My first saltwater tank 60 gallon RR cube

Nano345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided after many years of desiring to have a reef tank to finally dive in and get my feet wet.

4 grand later and I officially in.. lol

Decided to go with 60 gallon cube since it was going in the bedroom and it wouldnt take up much space.

I did upgrade light from metal halide to Hydra 26

Sump was also upgraded to a Trigger system Emerald cube with refugium.

I purchased an Reef Octopus Protein skimmer as well.

here some pics of the setup

20170330_161748.jpg

20170406_230124.jpg

20170330_162646.jpg

20170330_162632.jpg

20170330_162635.jpg

20170402_205318.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nano345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for two weeks and the tank itself has been established for at least 6 months. I got a great deal on it and felt it was better to buy a setup used since I would of end up paying even more money and play the waiting game

It has been running for 6 months without a protein skimmer and the tank has been doing great. I decided to add one since I stocked up the tank with coral. I just rather be safe.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for two weeks and the tank itself has been established for at least 6 months. I got a great deal on it and felt it was better to buy a setup used since I would of end up paying even more money and play the waiting game

It has been running for 6 months without a protein skimmer and the tank has been doing great. I decided to add one since I stocked up the tank with coral. I just rather be safe.

Great thinking!

OP
OP
N

Nano345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to buy a Reef Octopus Protein skimmer and a trigger system sump with ref. As I posted earlier.

Also purchase a few more frags.. I have to really control myself and very selective on what I buy as to not cause a problem with existing coral down the road.

I am going to look for another frog spawn with different color variation to place next to the other one, since they both have sweeper tentacles.

I have done water testing and everything seems to be going just fine.

My hydor powerhead crapped out and so I ended up buying a Jebao powerhead, I need to take back the control, it came broken off even though it was new. Not very well made imo, but it seems to get the job done compared to paying 380.00

Now my next buy I need to get is an auto top off so that I do not have to worry about water levels getting low, I noticed with new sump I am getting more water evaporation. I assume because it actually flows better then last sump.

20170406_230124.jpg

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More surface movement the more evaporation. Yeah the ato will certainly help that.

OP
OP
N

Nano345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far everything is doing great, lost few corals due to Urchin knocking them down, despite my effforts to glue it in place.

Also upgrade my powerhead to 2 Jebao powerheads, one aim at surface and one aimed at my top rock with my SPS coral.

Had lost a long plate coral, gonipora, 2 zoa frags, and one sps. Not sure why long plate tentacle died, only thing I can think of is perhaps a frag dropped on it causing it die. Zoas, I need to check my light and possibly readjust.

I have a hydra 26 with light set at 14k light setting ramping w apx 8 hours of light.

All in all I am very satisfied with the outcome of the tank and will update with pictures. Happy that I went w 60 g cube and not smaller like i originally wanted.

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which return pump and model power heads did you end up going with? I’m gonna be setting up a 60gal cube soon as well, and yours looks great!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back