last 50,000 hours so I sprang for LED tubes, 5 of them to the tune of $725.00. They lasted less than 18 months and when I complained the owner of the store always had some excuse why he couldn't meet with me and make it right. He owned the fish store. I'll stick with T5's or MH or something other than LEDs for now. Good luck with your tank and keep the photos coming.

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing the link Greg, definitly an inspiring and beautiful tank.

I can understand your hesitation about LED's after an experience like that, I have definitly been doing my research and will be doing more before I make my purchase, especially since it is going to be one of the larger investments that I will be making.

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they give you a good warranty. I'm sure that the technology has come a long way since I bought mine. I did like the fact that my LED lights resembled a standard T8 light tube and ran directly from 110/120 VAC. I may have to see if I can reverse engineer the electronics and rebuild them with known parts.

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump for this tank, the tank was not drilled and did not have a way for drilling. Along with that living in an apartment right now so want to try keeping the risks of having a leak occur minimal. Inside my cabinet is fairly empty right now, I do have a 5 gallon bucket for collection of skimmate from my skimmer. When I set up my ato I will probably place my top off container in there also. Will see about posting a picture up ;)

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, my 92 gallon bow front wasn't drilled either. When I got the tank I was advised to buy a CPR Overflow box. The problem was, the guy in the LFS told me incorrectly on the size I needed and the amount of tank turn over I should have. I did some searching for a DIY solution and came up with a combination of 2 people's DIY projects. They weren't meant to be combined but I had to be different and combine them. I'll start a thread about my solution and you'll be surprised at how well my DIY project turned out. I'll never worry about having a drilled tank again. I'll give you the thread and link when I get it written. How long is your tank?

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great Greg, thanks. My tank is 48 inches long. Here is a picture of inside the cabinet
2012Jun03_1704edited.jpg

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW you have lots of room under there. I have the room but access stinks! If I ever take the system down, I'll make it easier to get to things in mine. Oh, I found a neat electrical outlet bar at Lowe's or Home Depot. It has 10 outlets on a long strip.

cabinet-034.jpg

Here's my cabinet. Note the back is solid except for 3 holes about 3 inches in diameter.

light strip-035.jpg

Here you can sort of see the electrical outlet strip.

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, the electrical strip looks similar to some that my dad has installed on some of his work benches. Will have to check it out next time I am out by Home Depot and Lowes. Right now my power strip is working but as more equipment is added I will probably need to look into some additional options.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back