My first saltwater molly

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup i had a doubt that it will work but it worked. I took 4-5 hrs for whole process as my tank was running little low of salt. I only done this with a single molly as u can say for experiment. Now my next step would be to take it to eating. Yesterday it was struggling with flow but now it's ok from yesterday. Will it be ok if i feed it small saltwater pellets? Or should i feed it fw pellets? Also, is it normal f it is not hiding? Also staying at top of the tank most of the time(maybe due to flow)
Screenshot_20231225-120633_Video Player.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat any flake or pellet you choose. They’ll tend to prefer eating from the surface. It’s normal that they don’t hide - in fact I like this characteristic, it encourages the rest of the fish to be out and about. Mine basically lives under the auto feeder floating feeding ring. She also happily devours any frozen foods I provide to the tank.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat any flake or pellet you choose. They’ll tend to prefer eating from the surface. It’s normal that they don’t hide - in fact I like this characteristic, it encourages the rest of the fish to be out and about. Mine basically lives under the auto feeder floating feeding ring. She also happily devours any frozen foods I provide to the tank.
Ok thx was little worried as last time i failed with 2 mollies. This time i think i made it but as it's not eating, it's giving me a little pain. I may add 2 more but the problem is i don't know it's gender and i hv been told

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thx was little worried as last time i failed with 2 mollies. This time i think i made it but as it's not eating, it's giving me a little pain. I may add 2 more but the problem is i don't know it's gender and i hv been told
Poor pic but I see a female Virgin. If the LFS can’t sex out a male then get a new LFS.
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
The fin near the vent is rounded in the female while the male has a long thin tube like business end for transferring genes around instead of the fan.

When he is working the fin will aim forward

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor pic but I see a female Virgin. If the LFS can’t sex out a male then get a new LFS.
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
The fin near the vent is rounded in the female while the male has a long thin tube like business end for transferring genes around instead of the fan.

When he is working the fin will aim forward
Ohk thx so next time i had to bring a male and a female

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 2 more- one black and one orange but white one looks like more active. Black one is hoding a corner and orange one is staying close to white one and white one doesn't mind it

Last edited:

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 5 SW Mollies at one of my LFSs for 4 bucks a piece several months ago. Within a month or so, for some reason, 2 out of the 5 were killed by something else (or died and then chewed up by something else)
However, the remaining 3 are active and eating everything I feed, joining the feeding frenzy with tankmates 10x their size! I have 2 males and 1 female (based on their tail appearance)
One interesting thing about mine is I bought one black one and the other 4 were various colors. Now, the remaining 3 are all black.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 5 SW Mollies at one of my LFSs for 4 bucks a piece several months ago. Within a month or so, for some reason, 2 out of the 5 were killed by something else (or died and then chewed up by something else)
However, the remaining 3 are active and eating everything I feed, joining the feeding frenzy with tankmates 10x their size! I have 2 males and 1 female (based on their tail appearance)
One interesting thing about mine is I bought one black one and the other 4 were various colors. Now, the remaining 3 are all black.
I know i hv one female can't say about others, trying to get them in a vedio as black one is hiding on a corner and other two r following each other

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i got 2 males and 1 female :grinning-face-with-sweat:. Hopefully they would not fight as they r roaming around tank together

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back