My First Saltwater Tank - Waterbox Marine X 90.3 Build

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

After years of reading posts and six months of waiting on delivery delays, I finally started putting my first saltwater tank together. Starting slow as I don’t want to bigger it up right off the bat!
Set up the Marine X 90.3, got the stand levelled, and the rock and sand in.

9C1D1BE6-1983-473C-8561-DC81BADFA29C.jpeg

Next will be the two MP40s, the Vectra return pump and the 2 gen 5 XR Pros.

Hopefully will get some water in it by this weekend! Hope to learn some tips and tricks from all of you at Reef2Reef!

Thanks!

Aljaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking aquascape!

Is it AF rock? I'm in the process of upgrading to a tank of similar dimmensions to yours (90x60x50 cm), how much rock did you use?

OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking aquascape!

Is it AF rock? I'm in the process of upgrading to a tank of similar dimmensions to yours (90x60x50 cm), how much rock did you use?
Thanks, yeah I’m pretty happy with this rock. I used one 18 kg box. My only slight criticism with it is that I received more shelf pieces rather than base or arches. I’m not sure if it was just my box or if all of them come that way but it ended up working for me so I’m pretty pleased. It is surprisingly very light and easy to use, and quite reasonably priced.

OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progressing very slowly as I was out of town last weekend, but finally got the lights and wave makers installed!

Attachments

• 0408EBBC-8B09-4A57-9C65-9E4797EA06C4.jpeg
    0408EBBC-8B09-4A57-9C65-9E4797EA06C4.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! It's been almost a year since the last update. The reason for such a long delay and radio silence was because my wife was diagnosed with cancer and that had to be dealt with abruptly. Thus the progression of the tank went on the backburner. I'm glad to say, that after all the treatments and surgery, she's in remission and recovering well!

So I bought an RO/DI system and made some water. I'm using Fauna Marin Professional Sea Salt and I've filled the tank.

tank.jpeg

A picture of the current sump (minus the protein skimmer).

sump.JPG

Here's a look at my control board (apologies for the unsharp photos as my cell phone has been having issues focusing as of late).

controller board.jpeg

Equipment

Waterbox Marine X 90.3 (60 gallon display with 25 gallon sump)
Waterbox Marine Cabinet
Radion XR15 G5 Pro x 2
Vectra S2 Return Pump
VorTech MP40mQD Pump x 2
Helio 400W Titanium Heater
Ecotech Marine Battery Back-up
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT Protein Skimmer
Ecotech Marine Controller Board
Kasa Smart Plug Powerbar with WiFi x 2
10 gallon Pet Food Grade Container for ATO Top Off

Using a Spectrapure MaxCap 90 GPD-MF 5 stage RODI system with an Aqua Life Smart Buddie Booster Pump that brings the PSI in my home from 58 PSI to a range of 80-100 PSI.

I installed 3 rechargeable motion sensor LED lights to provide light in the sump area. I'm using the Mobius app to control everything.

I added 45 lbs of special grade sand and 40 lbs of Aqua Forrest Reef Rock. I'm going to start the cycle in the next couple of days with Polyp Lab Genesis Rock Booster Pack (bacteria and 2 plates), as well as some Ammonia.

To perform testing, I'm using a Milwaukee MA887 Digital Refractometer and a Salifert Test Kit.

What I need to do next is to get a QT together and up and running as well as look into a lid of some sort for the display tank. WaterBox sells one for my tank set up all ready to go, but it's a bit pricey. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for lids.

As always, all suggestions and comments welcome!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! It's been almost a year since the last update. The reason for such a long delay and radio silence was because my wife was diagnosed with cancer and that had to be dealt with abruptly. Thus the progression of the tank went on the backburner. I'm glad to say, that after all the treatments and surgery, she's in remission and recovering well!

So I bought an RO/DI system and made some water. I'm using Fauna Marin Professional Sea Salt and I've filled the tank.

tank.jpeg

sump.JPG

Here's a look at my control board (apologies for the unsharp photos as my cell phone has been having issues focusing as of late).

controller board.jpeg

Equipment

Waterbox Marine Cabinet
Radion XR15 G5 Pro x 2
Vectra S2 Return Pump
VorTech MP40mQD Pump x 2
Tunze Osmolator ATO

Using a Spectrapure MaxCap 90 GPD-MF 5 stage RODI system with an Aqua Life Smart Buddie Booster Pump that brings the PSI in my home from 58 PSI to a range of 80-100 PSI.

I installed 3 rechargeable motion sensor LED lights to provide light in the sump area. I'm using the Mobius app to control everything.

I added 45 lbs of special grade sand and 40 lbs of Aqua Forrest Reef Rock. I'm going to start the cycle in the next couple of days with Polyp Lab Genesis Rock Booster Pack (bacteria and 2 plates), as well as some Ammonia.

To perform testing, I'm using a Milwaukee MA887 Digital Refractometer and a Salifert Test Kit.

What I need to do next is to get a QT together and up and running as well as look into a lid of some sort for the display tank. WaterBox sells one for my tank set up all ready to go, but it's a bit pricey. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for lids.

Tank looks like it is doing well!!

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get a lid! Tanks definitely look better without them but I've heard my blue spotted jawfish hitting the dang lid one too many times!!

7gsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tank.jpeg

sump.JPG

controller board.jpeg

Equipment

Waterbox Marine Cabinet
Radion XR15 G5 Pro x 2
Vectra S2 Return Pump
VorTech MP40mQD Pump x 2
Tunze Osmolator ATO

looks super cool man

i bneed to get the booster for my rodi system too. just never pulled the trigger on it.

OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my parameters seemed to have zeroed out for Ammonia and Nitrite. I did a 25% water change and the Nitrates are at 20.

I decided it was time to test the tank out and add 2 trochus snails and 1 gold ring cowrie! YAY!

Attachments

• 1EE5CF3C-2EB5-44ED-BD34-65CAC824F4E0.jpeg
    1EE5CF3C-2EB5-44ED-BD34-65CAC824F4E0.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 35
  • E67A6CF3-FB55-4977-937C-E8927BCDD301.jpeg
    E67A6CF3-FB55-4977-937C-E8927BCDD301.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 18

7gsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my parameters seemed to have zeroed out for Ammonia and Nitrite. I did a 25% water change and the Nitrates are at 20.

I decided it was time to test the tank out and add 2 trochus snails and 1 gold ring cowrie! YAY!
i say throw in some coral. i started with hammers, a bernardapora, and zoas cant go wrong!

if your tank is reallllly set the hammer should take off being happy

7gsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

also always test your parameters at the exact time every time you test. Nutrients flux throughout the day so having a time set specific for testing is key in getting accurate results.

OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some new members to the tank this afternoon. Along with the 2 Trochus, 1 Gold Ring Cowrie and Stomatella hitchhiker, I added 3 Bumblebees, 3 Turbos, 2 Tectus, 2 Cleaner shrimp, a tiny hermit crab that came as a hitchhiker, and the star of the show, Gregory, the Longnose hawk fish! I also added a red mushroom!

Attachments

• 179A8217-8BA8-4C52-A8E1-5167AA4E1892.jpeg
    179A8217-8BA8-4C52-A8E1-5167AA4E1892.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 1BF47F54-42CD-42F9-98B7-0D2606C8D3A5.jpeg
    1BF47F54-42CD-42F9-98B7-0D2606C8D3A5.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 22
  • 0350DA0A-3791-4D20-A111-8116AB759458.jpeg
    0350DA0A-3791-4D20-A111-8116AB759458.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my cycle seems to be stuck and my nitrates are in the 50s which caused an outbreak of algae. Even after a water change it doesn’t go down. I put in a bag of purigen. I put in an octo elite 150 INT skimmer. It overflows and the emergency shut off doesn’t seem to work. Ordered a lid and just waiting for it to be delivered. Woke up this morning and noticed my Longnose Hawkfish jumped into the fishnet by my R/O reservoir yesterday evening. Must have spooked it when doing a vacuum vac of the sandbed and moving a few pieces of live rock. It sucks but at least it wasn’t the two black storm clownfish! Frustrated but will survive. Can’t wait until the lid arrives.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back